Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77
  1.    #1  
    Well.. I don't want to start a thread about comparing directly to an iphone.. but it kind of is. also this is not a thread to put the pre down in any way. i love the phone and i know its only going to get better

    but one queustion comes in mind.. will it ever function as smooth and responsive as say..the iphone?

    since day 1 ive always wanted something as cool as the iphone but never wanted the iphone. I went from verizon's env to the samsung instinct.. because it was supposed to be so amazing..fail. Then went to a htc diamond, figured it was the next best thing at that time..no comparison. and now ive got the pre...

    I love it, i dont know that i could live w/out multi tasking, but I used an iphone last night for the first time in a long time, and it just seemed SOOOOOO smooth and responsive. No choppynesss with anything, sometimes on the pre i hit things and feel like maybe i missed or didnt hit it cuz its soo slow.

    does anyone think that that is ever going to improve??? id rather palm not worry about adding "features" and just worry about making what they have work better.

    it takes me longer to get things up on the phoone (a text) or the browser, or an email, than it does to either type the text, load/view the page, or reply to an email. its just pretty frustrating.. and im tired of feeling like ive always got the 2nd best with things.

    ok. done rambling. go ahead with the hating.
  2. #2  
    You're not wrong....the Pre is very laggy compared to the iPhone/Android. One would think that would be the sort of thing PALM would have had working/fixed before launch.
  3. #3  
    edit... this is futile... yes it's slow.
    Last edited by czz7661; 10/28/2009 at 10:55 AM.
  4. strudel's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #4  
    Yes, the Pre could open apps quicker and do open quicker on other phone OSes. The question is, does it really matter if you need to only open them once?

    I think of the Pre the same way I do with any modern computer I use, I don't close anything unless if I have to. I would really hate Microsoft Exchange if I opened/closed it for every email that came in but I don't do that, I leave it open all of the time. I do the same thing on the Pre. I always have messaging, phone, email and calendar open so app loading time is irrelevant for those core apps where response time is important. The only exception to this would be apps like Pandora or navigation that drain the battery fairly quickly and degrade the performance significantly when they are open. If I am not going to be using those apps for awhile, I throw away the card.

    With my approach I do run into the "Too many cards" error fairly often, especially if I am doing a lot of web surfing. The instant switching of apps is worth the trade off for having to unexpectedly throw away a few cards here and there.

    Now if I was always opening apps and closing them immediately when I was done, I would be frustrated with the load times.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    Yes, the Pre could open apps quicker and do open quicker on other phone OSes. The question is, does it really matter if you need to only open them once?

    I think of the Pre the same way I do with any modern computer I use, I don't close anything unless if I have to. I would really hate Microsoft Exchange if I opened/closed it for every email that came in but I don't do that, I leave it open all of the time. I do the same thing on the Pre. I always have messaging, phone, email and calendar open so app loading time is irrelevant for those core apps where response time is important. The only exception to this would be apps like Pandora or navigation that drain the battery fairly quickly and degrade the performance significantly when they are open. If I am not going to be using those apps for awhile, I throw away the card.

    With my approach I do run into the "Too many cards" error fairly often, especially if I am doing a lot of web surfing. The instant switching of apps is worth the trade off for having to unexpectedly throw away a few cards here and there.

    Now if I was always opening apps and closing them immediately when I was done, I would be frustrated with the load times.
    very tru imo

    EDIT: that is what webOS is about....multitasking and leaving (the ones u need) apps open the whole time...
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  6. #6  
    i love cards lol ,and now with the no quick launch bar theme its even better lol see..... i can now enjoy the whole screen all the time yay!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  7. #7  
    I might shock some people here, being as how I'm more often than not defending Palm and the Pre. But I'll say that yes, the Pre is very laggy, particularly in the phone app and the calendar. I was hoping that things would be resolved in 1.2, and they seemed to be, a bit. But, 1.2.1 seems to have been a step backwards.

    I would like to add, though, that Palm's in a bit of a pickle here. If they spend time optimizing WebOS, without adding features and functionality, then they'll get pilloried by folks who want their video recorders and fleshed-out PIM apps. If they add features and functionality, but fail to optimize, then... well, I think we all know what.

    I'm pretty sure, though, that Palm doesn't have the resources to do both, completely, at the same time. I'm sure that if they did, they would. I just don't get the impression that Palm employees are sitting around twiddling their thumbs, just to spite us.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i love cards lol ,and now with the no quick launch bar theme its even better lol see..... i can now enjoy the whole screen all the time yay!!!!
    is there a way to get the no quick launch bar without getting it as a theme?
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by twentythreemx View Post
    but one queustion comes in mind.. will it ever function as smooth and responsive as say..the iphone?
    IMO, no. With currently available hardware, I think some "lag" is just the nature of the beast (a multitasking phone OS). If iPhoneOS was doing the same things as WebOS, I'm sure it would have some of the same problems. But since the iPhone only needs to run one app at a time, it can devote essentially all of its resources to making said app run silky smooth. WebOS has to do a balancing act between giving resources to the active card and holding resources for other cards so that switching between them is reasonably smooth. Result: less resources available for the active card.

    I'm sure that Palm can and will continue to optimize WebOS, but it's just not going to be as smooth as the iPhone without better hardware.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    IMO, no. With currently available hardware, I think some "lag" is just the nature of the beast (a multitasking phone OS). If iPhoneOS was doing the same things as WebOS, I'm sure it would have some of the same problems. But since the iPhone only needs to run one app at a time, it can devote essentially all of its resources to making said app run silky smooth. WebOS has to do a balancing act between giving resources to the active card and holding resources for other cards so that switching between them is reasonably smooth. Result: less resources available for the active card.

    I'm sure that Palm can and will continue to optimize WebOS, but it's just not going to be as smooth as the iPhone without better hardware.
    well said...
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by twentythreemx View Post
    but one queustion comes in mind.. will it ever function as smooth and responsive as say..the iphone?
    ur pretty much comparing an OS that can run (in reality) 2 apps at once while webOS runs many at the same time...im saying iphoneOS can run 2 bc u can still have the music playing in the background (i think, never had an iphone) while texting or web browsing
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  12. #12  
    my opinion of course... but i dont think they will get rid of the lag and get to the smoothness of the 3GS at this time. It will have to be with 2nd gen phone and believe they will have to be running hardware comparable to the snap dragon processor to get it.

    its just that right now they have too many bugs to fix right now... and thats before bringing the list of features up to iphone and droid phones that are out there... they don't have the luxury now that apple did with iphone years ago... the landscape has changed and android is going to give iphone a run for it's money i have no doubt. they need all the features that comparable phones out there have NOW.

    once they get the current bugs ironed out and basically whats available in patches in the phone from palm directly then there is stuff like video recording and app store and possibly voice dialing and other little features. That stuff will all add up and weigh the phone down in performance.

    I always use the example of my 2G iphone with latest software... you have almost everything my 3GS does and the CPU is no slouch but it runs like... well... like a Pre and forget about the battery at this point... luckily it's just a nitestand phone for my daughter to play apps. And the Pre doesnt even have all the bells and whistles.

    look at the history of the iphone... they fix bugs, they offer new feature, new feature causes new bugs and cause battery drain and reduces performance, then they fix those bugs and optimize performance, then they go on to the next new feature and the cycle continues. I see this route for Palm... I wished they were going to get things better by European launch but they havent and are dead quiet now in updates. It means their next update should/better be a doozy but they are still far behind.

    Time will tell.
  13. #13  
    Lets also not forget that the iphone takes advantage of their similar CPU AND GPU. The pre is not even using the GPU yet. So factoring that in I think the pre is doing decent. Wish the music apps would not make the phone so sluggish, but we should at least wait for flash and see what comes with that.
  14. #14  
    I agree with the author of this thread. And it is why after over a decade I have switched to the hero. MUCH less lag. And far less stress.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    I agree with the author of this thread. And it is why after over a decade I have switched to the hero. MUCH less lag. And far less stress.
    If I had a Hero, I'd be spending my time on Hero forums. But, that's just me.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    If I had a Hero, I'd be spending my time on Hero forums. But, that's just me.
    It's possible he is indeed spending time on the Hero forums. What's wrong if he spends some time here...if he cuts all ties then it's more difficult for Palm to get him back.
  17. #17  
    yep... he did spend over ten years with Palm so you would think he deserves his say. He is one of those hard core Palm owners that was left behind when they killed the calendar and other features that made Palm... PALM. This is not your fathers Palm anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    It's possible he is indeed spending time on the Hero forums. What's wrong if he spends some time here...if he cuts all ties then it's more difficult for Palm to get him back.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    It's possible he is indeed spending time on the Hero forums. What's wrong if he spends some time here...if he cuts all ties then it's more difficult for Palm to get him back.
    Well, now, that's a good point. Explains why I shouldn't respond how I did, but still not why folks "leave" the Pre but continue to make negative posts on a forum dedicated to the Pre.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    yep... he did spend over ten years with Palm so you would think he deserves his say. He is one of those hard core Palm owners that was left behind when they killed the calendar and other features that made Palm... PALM. This is not your fathers Palm anymore
    Might as well weigh in here as well... If a person spends 10 years with Palm, why would he jump ship after just a few short months? I simply cannot fathom how one can take the Pre experience to date as so horrible that it utterly destroy's one's belief that the device can and will be improved...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  20. #20  
    Well, something like calendar and PIM for people that use it for work can not wait that long for the changes to come. Time is money and they need it for work like yesterday. Less patiences then people waiting for apps to play games, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Might as well weigh in here as well... If a person spends 10 years with Palm, why would he jump ship after just a few short months? I simply cannot fathom how one can take the Pre experience to date as so horrible that it utterly destroy's one's belief that the device can and will be improved...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions