1.    #1  
    Maybe this is a rant. Maybe it's constructive criticism. I just want to know if anyone else is feeling the same as me.

Basically, I saw the videos of the Pre online, and thought - that looks nice. Some shortcomings, but so polished that it's acceptable. I might get one. Then 1.2.0 happened and fixed a lot of my gripes. when it came out in the UK, I couldn't resist.

Now here's my $0.02

I was shocked to find my Pre didn't have 1.2.1. It has 1.1.3, like all UK Pres. I simply can't understand this. I mean, yeah it's ok, but so much functionality is missing, and this is what people will be comparing to the iPhone and will be getting reviewed.

The average user does not know that 1.3 is coming out. They don't care. The fact of the matter is, 35pm is too much for something that can't forward texts, has a less than average camera and no turn-by-turn GPS app. It's a shame, because I know the device is awesome, but Palm have really shot themselves in the foot here, as first impressions really count, and ultimately determine whether a device is going to sink or swim.

The apps are, for the most part very boring and ineffective. I don't need 20 tip calculators, 10 weather apps and some news feeds. We need commercial apps like a (proper) geocaching app, an intergrated Facebook app (although Friendflow is geting there).

I am getting more and more wound up that I keep finding things that I can't do, like opening zip files, play DivX, send files by bluetooth, or view the file system of my device!

I mean, I know I have to cut it some slack. It's new. Well it's not that new. 6 months almost. There should be a dedicated FB app. Bluetooth A2DP shouldn't crackle. I shouldn't drop so many calls. This is all sounding very Micro$oft 'coming soon'. 85% ready is not ready enough.

Fingers crossed for Droid in the UK, eh?
    docter it on sprint to 1.2.1 but sadly you are right the average customer will be put off
    UK PRE USER
  3.    #3  
    I did consider that, but I can't be bothered removing all the Sprint stuff from it, and I would also be a bit worried about losing the app store and then having difficulty when it comes to upgrading to the UK firmware when ti eventually arrives.

My point really is, it's almost too late. I mean, if 1.3 came out now it'd be almost too late, but chances are it won't be out for a while. If a phone comes out and a month later, people are still saying saying:

"don't buy this phone; it can't do X. Buy an iPhone instead".

then that is the end of it really. It's lost

I do wish Palm would stop *****ing about at these conferences and just finish their OS, or at least let us know what's coming in the new build with a rough date! If the O2 staff could say "in 2 weeks you'll be able to do video" etc, and reviewers knew this, I think the Pre would shift a lot more units, and therefore be more attractivve to Devs, giving us more/better apps.
    I agree, there needs to be much more updates and faster. Plus its not like its cheap. In my house we have both the iphone and the pre. Each time I pick up the iphone I know its expensive and it feels it too.
    Hopefully the updates come soon. Otherwise I don't think the investment is worth it
    I think I will wait 9 months till i can cancel contract then weigh up my options but tbh I like my pre alot I have virtual keyboard on this and am so happy I didn't get iphone. apps arnt the biggest thing for me same as video tbh qwerty,multi and look of the phone does it for me !
    UK PRE USER
  6.    #6  
    Yeah I'm not really too fussy about apps myself. All I ever installed on my WinMo phone was TomTom and Coreplayer for movies.

However, with the Pre missing so much functionality, we could do with some apps to fill the missing pieces. Plus, I think apps do mean a lot to the average consumer and it will generate a lot of interest for the device.

Something launched as a 'smartphone' in 2009 should have everything integrated.

I never for a second imagined that with all the synergy marketing there wouldn't be a dedicated FB app. x.facebook.com won't even let me see picture comments, and the browser won't let me open m.facebook.com (just forwards me to x.facebook.com) so I can't even see a lot of facebook content without loading the whole desktop version which doesn't render properly.

As I found last night, Google Maps is not a suitable alternative to a proper sat nav application. At least not in Birmingham. It's terrible, and your position just jumps around all the time. With no compass, it's hard to tell which way you're facing until you've started moving the wrong way down a road. Not to mention we don't have layers, can't save locations and there's no street view. This should all have been included on launch if this phone is going to compete with iPhone, RIM, or even Windows!

Where's the last.fm & spotify? These are things that should have been included really. I mean, it's obvious that consumers will want these things from a phone priced the same as the iPhone, and it's unfair to expect dev's to knock out quality apps for them quickly. They should have been made and either included, or available for download from day 1. Saying that, I am surprised that after 6 months there are no apps for them.

Like I said, I know this stuff will come as we have some great devs, but the average consumer doesn't know this. If Joe Bloggs is in a shop and there's a Pre, iPhone, Droid and HTC Touch HD 2 in a line, all priced the same... well let's put it this way. Only one of them lacks sat nav, video camera, bluetooth file send, music streaming, facebook app, last.fm syncing, google maps with street view, Myspace, MSN chat, visually enriched games...

I just hope Palm get their act together soon before it is REALLY too late.
    Seems like you just wish you'd made a better investment. It's not like you couldn't have found out all of this stuff before you bought the Pre just by doing some research and looking into a phone's drawbacks before you drop your cash on it. Part of buying a newly designed phone with a brand new OS is that there are going to be a lot of things it can't do yet. I understand you're impatient that there are features you want that the phone you bought can't do, but it never claimed to be able to do them and if the missing features were so important to you then you probably should have gone with one of the other phones you mentioned.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    Seems like you just wish you'd made a better investment. It's not like you couldn't have found out all of this stuff before you bought the Pre just by doing some research and looking into a phone's drawbacks before you drop your cash on it. Part of buying a newly designed phone with a brand new OS is that there are going to be a lot of things it can't do yet. I understand your impatient that there are features you want that the phone you bought can't do, but it never claimed to be able to do them and if the missing features were so important to you then you probably should have gone with one of the other phones you mentioned.
    I know, I know. And I did look into the Pre a whole lot before I got it. The thing is, I've come from Windows Mobile so I'm used to assuming that I'm bottom of the pile with commercial apps that everyone else has and have to bodge solutions :P I assumed the pre would be better.

To be honest, on a premium phone "bluetooth" to me implies bluetooth for more than just crackly audio. "Google Maps" I assumed would be similar Google Maps on every other platform, or even every other platform 3 years ago. Windows got street view etc ages after everyone else, but did get it. I never thought it'd be worse! Most of this is stuff that I wouldn't even consider might not be included, because there are even crappy Java apps that can do this stuff.

Don't get me wrong, the Pre is awesome. Everything it does,it does nicely, it's nice and small and there's no other phone I'd really prefer at the moment. However in terms of technical capability (and tbh build quality), I do feel like I've downgraded from my old HTC Touch Pro in every respect other than task manager. It genuinely does make my life less convenient owning a Pre.

For example, I played a gig last night in Birmingham. The Google Maps got us lost repeatedly (to the extent that we were late for the show and had to cut songs from the set). I couldn't take a video MMS of the crowd for Funeral For a Friend to send my dad. I can't use the flash as a torch to light the back of my amp when wiring up on the dark stage. Maybe I just rely on my phone more than the average person, so for such a premium, lacking these things is more of an issue.

Anyway, my point is not that I'm a little bitter (even at myself for assuming that this stuff would be included), but more that I KNOW this product could have been 50% better with things that could easily have been included in the software by now. I think if Palm budgeted for a few more programmers to work on it, these missing features could have made a lot of difference to the Pre's sales and all-important first impression.

I've seen the video of a palm engineer showing how easy it is to make / customize apps, adding features live onstage in under 5 minutes. So why haven't they thrown together for example a FaceBook app? I am willing to bet that thousands of people haven't bought this product just because it lacks a social networking manager - surely it would have been worth it? The maind worry for me is this:

I bought an i-Mate 9502. I'm not sure if anyone used i-Mate, but they were huge. They began to struggle (sound familiar?) then immediately ran out of money and stopped generating updates. I was left with a 400 phone that lacked a lot of promised features and dropped calls constantly. It just seems like Palm's stocks are falling so fast that they could be the next i-Mate and by not disclosing what features are coming, and ignoring services that would be popular to consumers they're not going to shift enough units to survive and develop the fantastic platform.
    Is it just me, or does there seem to be more unsatisfied UK owners of the pre than there are in the US?

In any case Mike, I hear your gripes. There have been times, when trying to answer a phone call on my pre, where it simply takes ages to pick up, or it takes so long to connect, the caller has already hung up. there are some rough edges with the device, so i'm holding onto the hope that PALM will get their Scheisse together on that stuff. Overall though, the Pre is a pretty good experience. This is coming from somone that had an iPhone for a year.

Hang in there. Things can't get worse, right? And I doubt Palm would ever meet the same fate as i-mate...*knocking on wood*
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderfry View Post
    Is it just me, or does there seem to be more unsatisfied UK owners of the pre than there are in the US?

In any case Mike, I hear your gripes. There have been times, when trying to answer a phone call on my pre, where it simply takes ages to pick up, or it takes so long to connect, the caller has already hung up. there are some rough edges with the device, so i'm holding onto the hope that PALM will get their Scheisse together on that stuff. Overall though, the Pre is a pretty good experience. This is coming from somone that had an iPhone for a year.

