1.    #1  
    Okay, so heres my problem. I recently bought a Touchstone Kit for my Pre (which i think may be getting some cracks but thats for a different post) and i set it up, looks great on my dresser and everything. i put the phone on it and it kept re notifying me with the "battery charging" message, over and over, it was really annoying and im not sure why, only seems to do this when its fully/almost fully charged (maybe a software issue, not recognizing that the phone has a power source?) but what really got me was when i woke up this morning the phone was dead, i tired to re place it on the dock but i got a question mark cord picture. finally i took the cable and plugged in my phone for a few minutes to get it to about 12% and went to class, so far i have not had anymore trouble with it today. i was wondering if anyone else has had problems like this and how many, knowing that only a small portion of the world is on here id just like to get an idea of any solutions and how many people are having this problem before i start throwing out numbers at a palm representative when i call them about this. thanks for any help and i really hope this is just a small issue for your sake.
    This happened to one of our Pres after it was left incorrectly positioned on the Touchstone. If it isn't correctly positioned it will keep on bringing up the charge notification. After we left it like this for a while, it wouldn't charge on the Touchstone. A full restart brought it back just fine! Give that a try if you haven't already.
  3.    #3  
    ive looked at all the suggstions i can find, i make sure its seated just right and "locks" into place and ive restarted it, ive reattached the backplate, and ive even taken out the battery and put it back. nothing i seem to do helps, i think im gunna call palm (not that i expect much) and see what they have to say. worse case ill use that fancy warranty they provide and get a new dock or backplate or both. ill be sure to post what they say after i call them
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I had the same issue. Called up Palm and they asked me to take it to Sprint store to test and see if it worked with other phones.
    The Sprint store tech checked it out and said that the back cover was bad.
    Called back Palm...and they are sending a replacement, should be here tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
    ive looked at all the suggstions i can find, i make sure its seated just right and "locks" into place and ive restarted it, ive reattached the backplate, and ive even taken out the battery and put it back. nothing i seem to do helps, i think im gunna call palm (not that i expect much) and see what they have to say. worse case ill use that fancy warranty they provide and get a new dock or backplate or both. ill be sure to post what they say after i call them
    I had the same issue with my new UK Palm Pre. Turns out the two very small connectors on the body of the pre that connect to the touchstone back cover were not quite aligned (one prong was slightly lower than the other) used a pencil and lifted it up slightly and taadaa. Charging.

This is of course assuming you have placed the phone on the touch stone properly.
    i used to have the same issue with my german pre. the thing is...it turns out to be a line of issues.

the software approach:
    the power management stops charging the pre until it hits 98%. depending on network coverage, the fact that the display is on, open cards, etc. that happens after a couple of seconds or after a couple of minutes.
    Talking to my sales rep here in germany he said, a future update will adress this issue.

the hardware approach:
    positioning is a tricky thing i admit, but practice does handle that. another thing are the charging contacts inside the pre. most people made good experiences with the bending of these contacts. but be careful for chist sakes. you CAN OVERDO that.
    another thing here is the heating issue. heat bends plastic, metal and all that. personally i've made a good experience by leaving the slide open while charging on the touchstone so the heat can be diminished a little (only a little, don't expect a cool pre using that trick)

greetz the captain
  7.    #7  
    ive tried all the hardware approaches, still does the same thing, im going to call palm today, the nearest sprint store is at least 45 mins away, so i would really rather not have to take it there, if it is a software issue, i guess i will just wait for the next update (i used to have an instinct so waiting for updates to things that should work already is something im used to)
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    I had the same issue. Called up Palm and they asked me to take it to Sprint store to test and see if it worked with other phones.
    The Sprint store tech checked it out and said that the back cover was bad.
    Called back Palm...and they are sending a replacement, should be here tomorrow.
    Got the new backcover today. It works perfectly.