Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    A few clarifications:
    1. WiFi connection is not equal Internet connection: if you successfully connect to WiFi router, but the network tied to the router has proxy or similar feature enabled, you will be connected to WiFi, but not to the internet via this WiFi.
    2. Pre remembers WiFi connections by name. If you were unwise enough to keep default name of connection while configuring your home WiFi router (typical example 'linksys'), then when you connect to another, public connection with the same name, Pre will forget the home connection settings and remember the settings for the public one.
    (it actually looks like a bug in Pre software: it should identify WiFi connection by both name and MAC address of the router, but my tests show that it only uses name).

You have to know admin of the network to solve problem #1: he can allow selected devices to bypass proxy or similar security features, but may or may not be permitted to do so due to network owner policies.

Solution to problem #2: be creative while naming your own network, and NEVER use default settings.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaroslawk View Post
    ...Pre will forget the home connection settings and remember the settings for the public one.
    (it actually looks like a bug in Pre software: it should identify WiFi connection by both name and MAC address of the router, but my tests show that it only uses name).
    A bug? This is exactly how Windows works - everything is by the name: if friend A left the default SSID of "linksys" and I set up the WEP key to connect to it, fine. If friend B left the SSID as "linksys" also, Windows is going to try to use the other WEP key. If I then change the WEP key to properly connect to friend B's router, I will have the same problem when I return to friend A's house.

I'm gonna say that this is less a "bug" and more "Palm is a small company and didn't want to waste time reinventing the wheel that everybody has already adopted."

I completely agree that you should change your SSID and encryption settings as soon as your router is unboxed.
    are you using mac filtering on your router
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12