Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by palmprespain View Post
    I have managed to get all those services on my MVNO, the only problem is that the pre seems to remember the network it was on before and now thinks it is roaming constantly..
    This should happen with every phone out there. That's not news: you're not using your carrier network, you're using 3rd party networks (movistar, vodafone, orange...). So, in fact, you're roaming.
    This is incorrect. The MCC and MNC are unique to the network, regardless of whether it's a physical network (Vodafone, Orange, Yoigo, Telefónica) or a virtual one (Euskaltel, ONO, Simyo, Jazztel etc).

You are only roaming when you attempt to connect to and are accepted on to an MCC other than that programmed on the SIM. Therefore it is impossible to be roaming on Simyo in Spain.

You can test this by inserting the a SIMYO SIM into any phone which works correctly (a Nokia, iPhone, SonyEricson, any Android phone..) ONLY the Palm Pre thinks it is roaming and this must be something related to the ridiculous activation process they dreamt up.

Why is the Palm Pre the ONLY phone that attempts to maintain a carrier database in memory when EVERY other phone can be configured by receiving an SMS from the carrier?
    This is incorrect. The MCC and MNC are unique to the network, regardless of whether it's a physical network (Vodafone, Orange, Yoigo, Telefónica) or a virtual one (Euskaltel, ONO, Simyo, Jazztel etc).

You are only roaming when you attempt to connect to and are accepted on to an MCC other than that programmed on the SIM. Therefore it is impossible to be roaming on Simyo in Spain.

You can test this by inserting the a SIMYO SIM into any phone which works correctly (a Nokia, iPhone, SonyEricson, any Android phone..) ONLY the Palm Pre thinks it is roaming and this must be something related to the ridiculous activation process they dreamt up.

Why is the Palm Pre the ONLY phone that attempts to maintain a carrier database in memory when EVERY other phone can be configured by receiving an SMS from the carrier?
    Macho, que no. Que los Windows Mobile también marcan Roaming cuando estás en un OMV. El Pre no es el único. Y tampoco es cierto que sea el Palm Pre el único que no mantiene una base de datos de operadores.
    Quote Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
    I tried the fix DB..but no help there...
    You are not doing it right. if you have edited correctly db, you should have 3G/gprs connection. Remember, you have to edit TWO tables in db. first table is for general info about carrier! in second you have to enter details about apn, user name and password first for gprs, than for mms.

You are wrong - any phone sold exclusively through carrier is preconfigured to use only default gprs/mms settings by that carrier.

I would suggest that all users that have decoded (sim unlocked) their Pres restrain from criticizing Pre's 3G performance because i have sim unlocked Pre, and I have entered correctly gprs/mms parameters for two local carriers and 3g/mms performance of Pre is excellent, so answer is that you are doing something wrong with carrier db!.
    Last edited by chalx; 06/01/2010 at 08:21 AM.
    You are wrong - any phone sold exclusively through carrier is preconfigured to use only default gprs/mms settings by that carrier.
    No I am not. Yes, phones are often carrier preconfigured but you have missed the point.

I stated that the Palm Pre the ONLY phone that attempts to maintain a carrier database in memory. Some phones (like Nokia terminals) will allow you to keep more than one carrier setting profile but NO OTHER PHONE keeps a 220Kb database of carriers the terminal manufacture has decided you can use.

The Pre is not only preconfigured, it is pre-limited.

If your carrier is not in the database, you CANNOT change the configuration via the menu. Virtually every other phone can be changed from the carrier presets which will only return on a reset. Normally you can receive an SMS with the new network configuration when you get off the plane.

With the Pre, normally you have to get out your PC and start changing the carrier database.. really, who thought this up?

The Palm database lacks carriers in Europe, moreover it is inconsistent- a carrier might be listed in one country, but not across the border.
    believe me, any new Nokia locked to carrier will not allow you to change gprs parameters and you have to reflash it with unbranded firmware, to be able to enter any setting different from original. Last Nokia I had was N78 from Vodafone UK, and it would not allow gprs/mms settings editing! It is same with Pre - it will not allow you to enter any unsupported carrier parameters. It is not a bug, it is a feature requested by O2, and future Palm's partners (all in carrier db).
    We don't have any N78 in our database, so I cant really comment on the specific case you mention. We do have literally hundreds of Nokia phones in inventory, and it is possible to change the carrier settings on N73, N95, N95 8GB, N97, N97 mini, N5800X and 5800 navegator locked to Vodafone UK/Spain, Orange France/Spain and Movistar. Of course, you cant use the phone until the carrier supplies the network unlock code..

No other phone we have ever seen limits carrier selection based on a database of permitted options. And of course this is futile anyway if you can add carriers to the file..

And besides, what right does Palm have to limit the use of a product it has sold when EU law requires carriers to provide unlock codes on contract expiry?

Anyway, we seem to be getting off topic- the issue originally raised was how can you make the Pre forget the network it was activated on so that when you change networks it does not think it is roaming constantly?
    Again, the Pre will not show roaming icon in Carrier Networks. It doesn't do it in Vodafone, or Orange.
    Hey guys just had an interesting experience with my Pre. I'm using Rebel Sim on Orange UK. When I got the phone (second hand from a friend on O2-he is an ***** that hated it) I upgraded to 1.4.1 then downgraded baseband. I struggled for hours trying to get data and 3g to work. Anyway I eventually got it working but I didn't really remember what exactly I had done.

Yesterday my phone had been without battery for a fair while and when I turned it on it the time was wrong and it couldn't get network time. I reset it manually which fixed one problem but caused another. My 3G had gone and was replaced with R, I couldn't use data and get emails.

However this isn't a please help me story because I managed to fix the problem. I tried changing APN but was denied by the phone. I took out the orange sim and put in an O2 one and I was able to set APN as orangeinternet. The phone gave me a warning about losing data, but I ignored it. I put the orange sim back in and now have data and 3G back. Hooray.

Hope this help some of you with data/3g problems
    Is it possible to edit the CarrierNetworkSettings database to enter Proxy server information?

Although APN enries for Vodafone India are already present in the CarrierNetworkSettings database, I am unable to get any data on the phone. Although apparently it seems that the phone is connected to the Edge network as the 'E' symbol is displayed on the phone. The problem is that Vodafone in India has two Edge/GPRS services, 'Vodafone Connect' & 'Vodafone LIve'. Based on the settings in the Palm Pre, it seems 'Vodafone Connect' will work but 'Vodafone Live' will not. Seemingly the reason 'Vodafone Live' does not work is, because for that Vodafone uses a Proxy Server and there is no place in the Palm Pre settings to enter the Proxy Server information. So the question now is, whether we can edit the CarrierNetworkSettings database to enter the Proxy server information. Based on what I could make out from a look at the 'CarrierNetworkSettings.db3' file, there does not seem to be a provision for Proxy Server information for Internet data. Although the MMS entries do allow for it.

I am able to connect and get data with the 'Vodafone Connect' service with the default auto settings of the Palm Pre. Thus the problem is confirmed to be with 'Vodafone Live' services which require Proxy server settings. Which the Palm Pre does not allow for even under the manual settings.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 06/30/2010 at 09:57 AM.
    Hi,

Just got the info that Pre works with BSNL - Countrywide.

However i am using a BSNL 3G connection on my Palm Pre Plus but i am not able to configure Network Settings.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
    Nageshwar E G
    can someon help me setup the file for my carrier i have viaero wireless which isnt on the db3 i backuped. So how do i manualy add it anyhelp would be great thanks.
    Last edited by 00grim; 07/02/2010 at 08:28 PM.
    Guys, did you look at the How_to_solve_3G_data_problems wiki. It contains a section "carrier/operator not present in the Pre carrier database". Please record your experience in that wiki.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick99999 View Post
    Guys, did you look at the How_to_solve_3G_data_problems wiki. It contains a section "carrier/operator not present in the Pre carrier database". Please record your experience in that wiki.
    thats where i looked at how to change them but was a no go
    Quote Originally Posted by 00grim View Post
    can someon help me setup the file for my carrier i have viaero wireless which isnt on the db3 i backuped. So how do i manualy add it anyhelp would be great thanks.
    So where did you get stuck, which steps of the Wiki did not work for you?
    i did everything step by step uploaded them to the phone but it still had no internet or mms.
    If someone could help me get this working on my pre i would gladly paypal $10 bucks or so to them
    If someone could help me get this working on my pre i would gladly paypal $10 bucks or so to them
    hi Grim,

as you noticed the procedure is strictly empiric and I cannot garantee that work with all carriers in the world. For exemple it worked in case of the operator Orange Moldova BUT it didn't work for another operator (Moldcell Moldova) in the same country.. I still do not know why! It seems the PRE is not a world wide compatible phone..

Since I'm planning to active a SIM card with this operator I will make some tries and see if I can resolve this problem changing some settings...

Actually I'm in Italy so I cannot make experiments on the database; I will try as soon as possible when I'll be back in Moldova
    i did everything step by step uploaded them to the phone but it still had no internet or mms.
    Could you publish the lines added or modified in both the carrier and the data tables. That would perhaps help to find the problem.
    You mentioned you backed up the database. Was it before doing any webOS updates? If I'm not mistaken putting a database from a different webOS version could cause problems, so just to be sure to rule that out.

I have to say I've had nothing but success with my carrier (Tele2 Croatia). Similarly, it wasn't to be found in the database but I see now I haven't actually followed the steps you did.

For one, I'm not really sure why but I didn't create another record, instead I changed an existing one (there was one from Tele2 from some other country and since I won't need that one, it was perfectly logical to simply change it with data for Tele2 from Croatia - another logic here is that Tele2 probably has similar setups across their companies around the world so all those numerous fields we don't know much about could actually be the same for Tele2 in my country - and that seems to have been proven as correct assumption since I setup my carrier from try one).

So not following the steps you followed, I realize, especially starting from step 9, my road differed a lot. I didn't bother with what step 9 says since that other Tele2 network had it empty along with "isSmscNumberOnSimCard" with the value of "1" (and I can normally send SMS messages now).

I also didn't have to touch most of the other things mentioned in steps 10 (field was already populated with "160", later figured I'd change it to something bigger), step 11 ("mmscWapgateway" was empty, left it that way, "mmscUrl" was provided by carrier and "mmscPortNumber" had a value of "0" but that's why "mmsProxy" had gateway and proxy information all in one, like "130.244.196.090:8080") and step 12 (I didn't touch any of those since they were already either populated or empty, I can give you all the values so you can try with those but I'd see with your carrier first).

As for step 13, I don't know how it is when you create a new record but with me that number was in field 59 (id) and there were 3 more fields, two populated and the last one empty (_class_id, _mod_num and _flags). I can't be sure, but I'd say these last fields have something to do with the system, not the carrier so of course I left them as they were.

Regarding the passwords from step 17, since my carried didn't provide any, I left what was there and these fields weren't blank, they both had values "hs_null" - may make a difference with the system so you may try if applicable.

Step 18: that's how fields were already populated.

Step 19: don't really know what's "the name of the settings provided by your carrier" but I put a bit longer name of my carrier, like "Tele2 HR GPRS" (as it was originally something like "Tele2 ?? GPRS").

Step 20: all other fields weren't blank in my case, namely id was "1099511627897" (that's not the id you had to copy from the first table). "_class_id" was also "1" and "_mod_num" was populated with some, seemingly random number, but who knows what this is for.

Also, there was another record in that table from the other Tele2 carrier (for MMS) which I populated similarly with data from my carrier.

I copied my records here if they can be of help (I haven't tested MMS so I don't know if that worked by 3G works):

From table "com_palm_data_carriernetworksettings_CarrierNetworkSettings":
    Code:
    INSERT INTO "com_palm_data_carriernetworksettings_CarrierNetworkSettings" VALUES ("219","2","Tele2","0","0","0","0","Tele2 HR","1","1",null,"160","1",null,"173","10","20","1","1","7",null,null,"0","0",null,"1","1","1","1",null,null,"0","0","0","0","563",null,"http://mmsc.tele2.hr","0","300","295","5000","295","480","640","20","130.244.196.090:8080","1","1","11","0","1","1","1","1","1","0","0","2199023255599","2","551",null);
    And from table "com_palm_data_carriernetworksettings_DataConnectionSettings":
    Code:
    INSERT INTO "com_palm_data_carriernetworksettings_DataConnectionSettings" VALUES ("2199023255599","internet.tele2.hr","422","hs_null","hs_null","1","1","Tele2 HR GPRS","1099511627897","1","545",null);
    Code:
    INSERT INTO "com_palm_data_carriernetworksettings_DataConnectionSettings" VALUES ("2199023255599","internet.tele2.hr","563","hs_null","hs_null","4","4","Tele2 HR","1099511627898","1","549",null);
    So, as you see, there are things that weren't just empty so maybe that has to do with how everything works out at the end. I hope you can find a reference in another record as I did for Tele2 (or as I would for my older carrier Vipnet which is owned by Vodafone and since there is no other Vipnet network in the database but there are many records for Vodafone, I'd use one of those and from what I've briefly observed many of which have similar settings).

At last, it's also important you are 100% positive you are dealing with correct information from your carrier as these things can change and you could try your SIM card with another phone (preferably officially supported by your carrier) so you can rule out problems with your carrier or your SIM card.
    Want to get the best Android Apps on your webOS device? Tell HP we need OpenMobile ACL!
    Sign the petition today at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/a...apps-on-webos/
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast