Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinrirvine View Post
    Not necessary Beast but you were the only one in the group who offered and I am touched my your XMAS Spirit. Good to know the latest and I say this for I too have e-mailed them and got a similar reply. We need to stay on them about this for I am fairly certain a group of guys in CA AND THE US who own Mexican Pre's is not high on there priority list. The reply they gave me for they know I am the tester is before doing so try another sim from a different provider, aka t-mobile and see if this unlocks it. Silly really and shows their arrogance about their product for if Barry tried everything imaginable on AT&T why on earth would it work with T-MO. I will try though and watch me eat my words and it works. Doubtful. Kevin
    Worth a try even if it works it will be 2G data only and if we wanted 2G data on the AT&T network, we all would have purchased unlocked German Pre's!

In case anyone missed it , I posted results from testing with an O2 SIM inserted in the Telcel palm Pre. Same results as with both the AT&T SIM'S. Trying a T-Mobile SIM is certainly worth a tr., If it does not work, it serves to confirm my previous results, and if by chance, it does work , then we can look into what's different about it compared to the O2 or AT&T SIMS. That path could lead somewhere.

Thanks again to all who are contributing to this effort. Not any one person can devote enough time or resources to the entire effort and as a group we stand a better chance of getting to a solution sooner rather than later. If we were to rely on free time and money of any one of us for the entire effort, it would slow down the progress. Keep in mind, we've got enough information gathered at this point to know it's no small feat we've embarked upon, and Kevin, I for one want to let you know that I appreciate you taking the reigns from me for this part of the journey. I am certain we will reach a solution as a result of the time and money you've chosen to add/invest to what's become an ongoing effort. We will get there. I feel very good about this particular path we're now heading down. We (more specifically you) will need to keep on top of the folks at RebelSIM once you have sent them the data you extract to ensure they analyze it post haste. You can contact me at any time if you feel stuck or overwhelmed getting the tool connected and the data collected. I'll make my self available for support any time of day or night if you need help or have a question about something.

Thanks,
    Barry
    Quote Originally Posted by B-E-A-S-T View Post
    I have not received my device as yet but I hope to get it going on the Fido network. I too have ordered the RebelSIM II, ...
    B-E-A-S-T,

I'm certain you've already done the research, and therefore what's been posted on the link below has got to be nothing more than hot air, however, I am sharing this with you just in case there's a chance Fido might be using 3G EURO 900 and 2100 for 3G data connectivity. If thats actually the case, you get receive a get out of jail free card allowing you to collect $540 for the sale of your Telcel Palm Pre, and then head directly to the nearest place you can purchase a German Palm Pre. If the guy is blowing hot air, then it looks like you's stuck on this slow boat to china with the rest of us riding out a solution to the Locked Telcel Palm Pre problem we're working to resolve.

So, check this post out. The guy claims he has 3G working using an unlocked German Pre connected to the Fido network. He edited the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 file and added the settings for Fido.

http://forums.precentral.net/2099103-post136.html

The unlocked German Pre supposedly only will connect 3G data on networks operating on 3G EURO Standard - meaning 900, 2100 3G Bands. The unlocked German Pre would then only connect 2G on networks that use 850, 1900 for 3G like AT&T, Rogers, and Telcel. The unlocked German Pre has been tested extensively and that's what has been confirmed in every test. Until now (That post linked above), the German Pre works everywhere, except it only connects at 2G data speeds on networks which use 850 and 1900 for 3G.

As for Fido, you've been posting that it's 3G bands are on 850, and 1900. so I presume that's why you purchased a Telcel Palm Pre instead of the German Palm Pre. Are you sure? If so, what the poster in that linked post is claiming is impossible. If your not sure, then you might want to double check the bands Fido uses. If Fido is indeed on 900 and 2100 like Euro 3G, then the German Palm Pre would be the correct one for use. Besides, it's an unlocked phone! If Fido uses 850 and 1900 for 3G data, then the Telcel Palm Pre is the correct choice if one wants it 3G data to work. Telcel uses the 850 and 1900 bands for 3G.

I now am curious. As such, I look forward to hearing back from you with some clarification.

Thanks,
    Barry
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/21/2009 at 09:58 PM.
    Fido uses 850/1900. It's the exact same network as Rogers (Fido is owned by Rogers).

Which is why I've been waiting for the Telcel unit.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Fido uses 850/1900. It's the exact same network as Rogers (Fido is owned by Rogers).

Which is why I've been waiting for the Telcel unit.
    Thanks Tony!

What that guy is posting does not jive with all prior reports and testing of the Unlocked German Palm Pre, unless he might be half blind (sees the 2G symbol as a 3G symbol ) or ??????????????

Appreciate the prompt response.
    Well I hope he doesn't mix up an E with 3G... otherwise he REALLY needs his eyes checked.

And the names Toni, btw...

