webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > TELCEL Mexico Palm Pre...
TELCEL Mexico Palm Pre...

Old 12/16/2009, 03:45 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-E-A-S-T View Post
I know I started this thread so I will report...I'm the guy getting the second device, Abraham only has two so far from his supplier.

My biggest question is how this phone is going to be activated since I do not want to mess with the warranty...
Read through this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ight=rebel+sim

In thie following descriptions, I've substituted your home carrier, whether it be Rogers or AT&T or whoever with Rogers.

Any one of these three scenarios are possible (Be prepared to have to try more than one of them):
1). You punch your Rogers SIM and insert it along with the RebelSIM into your newly unboxed Pre. Power up the Pre for the first time and set up your Palm Profile without any troubles.
2). You WebOS Doctor your phone to bypass the initial Palm Profile creation. There are specific instructions on how to do this to an unactivated Pre in the thread listed above. You punch your Rogers SIM and insert it along with the RebelSIM into your freshly Web OS Doctored Pre then you create your Palm profile.
3). You purchase a Telcel prepaid SIM with 10 bucks worth of minutes including Telcel data access from ABCELL Wireless with your Pre. You insert this SIM into your newly unboxed Pre and set up your Palm profile using this prepaid Telcel SIM. You'll be roaming over Rogers so don't dilly dally around wasting time. Be in a strong signal area. Once you've successfully created your Palm Profile, the Pre is activated for use. You shut down your Pre and insert your punched out Rogers SIM with the RebelSIM card and turn the Pre back on.

There are a variaty of other side discussions in the thread above focused on first putting your Rogers SIM into a different unlocked phone (other than the new Pre) and switching carriers after powering it up to any other carrier than your primary carrier (Rogers), then inserting it with the RebelSIM into your Palm Pre. This seems to be necessary if you had previously activated the Pre using a SIM chip from the carrier who you purchased the device from (in this case Telcel), then try to use your Rogers SIM after that. This additional step may be necessary if you need to create your Palm Profile using # 3 above.

Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/16/2009 at 09:24 AM.
TopTongueBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by B-E-A-S-T, Bmw135i, pcbrew
Old 12/16/2009, 09:37 PM   #62 (permalink)

Thanks you for everyone involved. I might actually be picking one up from another vendor this weekend. I will try out the rebel sim card approach and see if that works out.

In terms of the rebel sim... i have had good and bad exp with them with the iphone which is why i have my doubts... Hopefully we can get this figure out!
wingh2daizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2009, 01:51 PM   #63 (permalink)

Hello everyone,

Not sure if it's allowed in here, but I'm selling contract free GSM Palm Pres (Telcel Locked but totally unbranded).

$650 cash (no paypal, no checks, no trades)

San Diego California Area only.

Shoot me an email if interested at (rayanmx at gmail dot com)

This is not a scam nor spam... I've been using the GSM Palm Pre since it came out in Mexico and managed to get a few units without contract from a friend that works for Telcel. As for pictures if you want.

Cheers!
Rayan

Last edited by Rayan; 12/18/2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
Rayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2009, 06:50 PM   #64 (permalink)

(sorry for double posting)

Ok, for those who contacted me via email and asked about the possibility of unlocking the Pre via carrier (under the argument of overseas travel) here's the answer they gave me:

"We are not allowed to unlock any phone even un-subsidized, it's in our policy"

Yeah sure, that's because they want to sell International Roaming Plans at exorbitant prices... Damn Telcel... >

So no, I can't provide you with unlock codes for these Pres.

If you are still interested, let me know.

Regards,
Rayan
Old 12/18/2009, 08:38 PM   #65 (permalink)

Hey Rayan...

Do you know if the Rebel Sim card will work with the phone? I have a Rebel Sim Card, and would be more than willing to meet up with you in San Diego to test it out. I am sure people here would BUY the phone if they can verify that Rebel Sim work. I am in UTC... Let me know.
Old 12/18/2009, 10:11 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135i View Post
Hey Rayan...

Do you know if the Rebel Sim card will work with the phone? I have a Rebel Sim Card, and would be more than willing to meet up with you in San Diego to test it out. I am sure people here would BUY the phone if they can verify that Rebel Sim work. I am in UTC... Let me know.
I'm 24 hrs into attempting to get my Telcel Pre to work on AT&T using a Rebel Sim II card. It appears the network is detected bt the fields are blank. I meta doctored the pre to get it activated, but because the version isn't 1.3.1 there's no manual setup for network settings. Am toying with meta doctoring the Eu version onto it and hoping it works.

Will keep ya posted.
Old 12/18/2009, 11:04 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey Rayan...

Hi, I really don't know... I haven't tried that before. But if you want we can try it tomorrow.

The thing is that I live in Tijuana but I can cross the border tomorrow or any time and meet someplace to test it.

Just shoot me an email and we can arrange it.

