1.    #1  
    HI all, I do not have a Pre, I am waiting for the V version, early next year. Apparently, you can not voice dail using the Pre. Would the following change that? Thanks Jay
    ps: you can find the following article at:
    gDial Pro for Palm WebOS - Free Mobile software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

gDial Pro for Palm WebOS 0.8.9

Publisher's description
    From flpalm :
    gDial Pro is a Google Voice client for the Palm Pre. It provides an easy way to call your contacts or send them text messages from your Google Voice number instead of your cell number. You can also view your Google Voice history and make account changes all within the application. gDial Pro features dial any contact on your Pre using Google Voice as the outgoing number, send SMS messages through Google Voice, view Google Voice call, text, or voicemail history, access the Google Voice mobile site from within the app, and caller info for any contact in your Google Voice Contacts.

CNET Editor's Note: The 'Download Now' link takes you to the publisher page where you can learn more about the product. You can download gDial Pro directly from the App Catalog on your phone.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    probably no
    Last edited by Shadavis08; 10/27/2009 at 06:25 PM.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    No. Look here to see what google voice is/does - Basics : How it works - Google Voice Help
    -m
    Not sure where your reading that gVoice offers voice dial. I've read somewhere(sry can't remember where) that palm needs to either implement them selves or release a better SDK so the developers can write some voice dial apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by TWC_SouthPhilly View Post
    Not sure where your reading that gVoice offers voice dial.
    Probably because it's called Google Voice. Some people don't read beyond the names of things...
    Right - Google Voice is not voice dial. It's really more voice mail. Easy to be confused -
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Right - Google Voice is not voice dial. It's really more voice mail. Easy to be confused -
    But I keep hoping they WILL do it. They have the voice recognition software in GOOG411, they have all my Contacts in Google Contacts. If I dial my Google Voice number to make a call, seems like they could ask me "Who do you want to call", look it up in Contacts, and connect me ... yes?

Ah well ... maybe someday 8^).
    I think everyone missed the point of the question. The OP is not asking if Google Voice implements voice dialing, they are asking how Google Voice is able to use the microphone on the Pre when no other app can, for lack of an API addressing it.

The answer is: it doesn't.

when you make a VOIP call on Google Voice you dial the number through your EVDO or WLAN connection and Google Voice calls you back over the cellular network. So the microphone is only used over a typical cell call, it's only a Voip call from Google's servers on.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    I think everyone missed the point of the question. The OP is not asking if Google Voice implements voice dialing, they are asking how Google Voice is able to use the microphone on the Pre when no other app can, for lack of an API addressing it.

The answer is: it doesn't.

when you make a VOIP call on Google Voice you dial the number through your EVDO or WLAN connection and Google Voice calls you back over the cellular network. So the microphone is only used over a typical cell call, it's only a Voip call from Google's servers on.
    Whoa! I don't see "microphone" or "API" anywhere in the original post. They guy asks for "plain english" and you think he's going to understand a foot-long string of acronyms? I think "voice dial" was the question, and the answer is "no".
    I think there are two questions. The subject seems to be asking what Google Voice does (in plain English), the message itself seems to be asking if Google Voice will enable the Pre to do voice dialing.

To the latter, I'd say not now, maybe someday. To the former, in plain English, Google Voice is like a virtual receptionist. It can take a message (transforming from voice to text), it can screen a call for you, and it can forward calls to any one of many (or several at once) phones where you can be reached.

Google Voice is one of the few internet/voice combinations that I would actually pay a fee for, but it's free (at least, for now).

My only complaint about it is that I want to use my existing cell phone number as my GV number.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Whoa! I don't see "microphone" or "API" anywhere in the original post. They guy asks for "plain english" and you think he's going to understand a foot-long string of acronyms? I think "voice dial" was the question, and the answer is "no".
    I also don't see where the description the OP posted says anything about voice dialing being a feature of Google Voice.

So how about it, ilovedessert, were you asking if Google Voice does voice dial, or were you asking how it"s able to use the microphone, since that's the hold up with any third party voice dial app?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.