Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    has anyone else gotten an error when trying to get a picture message that says the device is full and you have to delete files to make memory? I deleted a bunch of text messages and the message keeps coming up...any ideas?
    I haven't seen that myself ... but FWIW there's a lot more data in a picture than in text message, so deleting a few texts probably won't free up enough space for the picture. Do you have other messages with pictures that can be deleted?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I've had this happen in my messaging convos. Just copy the picture to your photos if it's important (goes into a folder called "messaging") or just delete the picture message if it's not important to free up space.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    This happened to me today for the first time. Sure wish the Pre's memory was partitioned in such a way that that wouldn't happen-- my "device" is certainly nowhere near full! If there were a simple way to back up text messages I wouldn't mind so much. Sure, the photos themselves are easily saved, but I tend to like to keep conversations.
    The newest version of preware integrated the functionality that was a separate install for taking care of one of the space limitations. The other space limitation can be remedied using the mvapp that can be installed with preware. With it you can move email which in many cases is one of the biggest space users and can also move apps so you can move the biggest apps making more room. SMS and MMS share the same storage space as email and apps do along with various other user data. These two things are perfect to use while the official fix is tested. Officially it has been said to be coming in an up coming release. The rumor is the one coming out along with the pixi release.
    i am getting the "device is full" message when i try to SEND media or video via text message not when receiving it...StoneRyno is the mvapp the same as the audio/video patch on Preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by lovely_olemiss View Post
    i am getting the "device is full" message when i try to SEND media or video via text message not when receiving it...StoneRyno is the mvapp the same as the audio/video patch on Preware?
    mvapp allows you to move apps and email (not sure what else) out of the /var space to I believe the same space that is seen as a drive when connecting to a PC. When working with messaging (email or otherwise) the messages used space in /var. So if you reach the upper limit of 100MB or less of free space or have no free space at all I assume it would generate an error. In the preware thread they detail commands that you can run in terminal or by accessing linux on the pre through putty if you prefer. These commands output how much if any free space is left and also I believe one to indicate how much is being used up and by what. I don't have them handy and i tend to forget the exact details as I don't use command line all that much. I'm not quite to expert level I still have to use reference material to find out how to do stuff I want to do with the command line. I do remember they use either du or df command with some options. If you have trouble finding them I can look them up. This is a quick visit to reply where needed tonight as I am watching movies with my brother.