Regards,
Sergio Nayar (Rayan)
Old 12/19/2009, 11:43 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
I'm 24 hrs into attempting to get my Telcel Pre to work on AT&T using a Rebel Sim II card. It appears the network is detected bt the fields are blank. I meta doctored the pre to get it activated, but because the version isn't 1.3.1 there's no manual setup for network settings. Am toying with meta doctoring the Eu version onto it and hoping it works.

Will keep ya posted.
My rebel sim card II does not get me pass the network lock screen. Wonder if they sent me the right card...
Old 12/19/2009, 12:41 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
My rebel sim card II does not get me pass the network lock screen. Wonder if they sent me the right card...
See this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-use-t-3g.html
Old 12/19/2009, 06:12 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
Hi, Kevin here,
I will be the third maybe owner of the Pre Telcel on Tuesday and have already ordered the UK PRE REBEL SIM and now might even cancel my order before it ships Monday for it appears the situation here is desperate to say the least. So you have not reported since yesterday any luck as of yet in unlocking yours hopefully yes for you sound like me the very persistent type? Thanks, Kevin

There is also hope for any of you thinking of purchasing this device from Abraham and though my solution not yet proven until I have device in hand is not ideal it should technically work. Buy say a few month's worth of voice and data on a Telcel pre-paid sim via Abraham and by this time I am almost certain a sure fire unlocking solution will be in place. Yes, I know most of US want to use this device on AT&T 3G, but given this is not possible as of today's date at least it is a workaround where you could use the phone in all aspect's for after all we are talking between a $540.00 to $600.00 investment here. I do know this would work though we would in relaity be roaming on Roger's Network but heh you have a fully working phone for both voice and data. Your thoughts or the communities.
kevinrirvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2009, 07:10 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrirvine View Post
Hi, Kevin here,
I will be the third maybe owner of the Pre Telcel on Tuesday and have already ordered the UK PRE REBEL SIM and now might even cancel my order before it ships Monday for it appears the situation here is desperate to say the least. So you have not reported since yesterday any luck as of yet in unlocking yours hopefully yes for you sound like me the very persistent type? Thanks, Kevin

There is also hope for any of you thinking of purchasing this device from Abraham and though my solution not yet proven until I have device in hand is not ideal it should technically work. Buy say a few month's worth of voice and data on a Telcel pre-paid sim via Abraham and by this time I am almost certain a sure fire unlocking solution will be in place. Yes, I know most of US want to use this device on AT&T 3G, but given this is not possible as of today's date at least it is a workaround where you could use the phone in all aspect's for after all we are talking between a $540.00 to $600.00 investment here. I do know this would work though we would in relaity be roaming on Roger's Network but heh you have a fully working phone for both voice and data. Your thoughts or the communities.
Hi Kevin,

I'm in Irvine too. We would be roaming on AT&T's network using a Telcel SIM, and yes, unfortunately I plunked down the money and bought the Telcel Pre figuring the RebelSIM II would take care of me just like it has for owners of the O2 UK Pre.

Clearly I was wrong. I've done some additional research and I have come to the conclusion that currently there is no unlock solution for a Telcel Palm Pre, however there is some hope, cough, cough ....

The folks at RebelSIM have a "Rebel Hex APDU Scanner Tool" they'll happily SELL to us for about US $65.00 ea so that we can extract the data from our locked phone while we use it with our operator (Telcel) SIM inserted. We send them the data we extract, using the extraction tool we buy from them, and then they use that data to upgrade their product and make themselves a lot more money! Apparently they have about 800 of these units distributed worldwide. Since they are located in the UK, it's no wonder they were able to emulate the SIM data for an O2 UK Palm Pre so quickly. As for Telcel, unless one of us steps up to the plate, we might have to kiss off any chance of a solution for Telcel Pre's in the near future.

Meanwhile, I've meta-doctored my Telcel Pre back to its original WebOS image and am now going to put my Telcel Pre back into its box for the rest of the weekend. This should give you guys a chance to browse the following links and post your thoughts about this dismal situation.

Thanks,
Barry

Solutions Point Limted Launches the Rebel Hex APDU Scanner Tool | Rebel Simcard Unlock phones without loss of Warranty

Scanner Kit to help us to make Rebel Simcard Better

Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/19/2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12/19/2009, 08:55 PM   #72 (permalink)

I knew I was taking a chance when I purchased the device. My initial intuition was correct, I didn't think Rebel Sim would work even though it works for the o2 version Palm Pre. However, I am also very optimistic with a solution soon
Old 12/19/2009, 11:37 PM   #73 (permalink)

So I guess Abcell failed to find the unlock code, thus resorting to using unlock SIMs?

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2009, 10:46 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
So I guess Abcell failed to find the unlock code, thus resorting to using unlock SIMs?
Tony Kevin here the next in line to get the Telcel Pre from Abraham. This is not entirely true what you said as he and his engineer are still working on how to generate unlock codes and in his own words, where there is a will there is always a way so we just need to be patient for every phone in the world can be unlocked yet this one is proving extremely difficult. Kevin
Old 12/20/2009, 02:35 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrirvine View Post
Tony Kevin here the next in line to get the Telcel Pre from Abraham. This is not entirely true what you said as he and his engineer are still working on how to generate unlock codes and in his own words, where there is a will there is always a way so we just need to be patient for every phone in the world can be unlocked yet this one is proving extremely difficult. Kevin
To continue this dialogue, please review this thread :
http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-use-t-3g.html

and this particular post:
http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2100926
Old 12/20/2009, 03:06 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
I know I started this thread so I will report...I'm the guy getting the second device, Abraham only has two so far from his supplier...
B-E-A-S-T,

So far we've had no success getting a Telcel Palm Pre to work on AT&T here in the USA, although we should have a solution soon.

Have you had any luck getting your Telcel Palm Pre to work on Rogers Canada yet?

Thanks.
Barry
Old 12/20/2009, 10:03 PM   #77 (permalink)

I have not received my device as yet but I hope to get it going on the Fido network. I too have ordered the RebelSIM II, due to all that I have been reading on this forum I emailed RebelSIM technical support in advance and this is the response I received:

"hi

if the phone takes a simcard and can work on gsm and UMTS network then yes

Solutions Point Limited
Evans Business Centre
Unit 11, Dane St
Rochdale
Lancashire
OL12 6XB
United Kingdom.

Tel 0844 484 4331
Tel Int 00 44 170 650 8124

email sales@solutions-point.co.uk
Web Home page
email sales@rebelsimcard.com
Web www.rebelsimcard.com"

I have responded to that email and pointed the person to this forum so that they can see that it doesn't work.

I also have another guy in Toronto that fabricates and code generates his own RebelSIM type cards...he was one of the first to SIM unlock the iPhone here...I may have to get him involved here!

Will keep you posted...
B-E-A-S-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 12:15 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
I have not received my device as yet but I hope to get it going on the Fido network. I too have ordered the RebelSIM II, due to all that I have been reading on this forum I emailed RebelSIM technical support in advance and this is the response I received:

"hi

if the phone takes a simcard and can work on gsm and UMTS network then yes

Solutions Point Limited
Evans Business Centre
Unit 11, Dane St
Rochdale
Lancashire
OL12 6XB
United Kingdom.

Tel 0844 484 4331

Web Home page
Web www.rebelsimcard.com"

I have responded to that email and pointed the person to this forum so that they can see that it doesn't work.

I also have another guy in Toronto that fabricates and code generates his own RebelSIM type cards...he was one of the first to SIM unlock the iPhone here...I may have to get him involved here!

Will keep you posted...
Beast Kevin here everything is in place now and I get my device tomorrow thanks to bmw135i and the hex whatever gadget is already on it's way to me from the uk so barring custom's delays the testing or extraction process from the pre pd telcel sim to extract the data needed from my pre will begin on Wednesday. I am nervous about doing this, yet someone had to step up to the plate and that someone is me. Will keep you all posted and if all goes well the results will be sent to the uk IMMEDIATELY. Kevin
Old 12/21/2009, 01:13 PM   #79 (permalink)

Okay Kevin, thanks. I would be happy to kick in some dough since you are taking on the burden here -- let me know how best to donate to the cause. This is the last email I received:

hi

ok best to wait a short time

till we get this checked out
we will email you when have some news

thanks

Solutions Point Limited
Evans Business Centre
Unit 11, Dane St
Rochdale
Lancashire
OL12 6XB
United Kingdom.

Tel 0844 484 4331

Web Home page
Web Rebel Simcard Unlock Phones without Cables and Software and No Loss of Warranty
B-E-A-S-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 04:27 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Okay Kevin, thanks. I would be happy to kick in some dough since you are taking on the burden here -- let me know how best to donate to the cause. This is the last email I received:

hi

ok best to wait a short time

till we get this checked out
we will email you when have some news

thanks

Solutions Point Limited
Evans Business Centre
Unit 11, Dane St
Rochdale
Lancashire
OL12 6XB
United Kingdom.

Tel 0844 484 4331

Web Home page
Web Rebel Simcard Unlock Phones without Cables and Software and No Loss of Warranty
Not necessary Beast but you were the only one in the group who offered and I am touched my your XMAS Spirit. Good to know the latest and I say this for I too have e-mailed them and got a similar reply. We need to stay on them about this for I am fairly certain a group of guys in CA AND THE US who own Mexican Pre's is not high on there priority list. The reply they gave me for they know I am the tester is before doing so try another sim from a different provider, aka t-mobile and see if this unlocks it. Silly really and shows their arrogance about their product for if Barry tried everything imaginable on AT&T why on earth would it work with T-MO. I will try though and watch me eat my words and it works. Doubtful. Kevin

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0