I really hope we do go somewhere with this, I'm starting to get sick of my E51 and might have to go back to my Centro... so it's a decision between QWERTY or constantly crashing web browser... or have to wait for Telus.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

BTW, another place might want to check with unlocking the firmware may be forum.gsmhosting.com. This site has lots of professionals sharing ideas, and since the Pre is Qualcomm MSM6260 based, so are several other Samsungs and LGs, so there might be some useful info. I tried cracking at the UMTS firmware back in the first Doctor, but didn't go too far with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    BTW, another place might want to check with unlocking the firmware may be forum.gsmhosting.com. This site has lots of professionals sharing ideas, and since the Pre is Qualcomm MSM6260 based, so are several other Samsungs and LGs, so there might be some useful info. I tried cracking at the UMTS firmware back in the first Doctor, but didn't go too far with it.
    Sadly my efforts here have been noted as cocky and know it all. I want to apologize to all and will go into hiding. I never meant any harm by trying to resolve this issue although kevinrirvine has spoken up for the entire Precentral membership and claimed my efforts are not wanted here, claimed I am seen as cocky and a know it all.

To all, I apologize for working to resolve this problem and for sharing every tiny detail of what I'd attempted and what results I'd obtained.

I never meant to be cocky and a know it all. I even enlisted others for help when it was something I had no knowledge about.
    I guess doing that is still considered being a cocky know it all around here.

GOODBYE
    I will follow the work silently instead of doing anything else and reporting my results.
    Once again, sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Ryan View Post
    Well that's lame that you would let someone scare you away, I was very much hoping to get a Telcel Pre in hopes of using it here in the US. Thanks for all your hard work! I didn't think you were cocky at all.
    Thanks I_Ryan, I needed to hear that.

After stepping away and letting Kevin's remarks settle in, a distinct thought came to mind which made me decide to continue working on this:

1). All the work and time invested by me led to some results which I shared here with everyone. Those results pointed to a couple of tangible solutions which I made sure to share with everyone here. Precentral member "Kevinrirvine" decided to pursue one of the solutions my work suggested would help us get to a resolution sooner, rather than later, the Hex tool path which on behalf of everyone here, I applauded him for doing. I then realized that we would not have reached the point we are at with this effort without my initial and continued efforts and in "Kevenrirvine"'s message to me Kevin may be venting his frustrations at the lack of any solution thus far and unfortunately he is choosing to focus his frustrations upon me for some reason.

2). I'm continuing to do work on another possible reason that Precentral member "Rayan" recently brought up and points out may have something to do with this problem (the modem flashing done during WebOS installation) which I enlisted the help of Precentral member "rwhitby"'s knowledge about and which Precentral member "ToniCipriani" has volunteered to assist with by doing more research and testing on.

I'll choose to continue working towards a solution with resources available to me including time and the help of others here who have more knowledge than I have despite the negative remarks made to and about me by Precentral member "Kevinrirvine" which thankfully do not represent the feelings of the entire Precentral membership.

Thanks,
    Barry
  9.    #89  
    I hope we all stay on point here...I do not watch Oprah but it strikes me that this much self pity, introspection, sincerity followed by support is really bizarre for a forum such as this...

...anyways, I still haven't received my device but when I do I plan to take it to my local guy that has a Hex reader and makes his own SIM card simulators (similar to TurboSIM). Hopefully he'll want to spend the time on a one off situation for my device...

P.S. Fido is 850/1900 MHz HSPA/UTMS
    Quote Originally Posted by B-E-A-S-T View Post
    I hope we all stay on point here...I do not watch Oprah but it strikes me that this much self pity, introspection, sincerity followed by support is really bizarre for a forum such as this...

...anyways, I still haven't received my device but when I do I plan to take it to my local guy that has a Hex reader and makes his own SIM card simulators (similar to TurboSIM). Hopefully he'll want to spend the time on a one off situation for my device...

P.S. Fido is 850/1900 MHz HSPA/UTMS
    B-E-A-S-T,
    Thnank you for your assistance, and yes, we are back on point.

If you can convince your guy to do your one off situation and it works, I am fairly certain he can count on business from all of us providing his SIM card simulator for use with an AT&T SIMcard. Please ask him. I know that besides myself, many others here would appreciate it.

Additionally, I myself have made an offer to RebelSIM company in UK, to send them my Telcel Palm Pre for examination so they can attempt to glean the emulation codes necessary from it to include in their firmware. I am waiting for a response from them and hoping they accept my offer. I will post their response here and in the other thread as soon as I receive it.

Furthermore, Kevinrirvine has offered me the RebelSIM hex card tool he purchased, in order to perform the scanning and to send the data back to RebelSIM for analysis. At this point in time, I am not certain I have the time or the skillset necessary to perform the task, although I am sure I could manage getting the skillset part mastered, IF I can find the time resources. I am putting that decision on hold until after I hear back from RebelSIM about my offer to send the Telcel Pre to them for analysis.

Stay tuned for further details.

ToniCipriani,
    Any word on results you've gleaned from the examination/comparison of the Telcel doctor and the EU doctor's modem flashing routines?

Thanks,
    Barry
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345