Hang in there. Things can't get worse, right? And I doubt Palm would ever meet the same fate as i-mate...*knocking on wood*
    I think that about hits the nail on the head. It's a good device, but for a few minor bits and pieces it could be a GREAT device, and one of the key players. Unofrtunately, things tend to get judged on what they can do when they're released.

I think the reason GSM owners are complaining more is because we only have 1.1.3 so a load of the stuff we thought we were getting isn't there! Also, I get a lot of dropped calls. And I mean a lot. Like 1 in ever 4 either fails to connect or drops out mid-call. It makes a hell of a noise at full volume in your ear when it drops it too! I'll be deaf soon at this rate :P
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderfry View Post

to be fair we in the UK get new shiny phones every year! they dont seem to get the amount of phones we do over there.

Plus you need to remember in the uk we're generally brutally honest and like to complain!

plus it doesnt help that we can even update to the current firmware at least that would solve some of the problems, right now i cant trust the phone to wake me up in the morning, as its most likely to have died during the night
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    to be fair we in the UK get new shiny phones every year! they dont seem to get the amount of phones we do over there.
    You know what, I think this used to be the case, but since the iPhone all the best handsets seem to be getting released in America first now. I am so envious of the Droid!
    wish that was the case but not... look at the HD2... no plans for a US release and that is one super looking and super running phone.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_freegan View Post
    You know what, I think this used to be the case, but since the iPhone all the best handsets seem to be getting released in America first now. I am so envious of the Droid!
  14.    #14  
    Wow, I didn't realise that wasn't coming out in the US! Well tbh, I need qwerty and a flash on the camera. Palm Pre and my old Touch Pro are STILL the only smartphones that really cut it (not a fan of the N97's disgusting UI), so until the Droid hits the UK, I'm praying that the Pre's 1.3 firmware has some nice surprises :P
    I hear you all out and I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately I also feel neglacted. I flashed my Pre with the Sprint firmware. You can find "patches" to hide most of the Sprint apps. You can get a patch to create new navigational pages and even move them to a new page so you dont have to see them.

Thing is the Pre is missing several important features. People talk about Facebook. Well not everyone is a FB freak or cares about it. Ok I got an FB account but I couldn't care less if there is no app for the Pre. I don't need or want to update my statues 10 times a day and check out half naked chicks that are not even my real friends.

Apps likes a proper navigation app, BT transfer, video recording, open codec support to stream more formats over the net and a few more are really things you expect from any smart phone. At least the last three !!! I knew exactly what I was buying when I did. However in order to flash your phone, add patches etc you dont need to "jailbreak" your phone like you got to do with an iphone and you don't void your warranty as far as I am concerned.

Also development is totally open, so this really helps to find/request patches or even write your own. You dont have to use the ******** itunes app to copy some music on your phone. You can truly multitask. You dont have to use your pc to delete your music files from your phone. I mean really...ppl swear by apple but what other device apart from the iphone & ipod doesn't let you manage files on it?

I agree that it may be till Xmas till we see some of these things fixed, and from reading the posts on pre central it looks like the Pixie will ship with new OS and soon enough I think there will be an update for the Pre. I just think we need to be a bit patient and I seriously do not think that the iphone would have been a better choice.
    I hear you all out and I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately I also feel neglacted. I flashed my Pre with the Sprint firmware. You can find "patches" to hide most of the Sprint apps. You can get a patch to create new navigational pages and even move them to a new page so you dont have to see them.

Thing is the Pre is missing several important features. People talk about Facebook. Well not everyone is a FB freak or cares about it. Ok I got an FB account but I couldn't care less if there is no app for the Pre. I don't need or want to update my statues 10 times a day and check out half naked chicks that are not even my real friends.

Apps likes a proper navigation app, BT transfer, video recording, open codec support to stream more formats over the net, full use of the 8gb space and a few more are really things you expect from any smart phone. I knew exactly what I was buying when I did. However in order to flash your phone, add patches etc you dont need to "jailbreak" your phone like you got to do with an iphone and you don't void your warranty as far as I am concerned.

Also development is totally open, so this really helps to find/request patches or even write your own. You dont have to use the ******** itunes app to copy some music on your phone. You can truly multitask. You dont have to use your pc to delete your music files from your phone. I mean really...ppl swear by apple but what other device apart from the iphone & ipod doesn't let you manage files on it?

