1.    #1  
    Okay, I love the Pre but this is driving me crazy..

My favorite boomed headset, the ETY-COM by Etymotic Research is an excellent wired mono headset with a boomed mic and 2.5mm jack. I wanted to use it with my Pre so thought just buy a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, right? Wrong.

That only half-way works. I can hear the callers fine through the headset but they can only hear me through the phone's mic - which is in my pocket or car console, etc making me sound far away. The headset mic is disabled and the phone's mic is still is active! ..which, of course, makes the headset basically useless.

So, has anyone found a solution to getting a 2.5mm wired headset to work with the Pre?

For what it's worth, I know bluetooth works. I have one but prefer the quality of a wired headset. And I know the included wired headset works but just want a mono headset and prefer a boomed mic to the in-line mic that scrapes your clothes and makes noise.

Thanks for your help!
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I haven't tried it, but it sounds like the pre is only wired for headphones, and not a mic.

So there probably isn't even a contact for a microphone in the headphone plug.

You're probably stuck with bluetooth.
    the original headphones have a mic on them for phone calls as far as the adapter goes maybe the adapter was bad it should work you would think
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    The microphone functionality will only work if the 3.5mm adapter you have has the same pin arrangement as the 2.5mm headset you're trying to use. If the 3.5mm adapter you're using is TRS only, you won't have any luck. Why not just use the included headphones?
    yes there are those three lines on the 3.5 jack on the original headphone jack
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Why not just use the included headphones?
    Touched on that but since your asking..

1. Comfort - those buds are simply uncomfortable in my ears.
    2. Mono - for phone conversations, I only want the sound in one ear and don't want the other bud dangling around or tied up and adding weight.
    3. In-line mic - prefer a mic that's out on a boom, not touching anything. In-line mics are problematic in that they brush against clothes, coats, skin, etc causing distracting noise in the process.

All reasons for using the Ety-Com and for wanting to make it work with my Pre.

Pin arrangement could be an issue. Called Etymotic but couldn't get a hold of anyone that knew anything more than what's written in their catalog.
    try some bluetooth headphones maybe ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Sounds like you need a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter that supports a mic.
  9.    #10  
    Ha! I actually ordered that right after my initial post. That very one. I'll let you guys know if it works out..
    Quote Originally Posted by El Valluco View Post
    Ha! I actually ordered that right after my initial post. That very one. I'll let you guys know if it works out..
    No doubt it will, since it is a Stero Audio Headset Adapter and no just a Stero Audio Adapter as your current one seems to be. (require 4 conductors not 3 = 3 rings of insulation)
    Last edited by johncc; 11/13/2009 at 05:39 PM.
  11.    #12  
    Careful if ordering this adapter.. I ordered it and received a 3.5 to 3.5 extension, instead. Honestly, it's always a toss-up with these Amazon 3rd party vendors. Tried another vendor and got what's actually advertised

...and it WORKED! So as long as you are ordering a 2.5 to 3.5mm extension with three rings, your mono headset will work with the Pre.

While I'm at it, I'll also go ahead and plug the EtyCom headset.. easily the best wired headset you could buy. Just happy I can keep using it.

Thanks, everybody!
    Could you post a link to the vendor that has the correct adapter ?