1.    #1  
    I had never set up google contacts. But by default, google seems to send the Pre "All contacts". That means I get a bunch of irrelevant contacts just because somebody decides to spam their phonebook. It really diminishes the quality of my contact list. Is there a way of making Google send only the "My Contact" contacts? Are you google users 1) just dealing with a bunch of random contacts, 2) blowing away contacts as you get emails?

I have a few friends that constantly spam their friends list, and as a result I have hundreds of emails in google's "All Contacts" list that I don't care to see in my contact list.
    heh, currently, no way around the issue. In the future, who knows, anything's possible
    It will bring them all in initially, but after the fact--or even in the middle of the sync--you can simply delete the Google contacts profile under Contacts. That's what I did, and I've got no Google contacts on my phone.
    Since I spend a good portion of the day logged into Gmail via a browser, I quickly go through about once per week and remove any not wanted. I don't seem to have the issue (yet) when others "spam" their phonebooks, I usually only have one or two that I have to remove.

The Universal Search feature works amazingly and I rarely even have to look in Contacts any longer.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
    Since I spend a good portion of the day logged into Gmail via a browser, I quickly go through about once per week and remove any not wanted. I don't seem to have the issue (yet) when others "spam" their phonebooks, I usually only have one or two that I have to remove.

The Universal Search feature works amazingly and I rarely even have to look in Contacts any longer.

Do you use the google categories then to differentiate new ones (which would show as uncategorized)?

So, I can expect that every time my buddy spams his friend list about a ski trip (and then the ensuing mass replies) that I will find a slew of new "contacts" whom I know nothing about, eh? Oh joy.

Unfortunately, I can't contemplate severing gmail after the first synch, bcs even if I walk away from desktop forever, I still want my contacts available to me on a computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    heh, currently, no way around the issue. In the future, who knows, anything's possible
    There actually is one way to setup you gmail as exchange account for contacts and only for contacts and it just syncs your my contacts. I hope i explained it right and you dont get confused.

Google Sync on your mobile phone
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm21A View Post
    There actually is one way to setup you gmail as exchange account for contacts and only for contacts and it just syncs your my contacts. I hope i explained it right and you dont get confused.

Google Sync on your mobile phone
    Yes you are correct. Assign your Pre as an iphone and the "My Contacts" will sync to your Pre. It's a cool shortcut.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I am hoping with next update palm fixes it to sync with just my contacts. (and to also fix facebook synergy to sync what contacts we want* big wish)
    I still don't see why this is a big deal. Sure there's people in my contacts I've haven't talked to in years, but at the same time, I haven't opened the Contacts app a single time since getting the initial links set up.

Use Universal Search and you'll quickly forget about all the extra people.
    Quote Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
    Do you use the google categories then to differentiate new ones (which would show as uncategorized)?
    I do use Labels in Contacts. But I haven't been "spammed" like the OP stated. When I began exporting my contacts from my email client, I set up one set, another from contacts in my phone, etc. I thought I would have to import everything like all my other phones in the past, so I was very pleased to see that just logging in to Gmail brought in all my Email/Contacts/Calendar items.

The down side in Email seems to be not being able to use Labels and skipping the Inbox, so for now I've removed skipping the Inbox from the Filters, so I get notified from every email account.

Not being able to select a specific Contact list would be a nice addition after reading other posts, but I'm okay have all of them there, as I now use Universal Search rather than opening Contacts. It works amazingly fast.

So, I can expect that every time my buddy spams his friend list about a ski trip (and then the ensuing mass replies) that I will find a slew of new "contacts" whom I know nothing about, eh? Oh joy.
    Like I mentioned, I haven't seen that yet. Maybe a Filter feature will be added to remove or segregate addresses from All Contacts added by Google if enough people request it (hint for all Gmail users reading-Google won't know unless we tell them).

Unfortunately, I can't contemplate severing gmail after the first synch, bcs even if I walk away from desktop forever, I still want my contacts available to me on a computer.
    That's why I moved all my accounts from using a mail client (Thunderbird) to Gmail. Now I don't have to set up anything to check all the accounts, or log into multiple webmail accounts. Any computer with an internet connection can bring everything to me all at once. And the Pre does the rest!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I still don't see why this is a big deal. Sure there's people in my contacts I've haven't talked to in years, but at the same time, I haven't opened the Contacts app a single time since getting the initial links set up.

Use Universal Search and you'll quickly forget about all the extra people.
    I can't even begin to describe how much of a big deal it is for me. My contact list must remain *high quality*. It cannot be polluted with my friends' spam trash every time they send out something I don't care about. I don't care that universal search hides the trash. It's still trash, and one day when I port out to a CIM service, it's going to be trash. I can't have that.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
    I do use Labels in Contacts. But I haven't been "spammed" like the OP stated. When I began exporting my contacts from my email client, I set up one set, another from contacts in my phone, etc. I thought I would have to import everything like all my other phones in the past, so I was very pleased to see that just logging in to Gmail brought in all my Email/Contacts/Calendar items.

Any computer with an internet connection can bring everything to me all at once. And the Pre does the rest!
    I do like that aspect of cloud computing. That's why I want to make the jump.

In google, I don't know how to make it easily show me the contacts that *aren't* in "My Contacts." So I can't easily see the new contacts, even if I were to be diligent with keeping up with them as they show up. Anyone know how to do this?
    Check out nuevasync as well..similar exchange setup to the google one and works well, and is free for most bits!

NuevaSync - Push Email and Over-the-Air Synchronization for Your iPhone

Note: I don't have a Pre but a Treo Pro but says it's compatible..
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    In google, I don't know how to make it easily show me the contacts that *aren't* in "My Contacts." So I can't easily see the new contacts, even if I were to be diligent with keeping up with them as they show up. Anyone know how to do this?
    In Gmail (preferably on a computer with a large screen, NOT the Pre), when I click "Contacts" I get a window with 3 columns. All the groups are on the left with My Contacts at the top, and all the other groups are below it. Clicking on All Contacts shows me every one in one in all the groups. Taking a quick scroll down that list once a week keeps out the unknowns.