Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently found out why; after asking everyone who is someone on this site.
    The problem I had with my Pre, is that when pluged to my computer via the USB, it would not show up under my computer, nor would it load in my Itunes.
    I sent my Pre back a total of three times in an attempt to overcome this issue. I came to this forum,and posted questions about how to fix it, or if anyone knew why this was happening, and all I got was a bunch of "smart" people telling me to uninstall this, that, and the other. To no avail, none of you could help. The people that I am most dissapointed are the ones who manage this site, and portray an individual who knows what they are talking about, they never even responded!!!

Here goes, the problem; why this is happening is because the Pre has to have/use a 2.0 USB port, anything less will only upset the user. All of these tech savvy people, yet none of them even thought to mention this at all

So this is me saying thanks for all of your help.
    Good to know. Sorry if others on the site have rubbed you the wrong way. I've had the same experience, unfortunately, but I keep soldiering on. hehe There are definitely some friendly and helpful people on here, too.

Back on topic, it's good to know that the Pre requires USB 2.0 and won't work with 1.1. I've only hooked mine up to 2.0 ports, apparently.

/Kevin
    Nope, sorry incorrect. My work PC sitting right here is older than the hills and has no USB 2 ports. My Pre works fine with it but I first had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers a few times. It took me a little while to get it to work but I did. Sorry you are so disappointed.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Nope, sorry incorrect. My work PC sitting right here is older than the hills and has no USB 2 ports. My Pre works fine with it but I first had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers a few times. It took me a little while to get it to work but I did. Sorry you are so disappointed.
    Well, so much for that theory.

/Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by DashD View Post
    The problem I had with my Pre, is that when pluged to my computer via the USB, it would not show up under my computer, nor would it load in my Itunes.
    I sent my Pre back a total of three times in an attempt to overcome this issue. I came to this forum,and posted questions about how to fix it, or if anyone knew why this was happening, and all I got was a bunch of "smart" people telling me to uninstall this, that, and the other. To no avail, none of you could help. The people that I am most dissapointed are the ones who manage this site, and portray an individual who knows what they are talking about, they never even responded!!!

Here goes, the problem; why this is happening is because the Pre has to have/use a 2.0 USB port, anything less will only upset the user. All of these tech savvy people, yet none of them even thought to mention this at all

I like how you took the high road and just posted the solution to help others without whining and complaining. I also think it was nice blasting the people who spend an awful lot of time and energy managing this site. You have every right to be disappointed that they didn't drive to your house and fix your Pre for you. They should have known you were using a 10 year old computer without USB 2.0.
    Wow, not to let people here totally off the hook, but USB 2.0 is almost ten years old. Some very smart people forget how long PCs stay in use, but that doesn't mean they can't help out.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    I like how you took the high road and just posted the solution to help others without whining and complaining. I also think it was nice blasting the people who spend an awful lot of time and energy managing this site. You have every right to be disappointed that they didn't drive to your house and fix your Pre for you. They should have known you were using a 10 year old computer without USB 2.0.
    All valid points as well. I had actually missed the part where OP complained about the site admins themselves not responding. That's not their 'job'. I've seen some forums where the admins are active, but for the most part, running the site itself is enough of a job -- the forums are there for users to share information amongst themselves, the moderators are there to moderate, and the admins, well, administer the site... not provide tech support.

/Kevin
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    You know I usually take the side of the novice or the noob, here! I understand how it can be frustrating to want something really badly and have the motivation and patience to search, read, and ask the right questions.

However, .....

LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT!....

DashD, you are upset because ... while you have all of the information and variables unique to your situation [e.g. what OS you're running, what hardware (usb 1.1 or 2.0)].... you are unable to answer your own question and are disappointed because other people dont' have an answer for you?!?!

You sarcastically call them "smart"... so what does that make you if you were seeking solutions from them?
    Your mad because the FREE advice you recived on Pre Central didn't solove your problem!?!? You do understand that this site is not owned or operated by PALM right?

I award you no points...

----

I had some USB connectivity issues initially with my Pre (similar symptoms to you) and it turned out to be specific to a particular USB port (on the front of my computer)....I tested it and for some reason it has low voltage.

I sent my Pre back a total of three times in an attempt to overcome this issue. I came to this forum,and posted questions about how to fix it, or if anyone knew why this was happening, and all I got was a bunch of "smart" people telling me to uninstall this, that, and the other. To no avail, none of you could help. The people that I am most disappointing are the ones who manage this site, and portray an individual who knows what they are talking about, they never even responded!!!

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    OP,

One other thing to remember, is that this site is a PUBLIC community, meaning that the makeup of the members range from first-time users, to extremely tech-savvy geeks. Even those in the later category (I fit into this) may not think of, or remember every small detail concerning compatibility issues. (Technology changes everyday, no-one can remember it all.) So give yourself a pat on the back for alienating those who would normally help you, and removing a good chance of any positive responses to questions you may have in the future. Yay for you!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Funny you mentioned that... Id forgetten that the USB ports on the front of my PC weren't connected properly either!

Good thing, i didn't ask the site admins, or I would still be screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    You know I usually take the side of the novice or the noob, here! I understand how it can be frustrating to want something really badly and have the motivation and patience to search, read, and ask the right questions.

However, .....

LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT!....

DashD, you are upset because ... while you have all of the information and variables unique to your situation [e.g. what OS you're running, what hardware (usb 1.1 or 2.0)].... you are unable to answer your own question and are disappointed because other people dont' have an answer for you?!?!

You sarcastically call them "smart"... so what does that make you if you were asking them questions?
    Yeah, basically. I had skimmed the initial post (obviously) because I'm at work and read it very quickly. I stood up for the OP, but after re-reading his entire post, it's a lot harder to defend (even more so when it's apparently not even the proper solution, although that's a minor detail at this point).

Soooooo, in summary, I want a mulligan on my initial response, and I'm switching sides. OP definitely should have approached this in a different manner and needs to gain perspective on the purpose of these (and all) forums.

And to keep this on topic: It probably WAS the USB port, but as someone else suggested, it may be that particular USB port (undervoltage, etc.). Clearly after however many Pres (is that how we're plularising 'Pre'? looks odd) the OP went through, it's not the Pre.

/Kevin
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I have a feeling that Dashy is upset with one particular person .... a guess.... but my clue is his use of plural and singular in a single sentence. Sure (s)he could be someone for which english is not a first language, but I would like to think that (s)he was going to single that person out and thought better of it and used plural words in an attempt to be vague!

Well either that, or they're uneducated!

So, you came to a FREE forum, where everyone is a volunteer, and asked for help. Then you complain because they don't happen to be smarter about your device and your system than you?

No one here pretends to be an expert, we are all feeling our way along through personal experience. I likely would have never figured out the USB 2 because it's been about 3 years since I've had a computer that had the older USB port on it.

I suspect you won't have a problem in the future with folks not figuring out your problems. They're likely not to going to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    So, you're saying that the posted information that's being given out by the person complaining about folks not knowing, was in fact incorrect? Interesting, no?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Eye Ron Eee
    Just to reinterate, the Pre does work with USB 1.1 ports. That's all that's on my daughter's PC and it works fine. Much slower of course to transfer files, but it works.
    This guy is a joke. How about you really figure out the issue then come complain about noone helping...seriously if you must lambast an entire forum for not coming to your rescue over an issue that is isolated to some, please do so somewhere else.....BTW USB 1.1 works fine....slow but fine for me.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 10/27/2009 at 09:26 AM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    My best guess is that the OP came here and used the same charm and humility that was so clearly evident in the opening post. (SARCASM)

I know that my response to someone with this kind of an attitude is to ignore them on the forum and have a good laugh about them IRL. Makes me wonder how old the OP is - I'm seeing more and more of this, "give me everything for free NOW" attitude in my students and it's quite disheartening.

To the OP: enjoy a life filled with this kind of frustration, because the "smart" people will quickly learn to not help you.
    Wow... the balls of some people.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast