Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I need some help and figured I should just turn to all of you. Which is the best RSS Reader out there for the Pre?

I mainly use it to read the feeds of select newspapers. I know I could just go on the web on the phone to read, but RSS is easier.

Which do you all recommend?

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matty3054 View Post
    I need some help and figured I should just turn to all of you. Which is the best RSS Reader out there for the Pre?

I mainly use it to read the feeds of select newspapers. I know I could just go on the web on the phone to read, but RSS is easier.

Thanks in advance.
    Right now, there are 3 Pre-based readers (plus web-based ones, including Google Reader which works very well with the Pre's browser).

If you're OK with a browser app and have a constant high-speed data connection, Google Reader is the best.

If you want something Pre-based, Feeds is a free (for now?) homebrew app that works well. It has some bugs, requires a data connection (it doesn't sync for offline reading), but it works with Google Reader. It's missing a few nice features, like "read later" and the ability to e-mail.

Scoop is 99 cents in the catalog. It's very similar to Feeds. It has its own bugs. It also works with Google Reader. It includes a few advanced Google features like star (read later), mark unread (Feeds doesn't), and "like." Some report good success with offline reading, but this has not been my experience. It's big problem is that you can't jump to full articles.

NewsRoom is very pretty, but very limited. It's meant for people that don't care to track what they read/didn't read, don't need more than 30 articles to a feed, don't need more than 9 feeds (although this is supposed to be fixed in the next release). It has an odd user interface. However, it does full offline reading.

If you want a traditional RSS Reader, go with Feeds or Scoop. If you need offline and are willing to give up a lot in terms of functionality and features, then go with NewsRoom. It's the most expensive, at $5. I found it so lacking, however, in usefulness, that I got a refund from the developer.

So, start with Feeds. It's free.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I'm a big fan of Tweed, so I was tempted to try out Scoop... but I can't see a compelling reason to choose it over Google Reader. By using the iPhone optimized version of the site, I have a fully functional RSS reader that is fast and always in sync with my desktop. Am I missing out on something that these other apps offer?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    use the new my yahoo customized website. it is super fast and can handle any rss feed really well.
    I use googleread (web based) for mostly all my feeds. Very simple and has many features these other readers should but do not provide.

lately I've been trying to consolidate all my web needs to one page. I've yet to find a site able to do it. Minus the ugly format (UI), keytoss seems to hold the crown... For now. Oh, reason for the Keytoss mention, you can add feeds there.
    Well, I hate the Google Reader website on the Pre because it hogs memory and the scrolling is messed up. I use Feeds because of the folder integration and the need to view the original article. I just wish it had the abikity to star.
    NewsRoom has potential to be a good reader, but Palm won't release the updates the developer has sent Palm weeks ago.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    NewsRooms is GREAT. Well worth the $5.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    The scrolling on the web version of google reader is not optomized for the pre which can make for a very frustrating experience. It will do in a pinch.

For me it's between scoop and feeds. Feeds is pretty reliable, offers folder support and allows you access to the original web site from the feed.

Scoops offers advanced google reader functions like starring. But you can't access links inside the reader. It is also slower scrolling and accessing feeds.

For now Feeds is the best for me.

(I tried Newsroom and didn't like it. Still limited to 9 feeds and doesn't hook into Google)
    Quote Originally Posted by matty3054 View Post

Thanks in advance.
    I prefer Netvibes to Google reader.

Netvibes works quite well in the Pre browser, especially when veiwing feeds through the Netvibes iPhone portal (iphone.netvibes.com).

The full web version of Netvibes does work in the Pre browser, but the iPhone formatted version is much faster, especially over cell connections.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibfib View Post
    +1

But I also use feeds (feeds rocks!)
    -mark
    feeds works fine i see no reason to spend five
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosenbaaron View Post
    feeds works fine i see no reason to spend five
    Feeds and newsdesk both have their place.. newsdesk makes looking throug headlines a pleasurable experience.. Feeds can handle larger number of feeds. Also newsdesk caches (so you can update before a flight/read on the flight)

-m
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibfib View Post
    How do you keep track of what you're read vs. not read?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    i love scoop. it is almost perfect... except you cant open the original posts. basically makes it unusable for me. i hope they update it because it has a lot of potential.
    I get major problems with feeds. The load more never works right. To many feeds I guess.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    How do you keep track of what you're read vs. not read?
    It keeps track of what you haven't read. The app tells you when there are new posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonrw View Post
    i love scoop. it is almost perfect... except you cant open the original posts. basically makes it unusable for me. i hope they update it because it has a lot of potential.
    I heard back from the Scoop developers (Pivotal Labs) that they're definitely going to add a link to the original post and folders in an update. They didn't say when, but they've been quick to update Tweed so I'm hopeful.

I agree--add those two functions, and Scoop will be a great app.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I bought Scoop because I was frustrated with google reader on the browser, and because I enjoy Tweed. So far I am happy with it. Would like to see the basic adds they say are coming (folders, and link to original), but even without I think well worth the 99 cents for my needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I heard back from the Scoop developers (Pivotal Labs) that they're definitely going to add a link to the original post and folders in an update. They didn't say when, but they've been quick to update Tweed so I'm hopeful.

I agree--add those two functions, and Scoop will be a great app.
    I hope it's soon. I'll buy it as soon as they do that. Without a link to the article, it's really quite useless. I'm dying to use it otherwise.

Right now I'm using the Newsweek app as my reader (and it sux, BTW) and I'm afraid to drop $5 on NewsRoom.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast