1.    #1  
    Today..at work..my Pre fell out of my pocket and struck the ground. From what I'm guessing, it knocked it off of its slider rail or broke its hinge, because now it will not close. If i try to close it, it feels as if the two halves will seperate completely.

I went into my local Sprint store and they saw it was physical damage, so I was directed to call the insurance company. I'm going to pay my 100 dollar deductible and I'll have a new Pre tomorrow. So after my Pre was run over by an ambulance (link: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ambulance.html ), dropped down about a dozen stairs at a Detroit Red Wings game while getting beer spilled on it, had beer accidentally spilled on it by others while sitting at the bar at my local pub, and the countless times I've accidentally hit it off my Touchstone on my nightstand while trying to hit snooze in the morning, it finally breaks with a two foot fall at work.

I have had my Pre for about 3-4 months now, and have pretty much put it through hell and for it to have to be replaced now, after all that, is pretty damn good IMO. I just know that I'll miss the little guy. Its screen scratches and gashes were like badges of honor, character marks, and just an overall feeling of personality. I'll also miss all the homebrew apps that I have downloaded over the past few months because some of them are now pay apps.

But I guess now I can start anew, and with all the knowledge I obtained with my first Pre. All the rooting knowledge and the hours upon hours I spent running command lines to apply my very first theme to my Pre before they had it the easy way now with WebOSQI, and all the patches applied in a similar fashion. It will be a rather different journey with this new Pre, but one that I welcome with open arms, because if its anywhere near as fun as the first ride then I'm in good hands.

I love this phone, there I said it. I love it. Every little and big thing that you can do with it. Granted its not perfect, but that's its appeal to me. This phone has SOUL. Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear explains this idea well in his best selling book "I know you got soul". He explains how machines like the Ford GT40 and the B-52 bomber can have that feeling of humanity behind them because they were flawed, just as we are. He talks of the AK47 and the Millennium Falcon as if they were people in a room, and I feel as if the Pre could be sitting there right there with them. The Pre can reflect its owner, form fitted for their every day life. Yes, the Pre has its shortcomings and its taken about 60 patches for mine to be how I want it, but to me this product is like a new person in the world and is constantly evolving just as we are.

Sorry, I know I went off on a little bit of a tangent there, but thats what this phone does to me. This started as a small post about how happy I have been with this phone and somehow turned into a little testimonial for Palm's great product.

My bad..lol
    I also dropped the phone a couple of feet - this past Sunday (it was in what seems to be fairly protective leather case) and the screen cracked.

Sunday: Went to Sprint Store - They told me to call Sprint Customer Service.
    Called Sprint Customer Service - They emailed me insurance forms.
    Faxed forms to insurance company.

Monday: Insurance company calls to tell me that I have to put in a case before they can process the claim. The forms I faxed them did not constitute opening a case. Put in a case with insurance company.

Wednesay: Phone arrives and looks like new. Down $100.

If it happens again I think the whole process can be accomplished online at:
    Phoneclaim.com
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, my Sprint rep whom I have worked with for a few years now when I went from Rumor to Centro to Pre told me about phoneclaim.com and I would've went there but I had stopped at the Sprint store on the way home from work anf just spoke to the Asurion rep over the phone. The on hold recording reminded me I could use phoneclaim.com quite a few times..lol.
  4.    #4  
    did they send you a new Pre or a refurb?
    Hey i went and filed a claim this morning because my wife lost her phone last nite. I did the entire process through phoneclaim.com. Very simple, fast, & straight forward. Two questions though my deductible fee was only $50 is because it was my very first claim? Second has more to do with the phone wipe from palm does it wipe the entire phone even usb files.? Ohh third if the lost phone is off and i already get my replacement does the wipe signal still process for the original lost phone till completed?
    Last edited by QuietStorm21A; 10/31/2009 at 10:18 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm21A View Post
    Hey i went and filed a claim this morning because my wife lost her phone last nite. I did the entire process through phoneclaim.com. Very simple, fast, & straight forward. Two questions though my deductible fee was only $50 is because it was my very first claim? Second has more to do with the phone wipe from palm does it wipe the entire phone even usb files.? Ohh third if the lost phone is off and i already get my replacement does the wipe signal still process for the original lost phone till completed?
    Wow, ummm, I wish I had the answers to these questions, but I still have my original Pre. I plugged my phone into my laptop and used USB mode and just transferred the files onto my laptop and then onto my new Pre. So I have no idea what Palm does when a phone is reported lost.

Sorry...wish I could have been more helpful.
    I'm also getting a replacment phone due to some keys on the kb not responding. Is there a quick way to backup all the information on the old phone to the new phone like the Treo? I tried searching but couldn't find any info?
    Quote Originally Posted by choile View Post
    I'm also getting a replacment phone due to some keys on the kb not responding. Is there a quick way to backup all the information on the old phone to the new phone like the Treo? I tried searching but couldn't find any info?
    Most of your settings for contacts, calendar, email & apps from the catalog get backed up by the palm back up system.

The system came in handy for the NEW (cant believe they gave me new one for the wife) to restore most of her setings and apps. Sprint Insurance is the best and well worth the money.