Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Don't know why you can't have an Everything Data Plan and PayG method to pay.....?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyq9c View Post
    Here in the States, the major carriers require you to have an unlimited Data plan if you want to buy a smartphone. That way they avoid situations like the one you are dealing with. Sorry that you are going through this...
    Hey mate, thank you for your understanding.
    The States roughly make up for 350m people and if I'm not mistaken Europe has no less, what strikes me as odd is that with these numbers they will renounce to the PAYG market overhere... I've never heard of carriers advising on unlimited data plans on purchasing smartphones, let alone requiring!!! Germany is already selling unlocked sim-free Pre phones and many of those will end up with a PAYG contract, believe you me!
    My mobile carrier is Vodafone Italy (just to say that I don't live in some underdeveloped Country, although that's debatable...), it's certainly a MAJOR carrier and they frankly told me this is quite common, Nokia mobile owners just set the device NOT TO RECEIVE unwanted data, what will Palm mobile owners do? Is there a ROM that I can install which will give me that choice of not receiving the data?
    Me from lovely Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    Nokia mobile owners just set the device NOT TO RECEIVE unwanted data, what will Palm mobile owners do? Is there a ROM that I can install which will give me that choice of not receiving the data?
    Me from lovely Italy
    Palm Official Feedback & Feature Request
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    I remember that when the Pre was first sold here in the US, there were many discussions about people wanting to get the phone without the unlimited data plan. It was impossible. The Pre is initially only offered by Sprint, and they still have the exclusive US market. The cost of the data portioned is factored into the cost of the plan. The only thing that separates the plans are the number of mintues that you can talk on the phone. The most inexpensive Pre plan is $69.99/month, with gives a person 450 minutes of talk, and unlimited everything else (data, text, internet, etc).

The States roughly make up for 350m people and if I'm not mistaken Europe has no less, what strikes me as odd is that with these numbers they will renounce to the PAYG market overhere... I've never heard of carriers advising on unlimited data plans on purchasing smartphones, let alone requiring!!! Germany is already selling unlocked sim-free Pre phones and many of those will end up with a PAYG contract, believe you me!
    My mobile carrier is Vodafone Italy (just to say that I don't live in some underdeveloped Country, although that's debatable...), it's certainly a MAJOR carrier and they frankly told me this is quite common, Nokia mobile owners just set the device NOT TO RECEIVE unwanted data, what will Palm mobile owners do? Is there a ROM that I can install which will give me that choice of not receiving the data?
    Me from lovely Italy
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I just called Vodafone and they told me that between yeasterday and today there are charges of 30 euros for GPRS connection on my pay-as-you-go simcard, what the hell is that! They are crediting me back 10 euros as a goodwill gesture but I will have to block this automatic connection to GPRS on the Pre How am I gonna do that?
    I'm not using the d^mn bugger until i've sorted this out grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    I think I've got the point
    Maybe like me you're from Italy and you have a vodafone rechargeable SIM
    The normal one, for private user, the same one as me.
    That means that you have to recharge credit by yourself using for examples ATM (a.k.a. bancomat in Italy) or your home bank account via pc. If that is so, you also have gprs navigation enabled as service. same as me. That is why you were capable (if I didn't get wrong) to complete the activation of the Pre and too to receive the notification of the system update. And that costed you 30 euros because gprs for private users, except under different specification or a contract (business or private contract) is still charged based on the amount of data exchange.
    The solution is what I'll do as soon my Pre will arrive from Germany.
    I'll do the activation via gprs.
    then I'll activate this option for private users: is called Mobile Internet and does cost 3 per week for 500 Megabytes (not megabits!) of data. in 4 weeks we're talking about 12 and 2 Gb of data.
    You can do also the number portability and relate your number with one of the various contracts from vodafone, but you'll be: blocked with voda for 2 years. the contract costs you 10 euro per month (2 less than the one for private users), plus 5 per month of government concessions. that makes 15 per month (BTW I'm still not sure if the 5 of government concessions are a fee or just a starting payment, I'll keep you infromed as soon as possible)
    you can check your services and option for navigation here WWW vodafone it
    you'll need a free registration
    then you can check under the voice SERVIZI E PROMOZIONI --> MOBILE INTERNET (is on page 2) --> Dettagli ---> look down on the page
    Sorry for not posting any link but I can't
    I hope this helps!!!!!!!!!
    PS you were lucky with the recharge of 10 euros....never heard vodafone make a present like that!
  6.    #26  
    You a Vodafone rep or what? ;p

Your options confused me a bit, I'll sleep on it and have a look in due time.

Still think it would be A LOT easier if I could block the GPRS data altogether, since I pay wi-fi connection at home 24/7 and I have wi-fi at work too, don't you agree?

GRAZIE e CIAO!
    There should be a "Data Usage" switch in the Phone preferences that you can turn off. This will stop all cellular data usage and force the phone to only use WiFi.

There's also a homebrew app available to toggle data usage, so you don't have to go into the prefs each time.

