1.    #1  
    Hi Pre Folks,

Had a Pre that I bought at release but returned with various hardware concerns after about two weeks. Love the phone and OS, but the issues were enough of a concern for me to return it (though I know others were quite happy with theirs).

I'm wondering if the build quality has improved over the past few months - have things tightened up, or are the still twisting and cracking issues still fairly common with the latest builds?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    Hi Pre Folks,

Had a Pre that I bought at release but returned with various hardware concerns after about two weeks. Love the phone and OS, but the issues were enough of a concern for me to return it (though I know others were quite happy with theirs).

I'm wondering if the build quality has improved over the past few months - have things tightened up, or are the still twisting and cracking issues still fairly common with the latest builds?

Thanks!
    i wouldnt know...ive had my pre since it came out june 6th...so it all depends on the persons point of view and wut they believe...if i were u just go buy it and c for urself?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I have only had mine returned one time. That was after 3 weeks of having it. Even then it seemed alot better! They fixed the loose battery issue anyways. None of the screens I have had, had the Oreo affect. So I was lucky about that I guess!
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I highly doubt there's been anything major enough.
    The screens are good -- no dead pixels, no splotches, no hot spots -- but the oreo effect is still present. I returned my first Pre (purchased Oct. 5th) because of charging issues, and after going through pretty much the entire stock at my local Sprint store, we (as in myself and three reps there) came to the conclusion that they all exhibit the oreo effect to some degree or another. That said, it's minimal, and overall the Pre feels pretty solid.

My first Pre was a bit creaky, though -- it was the battery cover -- but this one is tight as a drum; more so now that I have the TS battery cover in place.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - Same goes for my wife's Pre (she upgraded from a Blackberry when I returned my first Pre) -- overall her's is fairly solid, with a great screen and minimal oreo effect.
    Sony: NR70, NX80
    Palm: III, V, Vx, IIIc, m505, LifeDrive, Treo 700p, Palm Pre
    Android: HTC Evo 4G
    I haven't seen any recent posts in this thread, and I wanted to solicit input, especially from recent Pre purchasers. I haven't taken the plunge and gotten a Pre yet, between a) having concerns about quality (especially the screen and case cracking problems) , and b) wondering if right after I decided to get a Pre they'll come out with Pre++ or something and I'll be kicking myself that I didn't continue to wait (I am on Sprint).

I am also curious if the Pixi has had the same screen and case cracking problems, or if this is just a problem with the Pre.

Adv-thanks-ance for any replies.
    The Pre I got last June must have had those so called "hardware improvements" because almost 10 months later it is still going strong, man I love this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    Hi Pre Folks,

Thanks!
    I bought my first one from a friend who had one from launch. It's oreo was a heck of a lot worse than the one I have now. Talked to a Sprint Tech and he had said the oreo was only covered for certain early models of the Pre. The newer ones for sprint have indeed had some work done, tightening and screen work too as far as I've noticed. My new one has a slight oreo (mostly my fault for how it opens) and the screen/home button are just as beautiful as day one (of the second one of course)
    From what I've read, there has been issues with some batchs of Pre phones, and they have made improvements to the new Pres that they build
  10. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I had a launch Pre with the oreo effect, which didn't bother me that much, so I kept it. Then some other issue with the volume rocker came up that I couldn't ignore, so I replaced it. My new Pre doesn't have the oreo effect, nor any other hardware issues. I'm quite happy with it.
    is there any way to tell from the pre packaging (or serial number, etc.) if a new pre is from a relatively recent/new batch as opposed to older batches that may have had some of the reported problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by cybern8 View Post
    is there any way to tell from the pre packaging (or serial number, etc.) if a new pre is from a relatively recent/new batch as opposed to older batches that may have had some of the reported problems?
    (US ONLY) Type ##786# on your phone app. A page will then pop up which will give you the activation date as well as the warranty date code (towards the bottom of the page) which I suppose is the date that it was manufactured. It will also let you know if it's a refurb and when it was reconditioned.
    Yep. warranty date code is generally date of manufacture. Old practice from retail sales and the like. If you buy something with a 90 day warranty, its supposed to start the day of purchase (would be pointless to have a warranty for a product that may sit on the shelf for four months...........), but if you can't provide a receipt that shows the day you bought it, the manufacturer can use date of manufacturer instead. HDD makers do that.

Mine's fine, November build. No creaking, no cracking, no wiggle, great screen, seems fine so far. Granted, I'm careful, but most people seem to be having issues under regular, moderate use without any accidental damage.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I just sent a brand-new, 1-day old Palm Pre Plus back to LetsTalk.com. The phone had a very slight oreo effect, and the flap door to the charger was REALLY difficult to open. This was my second try with the Pre -- still not liking the keyboard. I actually prefer a virtual keyboard! (Thought I would never say that.)
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    I just sent a brand-new, 1-day old Palm Pre Plus back to LetsTalk.com. The phone had a very slight oreo effect, and the flap door to the charger was REALLY difficult to open. This was my second try with the Pre -- still not liking the keyboard. I actually prefer a virtual keyboard! (Thought I would never say that.)
    You sent your phone back for that?!!! The charger door is brand new, it will always be hard to open. After a while it loosens up and is easy to open. And they all have the slight oreo effect, it's a slider after all.
    i tried searching the forums (fora?) for info on this and couldn't find it. does anyone know why palm dropped the center button on the palm pre plus? i am wondering if it was thought to be directly related to the screen cracking issue, particularly the incidents where the cracks seemed to come directly from the button itself.