Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    I would also like to know what the word is on this. If the fee is dropped I'd love to have all my voicemail forwarded to my google voice number.

Secondly, how would I go about doing that? Forwarding my stuff to my google voice number? I'd rather read a guide or some content online that goes into detail with everything I could do.

Thanks!

This should answer part of your question:

Support - Article
    This is directly from a chat with a sprint chat rep this morning:

Starting 11/8/09, all Sprint price plans will include free conditional (no answer/busy) call forwarding (*73,*74,*28).
    Unconditional (immediate) call forwarding (*72) will remain $0.20/minute.
    Unconditional Call Forwarding (Immediate):
    Most common use of call forwarding.
    *72 If a caller dials my mobile phone, then immediately forwards the call to the alternate number.
    Conditional Call Forwarding (No Answer/Busy):
    *73 If a caller receives no answer when calling my mobile phone, then forwards the call to the alternate number.
    *74 If a caller receives a busy signal when calling my mobile phone, then forwards the call to the alternate number.
    *28 If a caller receives no answer or a busy signal when calling my mobile phone, then forwards the call to the alternate number.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Here's the chat... conditional call forwarding is now free according to Sprint chat representative "Juanita."

10:32:38 AM Customer Matt
    I had signed up for YouMail (3rd party visual voicemail) a while back. Today they sent me an email stating that I could now use their service for free. Meaning sprint wasn't charging $0.20 per minute for conditional call forwarding. Is this true?

10:33:11 AM Agent Juanita
    Please allow me a moment to research this information for you.

10:34:41 AM Agent Juanita
    Thank you for your patience Matthew. I am showing that you would not have been charged for conditional call forwarding.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    So here's the important question, has anyone tried this out today. Your bill should show the $0.20 charge all the kinks aren't fully worked out.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Wow, this youmail seems even better than the Google Voicemail offering. Is there any advantage to the google service or am I better off signing up for youmail?
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    This should answer part of your question:

Support - Article
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    This is directly from a chat with a sprint chat rep this morning:

Starting 11/8/09, all Sprint price plans will include free conditional (no answer/busy) call forwarding (*73,*74,*28).
    Unconditional (immediate) call forwarding (*72) will remain $0.20/minute.
    *72 If a caller dials my mobile phone, then immediately forwards the call to the alternate number.
    *73 If a caller receives no answer when calling my mobile phone, then forwards the call to the alternate number.
    *74 If a caller receives a busy signal when calling my mobile phone, then forwards the call to the alternate number.
    *28 If a caller receives no answer or a busy signal when calling my mobile phone, then forwards the call to the alternate number.
    Great info!

thanks!
    So I've set mine up this morning using the *28 code and enabling it in Google voice. So far seems to be working well.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want it to notify me via a text or email. I've thought about it and like the txt option for the fact that if I'm on a current call I wouldn't get an email until I was off the call since do voice/data simultaneously. So that makes me lean toward txt notification rather than email.
    Quote Originally Posted by mscemt View Post
    So here's the important question, has anyone tried this out today. Your bill should show the $0.20 charge all the kinks aren't fully worked out.
    Well if that's the case, since I have the chat transcript, when my bill comes out I'll just have them reverse any charges if they come up.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I have youmail set up on my phone, and has worked out well so far. I have received both a text message and an email letting me know that i missed a call. The customization is great.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    But with youmail, you don't get transcriptions unless you pay a fee, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by rmt5 View Post
    But with youmail, you don't get transcriptions unless you pay a fee, right?

yes, youmail - $ googlevoice - free
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    just activated the voicemail with google voice and i had an issue. when i get a call from a blocked number on my sprint phone number it does not go straight to my google voicemail. after ringing my sprint line, it then calls my google voice number and rings all the way through like a normal call. so it rings twice as long. let me know if anyone can re-create this and tell me if my settings are wrong?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    So, I've got this weird mental loop going on with Google Voice in which I will understand it completely, then learn a bit of new information, then feel like I am completely in the dark.

So, the benefit to being able to forward calls to my GV number is that if I were to get a call on my Pre and I didn't answer (or doubled tapped the power button to send it to subtle-ignore), rather than go to my sprint voicemail, the call would go to my google voicemail. Correct?

So then I could use GDial to check my voicemails and such? Or log in on the web and look at voicemail?

The difference between my google voice number and my sprint number being that with a call to my google voice number I can have many more options-call screening, individual greetings, caller blocking-which I would not have access too through the call forwarding.

So this feature is purely a better method of voicemail (which, in it's current iteration, I do not check) for the sprint service through google--none of those nifty features.

Is my understanding correct?

extra question:
    Also, I would love someone to explain to me how they do not get confused by who is calling which number. Let's say I give some people my sprint number and some people my GV number. Now, if any of these groups calls and it goes to voice mail, it's all fine because it's all in the same place. That is great.

But what if I actually take the call. On your Pre, how do you all personally differentiate between someone calling your google voice number (which would allow you to listen to the voice mail as they are leaving it with the option of cutting in and talking to them if you so chose) and your sprint number?

My concern is getting use to the GV method and then answering a sprint call with the intension of merely listening to the voicemail as they leave it and, instead, finding myself in a conversation with someone I might not want to speak to just yet.
    Stihl -

Yeah, you can benefit from google voice a couple of ways.

#1 you never ever have to give out your real number anymore. Just give out your google voice number. They call your google voice number you can set it up so it will ring your real/personal number.

#2 voicemail. It sucks waiting to go through all those options in your sprint voicemail. So, everyone is forwarding their voicemails from their sprint account to their google voice account. So if you were in a movie and a friend called you up. you wouldn't answer obviously. It would go to your google voicemail instead of your sprint voicemail. You get a icon letting you know that you got a new voicemail just like you did when your sprint voicemail got a new voicemail. So, the benefit of this is you don't have to go through settings. You can immediately click play and listen to it. Read a transcription, etc. etc. etc. Also no more waiting through voicemail after voicemail. You can pick and choose now. It's pretty brilliant.

I actually prefer this over regular voicemail.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Hmm, if that's the case, I wonder why Youmail's instructions say to use *71.

I decided to use Google Voice anyway (for now) but have a Youmail account as well.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    Stihl -

Yeah, you can benefit from google voice a couple of ways.

#1 you never ever have to give out your real number anymore. Just give out your google voice number. They call your google voice number you can set it up so it will ring your real/personal number.

#2 voicemail. It sucks waiting to go through all those options in your sprint voicemail. So, everyone is forwarding their voicemails from their sprint account to their google voice account. So if you were in a movie and a friend called you up. you wouldn't answer obviously. It would go to your google voicemail instead of your sprint voicemail. You get a icon letting you know that you got a new voicemail just like you did when your sprint voicemail got a new voicemail. So, the benefit of this is you don't have to go through settings. You can immediately click play and listen to it. Read a transcription, etc. etc. etc. Also no more waiting through voicemail after voicemail. You can pick and choose now. It's pretty brilliant.

I actually prefer this over regular voicemail.
    Yeah, this cleared a few things up. I guess my main confusion lies with gDial, as I haven't had the need to give my GV number out to everyone, only to certain business contacts.

I will be able to benefit immediately from having voice mails transcribed to text, as regular sprint voice mail access is cumbersome. That said, it would be nice to be able to use the gDial interface with my actual sprint phone number (making calls out).

Right now it seems like if I were at that movie and a friend tried to call me, they would get forwarded to my GV mail. I leave for a bit to get some popcorn and check my phone, seeing a text with a preview of what they had to say. Then I can open up gDial and actually listen to the voice mail in its entirety. But, being a friend and not a business contact, id have to now open the default phone app if I wanted to call them back (or I guess leave gdial, start typing their name in universal search, then give them a call through the default phone app so that the number they are used to--my sprint number--appears on their phone).

I love technology, and I love the potential that this setup provides, so while it seems like a lot of steps to complain about, understand that it's less along the lines of a child whining and more along the lines of general exasperation. Transcribed texts and the ability to open a program to listen to voice mail is a great stop-gap as we all wait for a native solution, but what strikes me as odd is the lack of total integration unless you buy into the google voice framework/ideology completely and totally, which I simply can't do yet (it honestly sounds fantastic, but until I see where it all goes, I'm not going to harass everyone I know to change my number just yet).

I am glad though that we are getting closer to a solid solution overall. I was pretty bummed at the lack of visual voice mail when I first got my Pre and would love for sprint and Google to team up, offering a way to save voice mails and texts with one elegant solution. As it stands now, if you are using GV and a Sprint phone, you effective have two phone numbers, two types of calling plans, two places where your voice mails go (or 1 if you forward), and two places where your texts go.

How bout a little more convergence?
    Yes, conditional call forwarding is FREE. 100% sure!

To all the people who are having "mind loops", you're really best off just logging into Google Voice and playing with the settings. If the conditional Sprint setting is to forward to GV after 5 or 6 rings or whatever... you'd want to configure GV to go straight to VM, otherwise it'll take about 12 rings for the caller to hear your VM. If *you* initiate the call, GV calls your cell phone and then you pick up... and then it calls the person you're trying to dial. There are all kindsa settings to look at in GV, but you've gotta actually look at them to understand them.

And BTW, if you think that GV will replace visual voicemail due to transcriptions... don't get your expectations up. If there is a homebrew app (p2, gdial, etc.) that actually displays your voicemails so that they can be heard, then that would be awesome. But I don't see how those apps could do that since GV uses Flash for playback of VMs.

I'd really like to know what are the differences between the current GV apps for WebOS. Anybody care to explain?
    Quote Originally Posted by edd247 View Post
    just activated the voicemail with google voice and i had an issue. when i get a call from a blocked number on my sprint phone number it does not go straight to my google voicemail. after ringing my sprint line, it then calls my google voice number and rings all the way through like a normal call. so it rings twice as long. let me know if anyone can re-create this and tell me if my settings are wrong?
    Hrmm, I just tested and you are right, blocked numbers dont go to voicemail, then just ring through again on the google voice numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    And BTW, if you think that GV will replace visual voicemail due to transcriptions... don't get your expectations up. If there is a homebrew app (p2, gdial, etc.) that actually displays your voicemails so that they can be heard, then that would be awesome. But I don't see how those apps could do that since GV uses Flash for playback of VMs.
    The mobile site just uses mp3s for playback, not flash. gDial Pro plays back your messages perfectly.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I called Sprint today and they said that they are not charging to forward the VM's. I went ahead and fowarded my VM's to my GV number so I can get visual VM's. I've been playing with it and it seems to work with all of the GV features. You need to use the Gdial pro app. though. I'll try it for a while and see how I like it, my wife decided to forward her VM's also, and she's using the Pre too.
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast