1.    #1  
    I noticed my Pre seems to restart by itself, not sure if it's a complete reboot, doesn't seem like it, I think it's a Luna restart because it's back on much quicker than a reboot which takes longer.

I 1st noticed it when I had set "Timepiece app" alarm and in the morning woke up late, when I look the app had been closed which i leave running, then while the phone at my desk I have seen it do the Luna restart by itself, and just now it did it again.

Wondering if anyone has this happen, if anyone knows why....and how can it be fixed.
    "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"
    Quote Originally Posted by jtorres View Post
    I noticed my Pre seems to restart by itself, not sure if it's a complete reboot, doesn't seem like it, I think it's a Luna restart because it's back on much quicker than a reboot which takes longer.

I 1st noticed it when I had set "Timepiece app" alarm and in the morning woke up late, when I look the app had been closed which i leave running, then while the phone at my desk I have seen it do the Luna restart by itself, and just now it did it again.

Wondering if anyone has this happen, if anyone knows why....and how can it be fixed.
    I'd wait and see what others have to say, but my suggestion -- again, others have said their thoughts! -- would be to run the webOS Doctor and let it just reset everything back to factory.

It could also be a hardware problem, which would be covered under warranty.

Did it start doing it after you did anything in particular? Installed a certain app, etc.?

/Kevin
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I had this happen to me last week. Luna would restart randomly, but mainly right after opening any app. Then I ran the Updates app, and of course, it said there was a new update available 1.2.1 (which I had already installed twice before)
    So my conclusion was that the phone got corrupted somehow, and that's why it wanted to re-download 1.2.1 (read a post by chuq about this) and all this was also the reason for luna restarts I think.
    Solution: webOS doctor.

btw fwiw I also had that timepiece app installed but rarely used it...
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Mine just did it and I don't know why? It was sitting on my Touchstone and rebooted.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    I'd wait and see what others have to say, but my suggestion -- again, others have said their thoughts! -- would be to run the webOS Doctor and let it just reset everything back to factory.

It could also be a hardware problem, which would be covered under warranty.

Did it start doing it after you did anything in particular? Installed a certain app, etc.?

/Kevin
    This phone i got after replacing my old one, it was an in store exchange so it's not a refurb or anything.

When I got home I 1st updated it to 1.2.1, then I rooted it as I needed to copy back in my file containing texts/call logs, then I did all my patches, all the apps I had before...and the phone has been fine, my texts are all there, call logs, and all appsd seem to be working fine, nothing out of the ordinary other than this random restart.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    My phone does a Luna restart occasionally. I'm sure something is corrupted (I've got dozens of patches), but it happens so infrequently right now that I'm not willing to do anything about it. If (when) the Luna restarts become more disruptive, I'll address it. The last patch I installed before the Luna restarts began was the repaired "browser history swipe" patch; I doubt it's the culprit. By the way, I don't have Timepiece app; that's not the culprit either.
  7.    #7  
    It is quite infrequent, not disruptive, other than the other morning when it restarted and my alarm didn't go off. I guess unless "there's a patch for that" I too will leaveit alone...I don't want to Dr and go thru everythin all over again.
    It might be a good idea to post this information under the appropriate app thread. If its a homebrew app, it might be a combination of the app and/or patches. Starting a separate thread for what is likely homebrew related under the general Pre forum will just get non-tweakers confused into thinking that this is happening due to a bug in the WebOS.
  9. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Mine does it every once in a while too. Just while I am sitting in bed reading, it is next to me and I see it do it. No rhyme or reason.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    It might be a good idea to post this information under the appropriate app thread. If its a homebrew app, it might be a combination of the app and/or patches. Starting a separate thread for what is likely homebrew related under the general Pre forum will just get non-tweakers confused into thinking that this is happening due to a bug in the WebOS.
    It was posted as a thread to itself as there is no idea if it is in fact ap related, it could be the Pre, if this gets the attention of a coder or someone more familiar with it they may me able to identify the problem.
    Luna started rebooting on me a few days ago as well. I have homebrew apps and patches installed. I still have the issues with having to update to 1.2.1 over and over again, too. Also the Palm backups are still not working.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    mine has done this only once.. hmm
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I actually had this issue, but I found that the culprit for me was one of my batteries - when I had the battery that came with this (my third) Pre, it worked fine. However, when I had one of my spares (which came from my original Pre that broke and had to be replaced, but Asurion didn't want the battery) in the phone, I started seeing weird Luna reboots and other odd behavior. As soon as I popped the other battery back in, the behavior went away. Now, this might only be affecting me, but if you have any spare batteries, you might try swapping batteries to see if things change. (If you don't have spares, try taking the battery out and running only on AC power while you're at home, and see if the instability continues.)

(And no, it's not because of the loose battery issue - the reason I replaced the second Pre I got was actually because of that issue, and I've made sure not to use that battery as a spare, because it will cause that issue in my current Pre. It also manifests itself differently than the loose battery issue, so I'm positive it's not related.)
    I've had this issue pretty much since a few days after I've owned this phone, about a month. I've run the doctor and I've gotten a new battery. I tried running a completely pristine WebOS, not touched at all, not rooted, no dev mode, and it didn't make a difference.

After the first time I ran the doctor, which reloaded WebOS 1.2.1, I did get a message some days later saying that an update to 1.2.1 was installed. The reinstall did not fix the random crashing.

I know that it is Luna and not the phone, at least some times, because it has crashed while I am on a phone call and the call is not disrupted. The issue is quite disruptive, happening about 5 times a day.

Nothing seems to fix it, and I am loathe to get a new phone but at this point that's about the only thing I can do.