Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Maybe I'm the loner, but my pre is incapable of doing this. I thought it was supposed to be able to do this? I surfed the forum and others said it can. Once I call someone my wifi stops working (trying to load a webpage), but a few seconds after I hang up the phone it will load the webpage. Very repeatable, and I am unable to do anything data related while on the phone. My wifi connection is fine, I'm able to use it right now while not talking on the phone.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong or why this doesn't work? And please, before you throw me to the lions and tell me to "search", I did and everyone says you can surf via wifi while talking....I just can't do it.

Thanks for any help. I do have 1.2.1 installed and I have rebooted several times. I also noticed that when making a phone call and not on wifi, the EV icon up top disappears while on the phone. I'm guessing that's normal?
    hmm...you are connected on wifi right?? Try turning off the Data usage in phone preferences, so that the PRE can only use wifi for Data. Then when you are on a call, and reloading data it will be forced to use Wifi and not look for EV.

Thats bout the only suggestion I got.....Ive never had a problem being on a call and using Wifi.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    No problems doing it here. Is you phone modded at all?
    FYI: My Pre is as plain vanilla as the day it came out of the box...
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Works perfectly for me and has always worked since 1.0.

The last statement about the EV icon disappearing is normal...

Make sure your wifi is connected.
  5.    #5  
    Very odd, and very disappointing. I am surfing wifi, I know it works. No issues. I did try disabling data, but that kills wifi usage also. I then turned it back on and started surfing wifi, no issues. I made a call and then cannot load a webpage. If I let it go long enough I get the same error as when I disable data: "unable to resolve host". I hang up the phone and try loading the page again, and the page loads with no issues. Could my Pre be defective?

I know this sounds exactly like what would happen if wifi were off, but trust me, the icon is there and full bars connected to my wireless at home.

edlex, no hacks, it's stock.
    Last edited by JMontes; 10/27/2009 at 12:46 PM.
    Disabling the Data in no way kills the Wifi....two seperate radios. Are you sure you are connected to your Wifi???

You can always be on Wifi(once connected) even if the Data is disabled.
    That's an odd problem. I was able to talk and surf at the same time with the phone right out of the box. I've applied lots of homebrew patches and can still talk/surf.

I can't think of anything that would be amiss with an unmodded phone. Have you tried reproduce the problem on a different wireless network?
    I do it all the time and my Pre is tweaked all across the board!!! You should make sure that your wifi isn't asking for a password or some type of sign in. Go to Espn.com or something like that and it should redirect you to a sign-in if it is required.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  9.    #9  
    Well, I have been playing a bit. I lost my cell reception and was unable to surf. Even though I show a full strength signal on my wifi, it appears I am indeed using EVDO. Is it possible for that to work while the wifi is enabled? Doesn't make sense. I ran a test and got an error code 25 which says wifi connection issue, but ran it again and it passed. I'm going to try on another wifi network. Time to go find a starbucks.
    What might be going on is that you are connected using wifi, but not getting any internet through it, so you're still getting your internet through 3g. That might be why you lose internet while talking on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMontes View Post
    Well, I have been playing a bit. I lost my cell reception and was unable to surf. Even though I show a full strength signal on my wifi, it appears I am indeed using EVDO. Is it possible for that to work while the wifi is enabled? Doesn't make sense. I ran a test and got an error code 25 which says wifi connection issue, but ran it again and it passed. I'm going to try on another wifi network. Time to go find a starbucks.
    If your wifi is showing up but you're still seeing the EVDO, you're not getting your wifi connection for some reason or another. When you're connected to wifi and you're getting data across (in / out) the EVDO icon will not appear anymore.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by spot3981 View Post
    What might be going on is that you are connected using wifi, but not getting any internet through it, so you're still getting your internet through 3g. That might be why you lose internet while talking on the phone.
    Good call. If this is the case, it might seem like he's surfing via wi-fi when he's actually connected through EVDO.
    yea hes not connected. Check your wifi password.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by eightdrunkengods View Post
    Good call. If this is the case, it might seem like he's surfing via wi-fi when he's actually connected through EVDO.
    This is what's going on. no EV icon, only full bars wifi icon. However, I just verified my phone is working. I found an unsecured wireless in my neighborhood and was able to call voicemail and surf the web. I'm not sure why i'm not getting any error from my phone stating i'm not getting connection through my wifi. I get the checkmark next to my wireless saying i'm connected and good to go.

EDIT - I just reconnected to my home wireless and had to re-enter all info (26 bit WEP key). Now it's working as it should.

Am I going to have to put this in each time I leave and come back? that kinda sucks
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    No. It will store all keys and networks. if WIFI is on when you come in range of one of those networks it will automatically connect.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar83 View Post
    No. It will store all keys and networks. if WIFI is on when you come in range of one of those networks it will automatically connect.
    You don't have to turn off WiFi when you leave your house for it to start using EVDO?

I've always been in the habit of turning off WiFi as soon as I get in my car...

...if you don't need to turn it off when you leave your WiFi's range, I'm guessing that keeping WiFi on will soak up your battery life pretty quickly?
    Quote Originally Posted by JMontes View Post
    EDIT - I just reconnected to my home wireless and had to re-enter all info (26 bit WEP key). Now it's working as it should.

Am I going to have to put this in each time I leave and come back? that kinda sucks
    I've seen this before. Something happens where the device can connect to the router, but it doesn't receive all the information from the router to establish communication.

If this happens, say, on a Windows computer, you'll get that message that says something like, "This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources." Unfortunately the Pre has no such notification, so it will just appear that you're connected normally, but you won't be able to load any pages.

Sometimes it fixes itself, other times I have to manually reboot the router. I dunno, the router could be restarting itself the times it seems to start working with no changes. Nonetheless, the issue is a hiccup of some sort, I don't think there's anything wrong with your Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    You don't have to turn off WiFi when you leave your house for it to start using EVDO?

I've always been in the habit of turning off WiFi as soon as I get in my car...

...if you don't need to turn it off when you leave your WiFi's range, I'm guessing that keeping WiFi on will soak up your battery life pretty quickly?
    If it loses the WiFi signal, the phone will automatically switch back to EvDO.

I'm sure leaving WiFi on with no signal uses some power, but I've never really noticed any excessive battery drain that warrants turning it off and on.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    If it loses the WiFi signal, the phone will automatically switch back to EvDO.

I'm sure leaving WiFi on with no signal uses some power, but I've never really noticed any excessive battery drain that warrants turning it off and on.
    That's awesome! Why on earth would anybody ever turn it off then?
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    That's awesome! Why on earth would anybody ever turn it off then?
    As I said, it still uses power when the phone is awake to search for WiFi spots.

So if you're in a situation where the screen will be active, say using navigation, it's probably best to just turn the WiFi off. Even if it's only a few percent against a full charge, that's still 2 or 3 short phone calls.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast