Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    I am hoping that the Pre, when it comes to Verizon, can help me combine my current Centro and iPod Touch. Here are my basic questions:

    Here are my questions:

    Is PocketMirror really the only way to keep my Outlook data (contacts, memo, tasks, calendar) synced to the Pre?

    What is the music/media player like? How do I load media when iTunes support is cut off?

    Can I subscribe and automatically update/delete podcasts like iTunes does? Is there are separate media area for podcasts?

    Visual voice-mail?

    Is the POP email push, or do I have to fetch it?

    One of my main concerns is how well the Pre works as a media player since I want it to replace my iPod Touch as well as my Centro. Ease of loading content is essential and podcast support is a number one priority. How well are these handled?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vance McAlister View Post
    One of my main concerns is how well the Pre works as a media player since I want it to replace my iPod Touch as well as my Centro. Ease of loading content is essential and podcast support is a number one priority. How well are these handled?
    As far a a media player goes the Pre is so-so. Ya it plays media but that's about it. No podcast support, at least no in the way your going to want. I love my Pre but it's no iPod Touch when it comes to media. Also...anything with DRM is not going to work.

    Some of your other questions:
    -No visual VM
    -POP is fetch only but that is automated
    -If you want to keep using Outlook consider using a Hosted Exchange service and then your home PC and your Pre can sync with that.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you very much for the response. That is too bad about the lack of podcast support. I really was hoping to only need to carry one gadget. As for Exchange, we use Outlook here at work, but not with any Exchange. Maybe I can look into that for the firm.

    So, media is just side-loaded when not working with iTunes?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vance McAlister View Post
    So, media is just side-loaded when not working with iTunes?
    Yep, drag and drop into a folder on the Pre and the phone deals with it from there. Homebrew does have a music app at the moment...may want to check it out and see what it might do for you.

    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...c-player-remix
  5. #5  
    I'm not sure how big your office is but even if you only have a handful of users, hosted exchange services are very much worth it. Once over a certain size on site Exchange services make more since but it sounds like your not that big.

    Anyway, once set up you can sync via EAS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vance McAlister View Post
    As for Exchange, we use Outlook here at work, but not with any Exchange. Maybe I can look into that for the firm.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vance McAlister View Post
    Thank you very much for the response. That is too bad about the lack of podcast support. I really was hoping to only need to carry one gadget. As for Exchange, we use Outlook here at work, but not with any Exchange. Maybe I can look into that for the firm.

    So, media is just side-loaded when not working with iTunes?
    Regarding podcasts, I've found drPodder to be a great solution on the Pre. In fact, I kind of like having podcasts segregated into their own app, and available as more of a streaming solution. I like the way my Zune handles podcasts (very much, in fact), but then again I've never seen any reason to actually download complete podcasts. They've always been listen-and-discard media for me.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the information!

    I would not mind streaming podcasts either as long as I am always connected and it streams smoothly. I listen to about 20 different podcasts, about three hours total a day.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vance McAlister View Post
    Thanks for the information!

    I would not mind streaming podcasts either as long as I am always connected and it streams smoothly. I listen to about 20 different podcasts, about three hours total a day.
    drPodder is amazing, defiantly capable in your request and'll bookmark when you leave the app as well so you can resume from where you left off.
  9. #9  
    +1 Drpodder is the way to go. No doubt!

    Also, just don't upgrade to newest itunes and you'll be set even if it is broken by Apple.

    Pocketmirror is not the only solution. You can also try companionlink and I believe Google has a way as well, (iCal or iGoogle, something like that).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  10. atom00's Avatar
    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    #10  
    drpodder will also download podcasts automatically, not just stream them over the air. Since adding this to my pre I rarely use itunes since I was using it mainly to sync podcasts and not music. But it is nice to still have the option to use itunes for making playlists
  11. #11  
    there is no reason to wait for verizon unless your company will only pay for verizon.

Posting Permissions