If mobile data is so expensive, I suggest flipping off this switch and leaving it off unless you REALLY have to get online from somewhere with no WiFi.
    Again, no data usage switch until 1.2, which the GSM Pre does not have.
    Yeah, OP you've asked for a way to shut off data. IT IS AVAILABLE in 1.2.1 and will be in 1.3. If you need it right now, you will need to flash 1.2.1 with webos DR onto your pre. I cannot reccomend you do that, as it is an american verison and will most certainly effect your ability to use the device, however there are FAQ's and threads around here with instructions...or you could wait until NOV 15th ish and the estimated world wide 1.3 roll out....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Please take a look at this tread Data charges in Wifi Zone - Talk2O2
    come check out my site @ http:www.willdeasy.com
    The States roughly make up for 350m people and if I'm not mistaken Europe has no less, what strikes me as odd is that with these numbers they will renounce to the PAYG market overhere... I've never heard of carriers advising on unlimited data plans on purchasing smartphones, let alone requiring!!!
    You can't really compare the US to Europe as our carriers use different cellular technologies that restricts an individual phone from being used on different networks (some by choice, some due to incompatibility). For that reason, the PAYG market over here is much smaller as carriers choose to subsidize the price of high cost phones (smartphones and advanced multimedia phones) to lure users into contracts which allows the carrier to either make the subsidy back through the cost of a plan, or to recoup some of the cost by charging for breaking contracts. Smartphones and the like aren't available PAYG over here, but if they were the phones would probably cost $700 to $1000 out of the box.

That said, it seems someone dropped the ball in allowing a phone available for PAYG in Europe to not have the latest firmware to address the issue of extraneous data charges. I don't know what recourse you have over there, but here, I would find someone (carrier, manufacturer, retailer) to rectify the issue of having to pay to have a phone with up to date software by no fault of your own.
    You a Vodafone rep or what? ;p

Your options confused me a bit, I'll sleep on it and have a look in due time.

Still think it would be A LOT easier if I could block the GPRS data altogether, since I pay wi-fi connection at home 24/7 and I have wi-fi at work too, don't you agree?

GRAZIE e CIAO!
    No mate, I'm no voda rep... just a private italian user waiting for the german unlocked pre and using vodafone as carrier
    I was just trying to help, beacause I'm in your same exact situation!
    I would be a lot easier if I could post some link to the page. but my insufficiet post number is not letting me do it!
    If you need any further details you can Pm me!
    A presto!
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by center15 View Post
    Please take a look at this tread Data charges in Wifi Zone - Talk2O2
    Very interesting link, thanks. Just goes to show that many of us European cheap *******s are on pay-as-you-go contracts...
    What I've done for now is call Vodafone and stop ANY GPRS on my mobile, when, and if, a better OS version of Palm will come out (hopefully sooner than later, 15th November would be great) I will be able to set that myself. Ta-ra
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I expressed myself poorly but then English is not my 1st language, HOW DO YOU MAKE SURE THAT YOU'RE BROWSING THE NET THROUGH WI-FI AND NOT USING UP YOUR HARD-EARNED CREDIT MONEY? This was my first question.
    The second curiosity is how updates work. I updated my Palm software to 1.13 (why not 1.2?!?) and then Vodafone told me my credit was finished, did they update the software somehow through your mobile carrier? duh?
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge and confusing ways of expression
    Put the phone in Airplane mode. I believe this still allows for WI-FI but turns off the radio. I believe that will force it to update by WI-FI. (I haven't tested this).

Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasado View Post
    Don't know why you can't have an Everything Data Plan and PayG method to pay.....?
    Because nothing everything resolves around America?
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by dacsoft View Post
    Put the phone in Airplane mode. I believe this still allows for WI-FI but turns off the radio. I believe that will force it to update by WI-FI. (I haven't tested this).

Good luck
    Putting the phone to Airplane mode will not allow me to make/take calls, which in my opinion is the whole point of having the phone in the 1st place

MY ADVICE TO MY FELLOW EUROPEAN USERS IS (and I want to be thanked for this ):
    JUST CALL YOUR MOBILE CARRIER AND TELL THEM TO STICK THE GPRS WHERE THE SUN DOESN'T SHINE, AND THEY WILL, FIGURATIVELY I HOPE...

That's what I did and I'm as happy as Larry now, I can get updates and surf 24/7 at home and in my office via wi-fi. Drawbacks are minimal. When a better OS version will be widely available I'll change tactic
    hi there....my name is dog....ahem no. sorry. just yesterday I saw UP in original language....
    With gprs enabled the apn is web dot omnitel dot it and this apn is charged, except in the case you have a contract or a business plan. btw this is gprs data.
    For UMTS data the access point has to be wap dot omnitel dot it. then with 12 euros (private rechargeable) per month or 10 per month (2 years contract) you can have til 2gb traffic volume.
    Except for the speed the substance doesn't change. data is on. but at a cost.
    That's valid only for Italy Vodafone sim cards without contract though.
    I wanted to test by myself, and when the pre was on my money on the sim were sucked out. about 15 euros. I knew that and was not a problem.
    Now we have to wait until we can edit the apn or, if i'm not wrong and i have understand well, we can work it out with web os doctor and some other tools.
    At least now I know well how the pre works and what to change when I'll have the possibility
    Cheers mate
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Again, no data usage switch until 1.2, which the GSM Pre does not have.
    I JUST NOTICED THAT THERE IS A DATA SWITCH IN THE "QUICK SYSTEM TASKS" APPLICATION! Will it solve my problem?
    Just turn your phone on to Airplane Mode. Tap the battery icon then tap Airplane mode. Yes that will turn off your data if you hit that Data switch in the "QUICK SYSTEM TASKS" APPLICATION.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenlkl@yahoo.com View Post
    Just turn your phone on to Airplane Mode. Tap the battery icon then tap Airplane mode. Yes that will turn off your data if you hit that Data switch in the "QUICK SYSTEM TASKS" APPLICATION.
    While putting the phone on Airplane mode will make my phone useless (can't take or make calls), I'm hoping I can get that all important data switch which is not present in the OS version 1.1.3 to allow me to use my phone without having 3G in the way.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12