Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have had the pre for about a month now and have been dealing with some seriouse navigator malfunction about 60% of the time. The app constantly fails to provide navigation, sighting "can't find your GPS location."
    I've read through a few threads and have found that I'm not the only one having this exact same problem.
    I'd like to get to the bottom of this issue because when the navigator does work, it works great.

Here's what I've found:
    -The problem is not caused by not haveing a clear view of the sky.
    -The GPS functions properly in all other apps, including google maps.
    -This happens regardless of signal strength.
    -Restarting the app or the phone has no effect.
    -Auto locate is not the cause of the problem
    -And most peplexing is that when I search within the navigator it clearly knows my GPS location because the search results are always accurate distances from my location.

If you are having the same problem, have any ideas on what the problem might be or wish to add any additional findings please reply to this thread.
    I will mention I have the same issue, but restarting the phone has fixed my problem every time
    Last edited by scott091981; 10/27/2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I have this issues as well, but restarting almost always fixes the connection problem. I've had to restart my phone twice in a row on occasion to get it to work though.
    I had issues yesterday. And restarting was a pain the *** while driving and needed directions right then and there.
    Yeah I have that problem too. Sometimes I would use Navi, exit out of it gracefully by stopping the trip and then using the backwards gesture until the app is minimized as a small card on the screen, then flick it off the screen, but then, if I want to used it maybe an hour later, it sometimes gives me the problem mentioned above. But yes, in my case, a reboot fixes it. I still find it annoying as hell, especially since the Pre takes a while to reboot.
  6.    #6  
    To clarify, a reboot does fix the problem, but not always. That leads me to believe that it's not entirely related to the reboot. I have also had it come back to life without a reboot on occasion.
    ME TOO!!! its a pain when you are not sure where you are going! Please fix this sprint!
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdcamjc View Post
    ME TOO!!! its a pain when you are not sure where you are going! Please fix this sprint!
    Its definitely a software issue. Had the same problem on my old Sprint Touch.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scott091981 View Post
    I will mention I have the same issue, but restarting the phone had fixed my problem every time
    +1, and I'm having to do it more often since last update.
    Same problem here. The GPS will be working fine, but Nav wont work probably 3 out of 4 times.
    +1

Usually closing it and reopening it after a few minutes works for me. I've tried reopening it immediately but that never seems to do the trick.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Not sure this fixes the problem but since I started leaving gps on all the time and have used navi 3-4 times since, I've not had this connection problem with navi.

But it does drain some more battery to leave gps on. :/
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I run into this problem all the time, but I've never had it not work directly after a reboot...
    When it isn't working, minimize your app, go to the phone dialer, then put in ##GPS#. Hit Get Fix.

Your Navigator will now work again for that session.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracostian View Post
    When it isn't working, minimize your app, go to the phone dialer, then put in ##GPS#. Hit Get Fix.

Your Navigator will now work again for that session.
    This usually works for me, but if it doesn't the you have to reboot. Slide out the keyboard and press the Orange, Sym and R keys at the same time.
    I use the navigation a lot and I've posted this a few times in other threads already. The fix that has worked for me every time so far is to run the quick interactive test on the GPS. This causes the chip to turn on and function, similar to rebooting the phone (but obviously much quicker).

As far as I can tell, Telenav is not the problem, but the GPS chip itself. Also, I've never had it work in one program and not the other. Once I've verified the fix is accurate, it functions in every program that uses it. Usually when I get a hit in one and not the other, it's the cell tower location that's being used as the fix and not the satellite. Also it will remember the last location it fixed on which can throw off some into believing it's working.

In Sprint Nav, before I create a route, I go to Map & Traffic to verify it's fixed on my location (usually takes about 5-10 seconds). If I can't get a fix I'll change location if necessary. If I still can't get a fix I know the chip is not responding. At this point I either swipe back to the main screen and try Map & Traffic again or run the interactive test on the GPS chip. The test has ALWAYS worked for me so far which is great because, in the beginning, I too was frustrated with it. Now I'm pretty happy.

To get to the tests: Device Info > More Info > Preferences > Interactive Tests > Global Positioning Services
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Driving to Dobbs Ferry NY, I drove to CT because the stupid thing froze!!!!!
    Then it's so unreliable that i never leave home without my Garmin Nuvi 350.

Its a damn shame too because i love the Pandora, Accuradio integration and It works great when it works especially with traffic, sadly it's hit and miss. Ill never truly rely on it again.
    Hello All,

I've also faced issues with the Sprint Navigation.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    The fix that has worked for me every time so far is to run the quick interactive test on the GPS. This causes the chip to turn on and function, similar to rebooting the phone (but obviously much quicker).

To get to the tests: Device Info > More Info > Preferences > Interactive Tests > Global Positioning Services
    Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try it next time I have the problem, but to be honest it doesn't make me feel any better that there might be a problem with the GPS chip implementation. Considering that not everyone is experiencing this problem it makes me feel like I have a defective phone.
    I used to have this problem and believe it may be related to how you close the navigation program. When I exit the program by first stopping the trip (done by tapping on car icon on the screen) and then closing the app, I have no issues getting the app to work or to locate the GPS signal the next time I use it. If I exit without stopping the trip, there's a 50/50 chance of the GPS locating a signal later on. Give this a try and see if it helps out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast