Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Hello everyone.

I am a new sprint customer and a new pre user. I have had my phone just under 30 days and have been noticing that too many of my calls have been going straight to VM. I am coming from using an iphone on tmobile for many years. I understand it will happen once in a while but it has been happening at least once or twice per day. My phone is used for work and missing a phone call is missing money.

I am not sure who to blame. I live in what should be a good sprint coverage area. I get excellent data speeds but it seems like a am usually at 1 to 3 bars signal.

What i am wondering is this a problem with sprint or is this a problem with the Palm Pre? I can probably switch to the Hero and see if that gets a better signal. But i really dont want to give up this phone. It is really nice to use.

Any advise? Is the missed calls and sound quality a sprint issue or a pre issue?

thanks guys
    Sounds like you are having signal strength issues. This happens to me from time to time at home if I'm in the basement. Call Sprint about it and let them know what is going on. Airave could help your situation.

AIRAVE
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    i would ask for airwave but this problem is usually happening while out during the day. Could it be that tmobile has better signal reliability than sprint?

does using data cause calls to go to vm? i always though voice took priority over data?

and has anyone had sprint with other phones. is this jumpy voice reception a sprint issue or a pre issue?
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    old news. stay where the coverage is strong - outside within line of site to the tower. who would use a cell phone indoors?
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    This is a Sprint issue, but not necessarily a signal strength issue. Even when you have a good signal, if all of Sprint's circuits are busy it will send the incoming call straight to voice mail. Your phone doesn't ring and you get a voice mail notification, sometimes minutes later, sometimes hours later.

This has happened to me with many different phones on Sprint, not just the Pre. It is infrequent, but seems to come in clusters. It might miss 3-4 calls in a couple of days and then it not happen again for months.
    There have been many posts of this in the past where people have mentioned noticing their signal strength with their Pre is weaker than their previous Sprint phones owned in the past so I guess it's the phone. Design issue and the signal is weaker than other phones in the same spot. In the beginning you would see tons of threads and seemed Sprint was throwing out AirRaves to anyone that complained but I havent seen those posts lately.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    old news. stay where the coverage is strong - outside within line of site to the tower. who would use a cell phone indoors?
    Is your 'excellent signal strength' showing 1xRTT or do you have the EV icon in your status bar?

If you're on EVDO, calls can interrupt data, but if you're on 1xRTT calls go straight to voicemail and data gets priority.
    Line of sight, what? CDMA is a radio protocol. The Pre is not an IR phone. You should be able to expect service in most populated places and in many buildings, especially homes.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    I hate to tell you that the frequency use on cell phones still requires line of sight. Just because it can go through objects (unlike IR) does not mean the tower isn't within LOS.
    I have no line of sight to any of the Sprint towers from my home office (buildings, trees, etc.) yet I have 3 bars on the Pre at the moment.

Line of Sight refers to a characteristic of certain transmission systems in which no obstructions in a direct path between transmitter and receiver can exist.

If I needed a line of sight to the Sprint tower all my calls world go to VM unless I was on he roof. That is one of the great thing about most radio waves, no line of sight required.
    I have an AirRave, and am on my 3rd Pre.. and all of them receive a sporadic signal. Moving from 5 bars to 1 bar, and all over the place.. While my Previous Treo 755 had a solid 5 bars in my house with the AirRave. The two other phones my family have, also get 5 solid bars all the time.. What is it with the Pre and a good signal.

I could be next to a tower, and I have the same thing happens.
    As I understand LOS, your definition applies for certain frequencies only. The definition I'm familiar with is that antennas must "see" each other and not interrupted by the curvature of the earth. Since objects can attenuate the signals, obstructions are sometimes included as part of the LOS definition but those are frequency dependent since some materials can be transparent to the band of interest.
    Last edited by cvela90; 10/28/2009 at 08:33 PM.
    This demonstrates just how great the Pre is, its so smart, it knows when you need to talk and when it needs to directly route the call to VM.
    Ya, whatever. All I'm trying to say is the KJ78's insinuation that cellular phones shouldn't/couldn't be used inside was bogus. In 2009 the average user, in a populated center, expects to be able to have cellular signal some of the time in buildings (particularly ones home). In my experience this has been the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    This is a Sprint issue
    'nuff said!