I agree that it may be till Xmas till we see some of these things fixed, and from reading the posts on pre central it looks like the Pixie will ship with new OS and soon enough I think there will be an update for the Pre. I just think we need to be a bit patient and I seriously do not think that the iphone would have been a better choice.
    I've got an HTC Hero, Pre and iPhone. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. The Hero has loads of apps, most of which are pretty grim and the equivalents on the Pre are frankly much better even though obviously things are a bit threadbare on the App Catalogue to date. The free Accuweather for Pre is way better than any app on Android, the free Feeder RSS app although basic is also way better than any better paid Android RSS app. Likewise, the free FliqTasks is a cut above the heaps of poor Android stuff I tried out.
    I like the Hero and the Pre and iPhone but end up using the Pre more. There are a lot of niggles with the Hero, screen goes off on calls after about 2 seconds, wifi fails to connect too regularly, the camera is crap for a supposed 5 megapixel shooter and is not as good as the Pre one, there's no mac support for updating firmware, the screen has a mind of its own and shoots off to the right now and again and the keyboard is awful. Oh...and you'd better get used to badly coded software crashing the device on a daily basis to the point of I have virtually stopped downloading shoddy-made-in-a-bedroom-in-5-minutes software.
    In comparison the pre connects to wifi every time, has a decent keyboard, hasn't crashed once, has a decent camera and has a better phone set up and better reception than the Hero. The Calendar app, in my view, is also better than on Android. Believe me, the standard of apps is much higher to date on the Pre.
    All these phones have their faults and what would be ideal would be if we could take the best bits of the iPhone, Hero and Pre and make our own phones but that ain't going to happen. I happen to like the Pre a lot and use it a lot more than the Hero and am hopeful that Palm will keep developing the underlying OS and thus keep it up to date. Version 1.3 with paid apps will come and that will be an improvement.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I think I fall into the category of those who didnt research properly before buying. I once owned the iphone for 2 weeks but after finding out how limited it was it went back within 14 days. I then stuck it out with winmo for a year since and like mentioned above, we were always the last to get something and tbh the os was pants.
    So I looked up reviews on the palm and it looked great, seemed to have the looks of the iphone in regards to apps, but more functional.
    How surprised was I when I got home only to find its well behind all the phones I saw reviewed and all the updates I read about werent actually available to me.
    To me im sat on the fence at the minute, I have 12 days to decide whether or not to return it as I eventually did the iphone and im hanging onto my omnia until then. A promise of 1.3 in europe from palm might be enough to hold me but so far its only rumours and if they didnt release 1.2, theres no reason to expect 1.3 in my opinion, it wont be the first time ive been left behind with software updates just because I was on the o2 network.

So, I dunno, I love the phone but some word from palm on future intentions would probably be appreciated.
  19.    #19  
    I couldn't agree more. Everything on the Pre that is there is lovely. It's UI is as pretty and finger friendly as the iPhone, but with a flash and keyboard which is exactly what I wanted.

Here's some awesome things I like about the Pre:

1. Calendar's ace. Multi-calendars in one is great.
    2. Camera is fast and has a flash.
    3. GPS fix happens quickly
    4. Browser is nice and reasonably fast for O2.
    5. Apps in general look nice and don't leak memory.
    6. Synergy is a nice touch. I wish MSN would play with it nicely as no-one uses AIM in the UK.
    7. Really impressed with when I exchanged my pre and everything was restored automatically from my Pre account!
    8. Task management and gestures make using it a pleasure.

Bad things:

1. I use colour coding on my calendar. Blue for band, green for work, red for personal. the Pre has used colour coding to show which calendar the items come from (exchange, gmail, facebook). It has made my coding redundant.

2. Synergy doesn't really work properly. I registered myemailaddress@gmail.com when I signed up with my Palm profile. Some things sync from this, but some things (calendar etc) only work when I type my email address as '@googlemail.com'. So I have to have 2 separate accounts on everything syncing, one @googlemail.com and one @gmail.com. Kinda makes the beautiful synergyness ineffectve.

3. I would like some apps / patches to improve real functionality and add features rather than another calculator app, or weather app. I put this down to Palm not giving the devs enough to work with and no graphics chip use for games!

4. No suitable navigation in the UK. As mentioned, googlemaps is the only one and it's rubbish and stripped of even basic features. I thought I could live with Googlemaps instead of TOMTOM, but I'm struggling as this version is so poor, even compared to the ****-ugly WinMo version.

5. Bluetooth sucks. Stereo audio is crackly and no file send.

6. The camera sucks as soon as you look at the photos on a computer screen it's grainy and the lack of auto-focus becomes apparent. I saw this coming but as it's been so long since I had a cameraphone without autofocus, I forgot how awful it is. It didn't cross my mind at the time of purchase, but no auto-focus means none of those useful barcode scanning and character recognition apps which are genuinely useful.