Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I browsed the net certain I was using wi-fi, then I updated the OS version to 1.13, now my mobile carrier says I've no credit while I'm sure I had a lot, what happened during these two operations? How do I block Internet from using credit, then using wi-fi, and how these system updates work?
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I browsed the net certain I was using wi-fi, then I updated the OS version to 1.13, now my mobile carrier says I've no credit while I'm sure I had a lot, what happened during these two operations? How do I block Internet from using credit, then using wi-fi, and how these system updates work?
    Huh
    i bet your profile was restored using cellular data. You can't even set WIFI up until your profile is completed. You used your "credits" restoring your contacts and such on your Palm Profile....my guess anyways.

edit: maybe not, did you webdr it?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  4.    #4  
    I expressed myself poorly but then English is not my 1st language, HOW DO YOU MAKE SURE THAT YOU'RE BROWSING THE NET THROUGH WI-FI AND NOT USING UP YOUR HARD-EARNED CREDIT MONEY? This was my first question.
    The second curiosity is how updates work. I updated my Palm software to 1.13 (why not 1.2?!?) and then Vodafone told me my credit was finished, did they update the software somehow through your mobile carrier? duh?
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge and confusing ways of expression
    Go to the phone preference settings. Under network there is an on/off toggle for data usage, set it to off.
    That sucks. The mobile phone company over there doesn't offer unlimit data? The Pre updates OTA (over the air) so I'm not sure it'll let it go through WiFi for that. The updates so far have been pretty heavy too.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by zenzombie View Post
    Go to the phone preference settings. Under network there is an on/off toggle for data usage, set it to off.
    Data roaming is already disabled, if that's what you meant

Thanks Kasracer, now I know it was the updatethn, I'll set it to off and do it manually if it can be done. Want to update to 1.2 pretty soon...
  8.    #8  
    I find it very bizarre though that to update your phone they eat up your credit, am I the only poor soul with a pay-as-you-go contract?

I'm pretty pi$$ed by the whole thing and would like to block updates unconditionally and update manually when I see anything interesting, can it be done? Thanks
    I expressed myself poorly but then English is not my 1st language, HOW DO YOU MAKE SURE THAT YOU'RE BROWSING THE NET THROUGH WI-FI AND NOT USING UP YOUR HARD-EARNED CREDIT MONEY? This was my first question.
    The second curiosity is how updates work. I updated my Palm software to 1.13 (why not 1.2?!?) and then Vodafone told me my credit was finished, did they update the software somehow through your mobile carrier? duh?
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge and confusing ways of expression
    Sorry, I didn't know there was a company that didn't offer unlimited internet. I don't have a solution for you either
    Data roaming is already disabled, if that's what you meant
    That's not what he meant. In 1.2(.1) there's an option to turn off data usage entirely. Of course, the GSM Pre is still on 1.1.3, so that doesn't help you unfortunately.
    yeah, 1.1.3 does not have that option. The update should not go over 3g if you have your wifi connected. There is no way of disabling data on your device currently. However the rumor is the rest of the world will get 1.3 at the same time as the US and it should be out sometime in novemeber with the Pixi launch on the 15th. Just remember it takes a little while to download the update, and if your screen goes out wifi is shut off, but the pre will continue downloading the update in the background, so you must complete the download with the screen on and wifi connected to avoid using 3g....

12.    #12  
    I just called Vodafone and they told me that between yeasterday and today there are charges of 30 euros for GPRS connection on my pay-as-you-go simcard, what the hell is that! They are crediting me back 10 euros as a goodwill gesture but I will have to block this automatic connection to GPRS on the Pre How am I gonna do that?
    I'm not using the d^mn bugger until i've sorted this out grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Wow, that sucks that they don't offer a unlimited data plan. Here in the States you can not even GET a Pre unless you sign up for an unlimited data plan.
    Do you have an option to change phone companies in your area?
    Just remember that WIFI does not stay on. It turns off if the screen goes out. The Pre will continue downloading on 3g if it loses wifi. For me thats great, for a PAYG maybe not so much. Check into NODOZE? to keep the wifi connection active if the phone goes into sleep mode....Nodoze is a homebrew app available from Preware. Also know that when you do get 1.3, it should have an easy toggle in the phone preferances to turn 3g data off.

The Pre really shouldn't be offered on anything but an unlimited data plan. If Vodafone is actively offering this phone on pay-per-MB plans I think that's flat out criminal.

Feeling seriously sorry for this guy....
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    The Pre really shouldn't be offered on anything but an unlimited data plan. If Vodafone is actively offering this phone on pay-per-MB plans I think that's flat out criminal.

Feeling seriously sorry for this guy....
    I really must be missing something here, have you all got any idea how many PAYG contract there are out there? Does that mean Palm has renounced selling their phones to them?!?
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    I really must be missing something here, have you all got any idea how many PAYG contract there are out there? Does that mean Palm has renounced selling their phones to them?!?
    Palm sells these phones to carriers, not end users. I agree with the thought that carriers should probably not offer the Pre to anyone without unlimited data.
  19.    #19  
    I think either you are living on a very different planet from mine or are just not aquainted with current practices...
    Mobile carriers know it's pretty common for this to happen, especially with Nokia devices, they probably take good advantage of it too, once you notice it you just set your phone NOT to receive data automatically and that's it, when you need updates you carry on manually. If this can't be done with the current version of my Pre is another matter entirely...
    I think either you are living on a very different planet from mine or are just not aquainted with current practices...
    Mobile carriers know it's pretty common for this to happen, especially with Nokia devices, they probably take good advantage of it too, once you notice it you just set your phone NOT to receive data automatically and that's it, when you need updates you carry on manually. If this can't be done with the current version of my Pre is another matter entirely...
    Here in the States, the major carriers require you to have an unlimited Data plan if you want to buy a smartphone. That way they avoid situations like the one you are dealing with. Sorry that you are going through this...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast