Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. phlegm's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
       #1  
    We are a strange community.

    On the one hand, we are killing each other to get Google Voice invites, while at the same time we keep saying how much better the Pre is than Android phones.

    Many of us love iTunes sync, yet are keen to point out how the Pre has many benefits over the iPhone.

    We're quick to point out the cool new WebOS and its benefits, yet there is strong demand for old-school emulators like Classic.


    Are we hypocrites, or just weird?
  2. phlegm's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
       #2  
    Geez, always great to misspell your title. <sigh>
  3. #3  
    Neither. That's the great thing about webOS...we have options. There is no shame in using technology (regardless of the manufacturer) in the ways that benefit us the most.
  4. #4  
    software and hardware are differant stories....the software could be good, the hardware is undesirable. Thats like saying why use firefox if you have IE already....because preferance and choice is king!.....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  5. #5  
    I'm not loyal to any platform, even my own. In fact I want as much competition in this space as possible; we all benefit in the end.

    I like WebOS but there's also nice things about Android, and even nice things about iPhone. WebOS is just the best fit for me at the moment.
  6. #6  
    I see no problem with technological syncretism. The Pre is the perfect phone for me (after homebrew/tweaks/etc.), with a much more appealing interface than iPhone and Android, so I'll just cherry-pick the best software until something I absolutely have to have gets locked down on a different platform.
  7. #7  
    Hear hear! Use technology the way I want!!
    Last edited by pogeypre; 10/28/2009 at 12:26 PM.
  8. #8  
    I think people just want what they want and it seems a lot of people who picked up the pre haven't had the experience of being early adopters. I don't think people realize how many issues iphone and android had in their first year. Though I will jump on board when I say that palm needs to improve their sdk and devise a way to allow for native apps in webos, the lag issues are very well founded and palm should have been aware of this when they chose to abstract out the application development into javascript. I'm guessing they will if they want to survive.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by v0rt View Post
    I see no problem with technological syncretism. The Pre is the perfect phone for me (after homebrew/tweaks/etc.), with a much more appealing interface than iPhone and Android, so I'll just cherry-pick the best software until something I absolutely have to have gets locked down on a different platform.
    Awesome word, "syncretism." I had to look it up, even, and that's unusual. Thanks!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10. phlegm's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by v0rt View Post
    I see no problem with technological syncretism. The Pre is the perfect phone for me (after homebrew/tweaks/etc.), with a much more appealing interface than iPhone and Android, so I'll just cherry-pick the best software until something I absolutely have to have gets locked down on a different platform.
    vOrt uses words like "syncretism" and I can't even spell.
  11. #11  
    I fail to see how it's hypocritical to like Google Voice but not Android. They are completely different. The same with iTunes and the iPhone. Just because two products/services come from the same company, it's perfectly acceptable to like one but not the other. I love Lucky Charms, but hell if I'm going to eat Fiber One (both made by General Mills).
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    We are a strange community
    Probably because we're not much of a "community" ... just a bunch of folks who happen to own the same phone. And, the Pre is really a kind of middle-of-the-road phone (intentionally I believe). Not really business, not really media, not really "open", not really "social networking" ... although it kinda' works on all of those levels.

    It cracks me up when I see posts every day that say the Pre sucks because it's missing some "must have" feature ... and almost every post is about a *different* feature . So, yeah it's a little scattered and a little strange, but the variety kind of makes it interesting.
  13. ajb176's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by czz7661 View Post
    I think people just want what they want and it seems a lot of people who picked up the pre haven't had the experience of being early adopters. I don't think people realize how many issues iphone and android had in their first year. Though I will jump on board when I say that palm needs to improve their sdk and devise a way to allow for native apps in webos, the lag issues are very well founded and palm should have been aware of this when they chose to abstract out the application development into javascript. I'm guessing they will if they want to survive.
    Very true. Many pre owners didn't realize that we had jumped into the early adopter boat. They're reflected in many of the posts we see. I consider myself one of those people. The iphone and the G1 had issues in their first year too, I think people were hoping that since the Pre came out much later than those phones and OS' it would be more polished. As they dig deeper and uncover some flaws or lack of features, enter the disappointment. Web OS is great, but needs some work. The question will be whether people keep the faith with Palm.

    As for competition, I'm all for it. If there's a great feature or app on another phone, I'm happy because I'm sure its only a matter of time before it makes it to my phone. Competitions is what keeps us coming back and what has me looking forward to Pre2.
  14. Habious's Avatar
    Posts
    245 Posts
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    #14  
    Everyone's needs are different.

    For me, I don't use the iTunes support...even going so far as to remove the Media Sync option via a Preware patch (thank you!!)

    Nor do I use Classic (I actually bought it and then quickly realized that I didn't need it, thanks to Homebrew apps like Checkbook).

    Nor do I see myself needing/wanting Google Voice.


    I'm not saying the Pre "does everything" I need, it doesn't. But, as far as I can tell from doing quite a bit of research, no device does.

    At least with the Pre, you've got some options. If you don't like what the OS does, submit a request and, if enough people agree with you that it's a good idea, someone will probably write a patch for it (I noticed that the "haptic feedback for the calculator" went from "idea" to "patch" in about 3 days).

    As for apps, there simply is no comparison....Apple has this contest wrapped up for the forseeable future. If your big thing is apps, you need to get yourself an iPhone or an iPod Touch...simple as that.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    So, yeah it's a little scattered and a little strange, but the variety kind of makes it interesting.
    Don't the Chinese have a proverb about things being "interesting"?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  16. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #16  
    sir,
    No we are not hypocrites.
    Google does many things other than phones so we like google voice.
    We had our music organized longtime back using itunes , so we use itunes.
  17. d.moss's Avatar
    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #17  
    who you callin a hippo! you're the hippo! lol.. i just wanted to say that.. a silly topic calls for a silly response.. and in my opinion (so all slandering responses will be disregarded) competition sucks! it doesn't make process and advancements come faster! it hinders it. think of where mobile devices would be if palm, microsoft, apple, android, rim, and nokia all came together.. wow.. but money rules everything.. which still continues to boggle my mind.. it seems that we think nothing could exist if there was no money to pay for it.. as if the resources aren't still gonna be here regardless of if monetary value isn't placed on them.. i see myself beginning to rant so i'l stop there.. the last point i'll make is this.. if you're trying to solve a problem.. that problem will get solved much quicker if you have 100,000 people helping you as opposed to 1000..
  18. phlegm's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
       #18  
    Not sure that I agree this topic is silly d.moss, but I do appreciate your response and respect your opinion. (How Canadian of me!)

    I guess what I really meant with this topic - and maybe hypocrite is the wrong description - is that we (Palm users) are very reliant on external technology. We're not a standalone community/device like others.

    For example, Google has their own calendering app, searching, and this ties to Android. They're not looking to Palm for anything.

    Meanwhile, Palm devices are plugging into these 3rd party features, without offering their own. I'm not sure if that's:

    -smart, because it offers us the most choice
    -by necessity, because Palm isn't large enough to offer their own
    -or by flawed business model, because they don't feel they need to offer a complete solution and "lock" people in.

    So, given our reliance on 3rd party apps for nearly everything, I find it odd that people complain about some of the pain associated with this.

    Tired of iTunes sync breaking? Maybe the iphone was a better choice?
    Is Google calendar sync crawling for you? Maybe time for a 'droid.

    I love the Pre man, but you're gonna have a love/hate relationship with how we tap into other services sometimes. Our complaints and choice about this are probably better described as "unique" instead of hypocritical.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Not sure that I agree this topic is silly d.moss, but I do appreciate your response and respect your opinion. (How Canadian of me!)

    I guess what I really meant with this topic - and maybe hypocrite is the wrong description - is that we (Palm users) are very reliant on external technology. We're not a standalone community/device like others.

    For example, Google has their own calendering app, searching, and this ties to Android. They're not looking to Palm for anything.

    Meanwhile, Palm devices are plugging into these 3rd party features, without offering their own. I'm not sure if that's:

    -smart, because it offers us the most choice
    -by necessity, because Palm isn't large enough to offer their own
    -or by flawed business model, because they don't feel they need to offer a complete solution and "lock" people in.

    So, given our reliance on 3rd party apps for nearly everything, I find it odd that people complain about some of the pain associated with this.

    Tired of iTunes sync breaking? Maybe the iphone was a better choice?
    Is Google calendar sync crawling for you? Maybe time for a 'droid.

    I love the Pre man, but you're gonna have a love/hate relationship with how we tap into other services sometimes. Our complaints and choice about this are probably better described as "unique" instead of hypocritical.
    As far as tapping into "3rd party" solutions, well: isn't that the Internet in general? And if I get an Android device and don't use Google email, aren't I "tapping into" Yahoo!'s services, or Microsoft's, or my ISP's?

    Sure, Google offers more software and services than does Palm, but that's just a measure of degree (and, of course, resources, of which Google has about 20X as much as does Palm). Apple has MobileMe (yuck!), but otherwise they rely on Google for mapping, etc.

    As far as iTunes syncing, nobody has that officially except Apple. Microsoft has Windows Media Player (I think, still; not sure if it's still supported with Windows Mobile devices). I don't think Google has anything. And what does RIM have, other than RIM email push?

    In this regard, I think Palm's really no different thany anyone else out there.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  20. d.moss's Avatar
    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Not sure that I agree this topic is silly d.moss, but I do appreciate your response and respect your opinion. (How Canadian of me!)

    I guess what I really meant with this topic - and maybe hypocrite is the wrong description - is that we (Palm users) are very reliant on external technology. We're not a standalone community/device like others.

    For example, Google has their own calendering app, searching, and this ties to Android. They're not looking to Palm for anything.

    Meanwhile, Palm devices are plugging into these 3rd party features, without offering their own. I'm not sure if that's:

    -smart, because it offers us the most choice
    -by necessity, because Palm isn't large enough to offer their own
    -or by flawed business model, because they don't feel they need to offer a complete solution and "lock" people in.

    So, given our reliance on 3rd party apps for nearly everything, I find it odd that people complain about some of the pain associated with this.

    Tired of iTunes sync breaking? Maybe the iphone was a better choice?
    Is Google calendar sync crawling for you? Maybe time for a 'droid.

    I love the Pre man, but you're gonna have a love/hate relationship with how we tap into other services sometimes. Our complaints and choice about this are probably better described as "unique" instead of hypocritical.
    you know.. now that you say it like that, i understand where you're coming from.. but at the same time.. who doesn't rely on google services ya know? gmail, maps, voice, docs, etc. as far as web services, google is taking over (someone say government owned conspiracy?) sooo yeah.. i see where you're coming from though.. i do like a more "standalone" product.. personally.. next time just don't call people hypocrites.. it just starts everything off on a bad note.. you're bound to get irate responses if you choose negative words.. i retract my previous statement.. its not a silly post.. but i stand firm on my views of competition ha
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions