1.    #1  
    So, I have spent the last two days perusing this site, looking at comments on DTA. I have a few specific questions regarding Data Transfer Assistant from Palm Desktop (PD) -> Google Contacts & Calendar. Sorry if they've been covered already...I sincerely could not find any answers that directly addressed these questions.

The first question pertains to how well the DTA handles PD's custom fields & Notes section.

1) How does the DTA handle the notes & Custom fields? Do the fields transfer completely? Were any fields truncated? In the past (like...yesterday) I attempted several csv & v-card transfers unsuccessfully. The csv transfers would put everything in a notes field, in unnamed contacts (useless). The V-card transfers would truncate the notes field @ semicolons. Does the DTA transfer these fields successfully?

2) Does the DTA & google handle multiple emails or multiple phone numbers correctly? Does it preserve the PD's sense of which method is a "primary contact method" between emails on the pre?

3) How does the DTA handle contacts that have emails that match existing google contacts (a contact exists already in google with only an email address, however the DTA is attempting to import a PD contact with that email address and a whole lot of other stuff).
    Last edited by roygbiv; 10/29/2009 at 09:36 AM.
    I used the DTA to get my contacts onto the Pre and I can confirm that notes fields are preserved. I'm not sure if there is a size limit but I had some pretty long notes that are all still there just fine.

It also handles multiple emails and phone numbers just fine but I'm not sure about primary contact methods as I don't use that.

The only thing that caught me out at first was the way the Pre tries to group contacts with the same email address. I had trouble finding one of my contacts until I realised it was grouped with another person's details because they had a common email address. Turned out the email was wrong anyway so after I had unlinked the entries I was able to fix the email addresses.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Custom fields can be transferred to Google but there no place to put them on the Pre (unless you use Classic)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by comptuter View Post
    Custom fields can be transferred to Google but there no place to put them on the Pre (unless you use Classic)
    Interesting. Does that mean that they appear on Google Contacts (via a browser) but not on your Pre?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Yes, initially I had problems with DTA, palm rep (over the phone) xfrd data from PD to Google and they arrived @ google in Categories and Custom fields, but no place to put categories and custom fields on Pre (not yet anyway)
    Good God! Say this isn't so!!! I just transferred my 12 years of contacts to my new Pixi from the Palm Desktop and sure enough all of my "Custom" fields are GONE. And no more categories??? This is infuriating. I mean, if the phone were not made by Palm I could understand it, but how could *they* leave this out? I have LOTS of info in my custom fields. And I can't really imagine not using categories. Ugh. UGH!!!