1.    #1  
    I got a good deal ($85 and 2 year contract) so I thought I would try out the Pre for 30 days and if I didn't like It I would switch back to my 755. Well after my 30 days I wanted to return it. I called up and they told me that the 30 days starts the day you receive the phone not when you activate it. So Im SOL...I asked when my cotract was up and she told me that I didnt have a contract ...Wooo Hooo ..So Im feeling alot better about my deal, I figured I give it another month then I can just sell it if I don't like it. Im having alot of problem acclimating to this phone. Lack of apps, lag and battery drain.

Can someone help me with how their phone is set up so they don't have these problems. 1. I get a lot of calls all day. Work and personal. I am constantly either answering when I don't want to or Ignoring the call when I don't want to. especially when Its in my pocket but also just all the time ..I have big hands anyone else experiencing this.

2. Because of the phone lag I am constantly miss-dialing. I know I need to be more careful but I am so used to the 755 and its ease of use. this is alot more awkward and touchy.

3. auto correct in text messaging is correcting things I dont want it to like names ..just annoying and how do you go back to a word in the middle of of a sentence I just retype the whole thing ..again annoying.

4. Is there a way to break up the call log between incoming and outgoing calls I found this to be a tremendous feature with the 755p.

5. lack of Apps and battery drain which is a common problem.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I feel for ya. I have been in the same situation for a couple months now (and I have a 2 year agreement). I can help you out with 3... kinda

Pushing the orange function button then tapping where you want your cursor to go, and it takes a while to get used to but I use it all the time like that. Its just like using the shift button to highlight.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AWoody251 View Post
    I feel for ya. I have been in the same situation for a couple months now (and I have a 2 year agreement). I can help you out with 3... kinda

Pushing the orange function button then tapping where you want your cursor to go, and it takes a while to get used to but I use it all the time like that. Its just like using the shift button to highlight.
    Actually, you can use Orange, and move the cursor by sliding your finger anywhere on the screen in the direction you want to cursor to go, and it will move... then stop when you get where you need it to be.
    1. Do you mean the touch screen is activating when the phone is in your pocket? This shouldn't be happening unless there is something conductive in there...

2. I haven't noticed phone lag but there is an app that adds haptic (the phone shakes a little bit when you press a number) feedback to the dialpad. It's very responsive and it makes it easy to tell when you've hit a button on the dialpad.

Quote Originally Posted by jye75 View Post
    Actually, you can use Orange, and move the cursor by sliding your finger anywhere on the screen in the direction you want to cursor to go, and it will move... then stop when you get where you need it to be.
    Cool! I didn't know about that. You can also simply tap where you want the cursor. It works just like a mouse click in a typical word processor. It can be difficult to be accurate, though. Autocorrect: Do you have an autocorrect app? Remove it. There isn't really much of an autocorrect on a stock Pre.

4. I have not found this functionality in the Pre and haven't seen an app/patch that provides it.

5. There are a lot of forum posts about conserving battery power. Do you have Preware or Filecoaster? There are about 250 homebrew apps (thanks, developers!)
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guys Im going to give those things a shot ...Hopefully I can figure this thing out
  6.    #6  
    Thanks guys Im going to give those things a shot ...Hopefully I can figure this thing out
    I would also add that you can use the hard keys on the keyboard when dialing, or while you're in a call. It works just like the Treo keyboard did. But I felt the dialing got much better after 1.2, so I'm pretty comfortable with the touchscreen response now.
  8.    #8  
    Im currently using the keyboard alot more because im still constantly misdialing with the screen ..I think its the one handed thing I was used to with the Treo 755. BTW I also find that I am constantly accidently dialing when I hang up on another call. Is there a way to make the screen lock when you hang up on a call or something like that...
    Last edited by evilhomer; 10/30/2009 at 09:34 AM.
    Well also get out of the habit of bringing up the dialier and typing in numbers. Get used to just start typing the name of the person (initials too) from the launchpad and using universal search to find your person.
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    Well also get out of the habit of bringing up the dialier and typing in numbers. Get used to just start typing the name of the person (initials too) from the launchpad and using universal search to find your person.
    Or, just dial the number direcly in universal search. its the same as bringing up the dialer, just with fewer steps!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    My advise would be to be patient. I upgraded from a 755p also and for about the first 3 weeks or so was undecided. The 755 is a great one hand operated phone and there were tons of apps. The Pre, while a cool phone with great features, still needs some work. After a few weeks I found that I loved the phone and am learning more and more tips as time goes.

The universal search definitely took me time to get used to, but now I can't imagine not using it.

Palm m100 => Palm IIIx => Palm Zire 72 => Cingular Treo 650 => Sprint Palm 700p (w/755 ROM) => Sprint Palm 755p => Sprint Palm Centro => Sprint Palm Pre => Sprint FrankenPre Plus => Franken Palm Pre 2 on Sprint w/ working Nav and Sprint TV!

Family lines: Wife => Palm Centro Daughter => Palm Pixi

Living the Palm brand since 1999....and that's gotten me this!?
    RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    Quote Originally Posted by evilhomer View Post

3. auto correct in text messaging is correcting things I dont want it to like names ..just annoying and how do you go back to a word in the middle of of a sentence I just retype the whole thing ..again annoying.
    There's a homebrew app called AutoCorrect Dictionary Edit, or something like that which I think will let you delete all the auto-corrects you don't like, and add your own.

5. lack of Apps and battery drain which is a common problem.
    The Apps are coming, there's more than 500 total now (300 in official and 298 in homebrew), and with the new movements by Palm this may increase quickly as the sdk become more complete.

And as far as the battery problem goes, mess with the settings, there are defiantly some things you can do to save life, like if your sit at a computer you can very well turn off data on your phone which'll I've noticed usually leaves me at the end of the day with 90% rather than 30%. It might hinder some things but I bet there's a homebrew app which'll allow you to put a button in the quicklaunch to just turn it on when you want it.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post

The Apps are coming, there's more than 500 total now (300 in official and 298 in homebrew), and with the new movements by Palm this may increase quickly as the sdk become more complete.

And as far as the battery problem goes, mess with the settings, there are defiantly some things you can do to save life, like if your sit at a computer you can very well turn off data on your phone which'll I've noticed usually leaves me at the end of the day with 90% rather than 30%. It might hinder some things but I bet there's a homebrew app which'll allow you to put a button in the quicklaunch to just turn it on when you want it.

I know that there is alot of apps but most are useless and until the limit is removed I can not install any new apps from app catalog anyway.

As far as the battery goes ..I think my phone might be defective ...My phone was at 100% at 3am at 9 am with no use it went to 69%... 3 hrs later with a little use its at 35% ..its to a point im afraid of leaving the house without a charger in my pocket.
    I know that there is alot of apps but most are useless and until the limit is removed I can not install any new apps from app catalog anyway.
    There's a patch for that. It involves installing WebOS Quick Install on your computer, in order to install PreWare onto your Pre, but honestly, if you don't already have Quick Install and PreWare, you really should. I suspect that a lot of your frustrations with the Pre will go away once you see all the amazing things you can do with it, thanks to the Homebrew community.

Follow the instructions here to put WebOS Quick Install on your computer: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-7-beyond.html

Next, follow these steps:
    * Put your device in Developer Mode (it should still be in developer mode from one of the steps you did during the Quick Install installation)
    * Run WebOS Quick Install
    * Press the third button on the right
    * Choose WebOS Internals Feed (all) from the dropdown list at the top.
    * Select Package Manager Service from the list.
    * Press DOWNLOAD.
    * Press INSTALL.
    * Press the third button on the right
    * Choose WebOS Internals Feed (all) from the dropdown list at the top.
    * Select Preware from the list.
    * Press DOWNLOAD.
    * Press INSTALL.
    * If WebOS Quick Install offers to install the Package Manager Service automatically to enable tweaking, do not agree. It will install the wrong version. You must install it as detailed above.

Once PreWare is installed on your Pre, run it, and once all the feeds load, tap "List of Everything". When the list comes up, type "fair" and it will pull up Fair Dinkum App Limit. Tap that, then tap "Install". Voila! Your app limit should be increased. I haven't had any issues with space since I did this. (Thank you, Rod!) For more information, here's the forum thread about Fair Dinkum: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...tallation.html

If you have any issues with those instructions, let me know, and I can try to help you walk through them.

As far as the battery goes ..I think my phone might be defective ...My phone was at 100% at 3am at 9 am with no use it went to 69%... 3 hrs later with a little use its at 35% ..its to a point im afraid of leaving the house without a charger in my pocket.
    As far as the battery life goes, yes, that is a bit of an issue, but your drain is so extreme, it sounds like you've got something going on that you're not aware of. First, read this: http://www.precentral.net/how-improv...ly-accessories and follow as many of the instructions as apply to you. The biggest drain that I'm aware of from my reading is e-mail, most especially Hotmail. I'm not sure if that's a bug that's been fixed or not, but I do know that it was a major issue in the early days of the Pre. Personally, my biggest drain used to be GPS - having it turned on all the time drained my battery so fast, plus I had heat issues. Now I simply leave it off unless I need it for navigation, which has helped tremendously. Also, there's a homebrew app called GPS Toggle that lets me toggle GPS on and off with a simple tap to make it even easier. After you go through the tips in that article, try this forum post: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...life-tips.html And when all else fails, there's always a larger battery. From all reports, this battery can go for 2 days without needing a charge. The only downside is that you do need a new back cover because it's thicker, so a) it makes your Pre a bit thicker, and b) it doesn't work with the Touchstone. But the new cover is included with the purchase of the battery, so ...

Anyway, all I'm saying is don't give up on the Pre yet. I've gone from a Palm VII, to a Treo 600, to a Treo 700p, and it's definitely a bit of an adjustment to go from that to the Pre, but now I just can't imagine having anything else. Good luck!

-- Alisa
    Re: Pre autocorrects. For annoying autocorrects, e.g., capitalization when you don't want it, "u" to "you," etc., just hit backspace and it reverts to what you want. One extra keystroke, but not bad. IOW, backspace cancels any autocorrection.
    Oh, and I forgot to mention - for the autocorrect issue, you MUST try AutoCorrect Edit. I downloaded the demo version first, and it was WELL worth the $5 that Rick is asking for the full version. Read his post and follow the links he has for some really great ideas for shortcuts you may never have thought of before. I now have abbreviations like "mchl" and "rgr" which will expand to Michelle and Roger, not to mention things like "omwh" which expands to "I'm on my way home." This has totally changed the way I text. Not only can you use it to add shortcuts for things you type frequently, you can use it to delete things you don't want autocorrected. It's truly life-changing. ;-) And yes, as others have previously mentioned, you can tap to place the cursor approximately where you want it, then hold down the orange key and swipe left or right anywhere on the screen to move the cursor letter by letter, or swipe up or down to move by lines. Holding the shift key down will select the text as you swipe so you can cut, copy, or delete whole blocks. Once you have the text highlighted, hold one finger on the gesture area, then press "c" for copy, "x" for cut, and "v" for paste, or just use the backspace key to delete it. Plus, if you hold the shift key down while pressing the backspace key, it will delete whole words, instead of just one letter at a time.

Im currently using the keyboard alot more because im still constantly misdialing with the screen ..I think its the one handed thing I was used to with the Treo 755. BTW I also find that I am constantly accidently dialing when I hang up on another call. Is there a way to make the screen lock when you hang up on a call or something like that...
    There is, in fact, a patch that I just recently installed that will close the phone application whenever you hang up. This could be annoying for anyone who makes multiple calls in a row because you would hang up, then have to start the phone app again. Although, come to think of it, I don't see that as a downside because the phone app would close, then instead of re-starting the phone app, you just start typing in the name of the next person you want to call, which will use the universal search to find that person, and when you tap on their phone number, the phone app starts up. That's really not any different from hanging up, then typing in the name of the person in the phone app to search your contacts and then tapping on their phone number to dial them. So really, I don't see a downside. Once you have PreWare installed, run it, then tap on "Available Patches". You should really go through the whole list because it's simply amazing what you can do with the Pre with the patches available, but the one I'm talking about is called "Close on hangup". There's another one, too, that you might like called "Close Slider to End Calls". That one doesn't close the phone app, but if you have the slider open when you're talking to someone, it will end the call if you close the slider.

Hope that helps!
    -- Alisa
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Re: Pre autocorrects. For annoying autocorrects, e.g., capitalization when you don't want it, "u" to "you," etc., just hit backspace and it reverts to what you want. One extra keystroke, but not bad. IOW, backspace cancels any autocorrection.
    This is true, and definitely something I use regularly, but if there are words that you use constantly that keep getting autocorrected in a way that you don't like, your best option is to permanently remove that autocorrect using AutoCorrect Edit.