Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    No worky for me, when I try calling *28xxxxxxxxxx (GV number) it says "the number or code you have dialed is incorrect"
    I dont understand what the big draw is to using google voice voicemail?

The transcription is hit or miss, mostly miss- you lose one touch access to voicemail and when Sprint gets around to delivering visual voicemail for the pre you wont get to utilize that.

Is having voicemails emailed to you really worth it?

If the GV call control features were usable than it would be a completely different story but we are talking about pure voicemail only right?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post

The transcription is hit or miss, mostly miss- you lose one touch access to voicemail and when Sprint gets around to delivering visual voicemail for the pre you wont get to utilize that.

If the GV call control features were usable than it would be a completely different story but we are talking about pure voicemail only right?
    Exactly. I tried it out for a bit today, and I'm not really liking it. I just hope Palm is still working on actual visual voicemail, or even better, Sprint licenses google's voice service and just replaces their own voicemail system with google's.

That's if Sprint and Palm get around to delivering visual voicemail for the Pre.

And it's not like it's hard to switch back if they ever do deliver on that.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

I would like to be able to delte my voicemails without having to call in and delete them one by one pressing seven. Aside from the trascription you can also listen to voicemails.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    I can't speak for whether being on an employee plan is a problem or not, but I can tell you that it is not necessary to set this up by dialing *XX. Log into your Google Voice account, go to the list of phones on your account and click the link that says to activate Google Voice Mail for this phone. that's it, you're done. Call your phone, let it ring to voice mail, and you'll hear the pretty lady at Google say the subscriber is not available. Leave a voice mail and a few seconds later you'll get a transcript. Three of us here did it earlier this week, works like a charm.
    Actually, there -is- more to it than just clicking the link and telling google what carrier you have. Google Voice will then pop up a window giving you the *28yourphonenumber that you have to type into your phone in order for the conditional forwarding to actually work. Beyond that, the only thing GV does is then recognize that when it gets a call forwarded from that # it needs to go straight to voicemail instead of trying to ring your phone. If it didn't, you'd end up in a call loop where someone would never actually -get- to voicemail.

If you don't ever do the *28yournumber on your phone, the call will never get forwarded to GV, it'll just drop to your sprint voicemail.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Actually it's like visual voicemail and you'll be able to save the recording for as long as you'd like. You don't have to use the transcription service and you still have one touch access to voicemail (you set that up in the advanced settings for your mobile number in google voice).

And if the Pre ever gets VVM or if you go to a phone that has it you can always turn this service off.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by icecool988 View Post
    please explain what you mean.
    YouMail has a feature called "ditchmail." When you "ditch" someone, they cannot leave a message! YouMail also allows you to have specific greetings for each number. So, you can tell the person you want to get rid off to bug off while telling SallieMae (student loans) that while you're grateful for the loans for your degree, you don't have a job...so they'll just have to wait!

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    lol this is great. thanks
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    On a side note within the Google Voice app, is it just me or do we always have to resign in on the Pre everytime you want to view history etc?
    I'm pretty sure its reset everytime I do a Luna restart, which is sort of often with new patches coming in and updated ones etc...
    It also resets the setting of 'my mobile number' (Sprint #) so as I get more involved in using GV I wonder if that will affect how well things function..? (just got a GV# a few weeks ago and havnt used it much)
    Are these resets more or less just making it a pain having to relog in everytime, and/or will it not work properly when it doesn't know to use 'the phone you are using' setting??
    Hey,

So I'm thinking this may be a handy workaround for getting vmails on my Sprint number if I, say, go to London. At least I'll be able to log into GV and check my vmails via a good browser and the Web.

That leaves text messages that won't make it to me while I'm gone (meaning text message sent to my Sprint number, but vmail at least is better than nothing...).

But what if I don't mind my Sprint vmail and want to disable the forwarding when I get back? Anyone know how I'll do that?

Thanks!

EDIT: Found the answer to my question in the Sprint Support Article on enabling (and disabling) call forwarding that was posted earlier in the thread:
    http://support.sprint.com/support/ar...+forward+codes
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 11/02/2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Found answer to question...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Hey,

So I'm thinking this may be a handy workaround for getting vmails on my Sprint number if I, say, go to London. At least I'll be able to log into GV and check my vmails via a good browser and the Web.

That leaves text messages that won't make it to me while I'm gone (meaning text message sent to my Sprint number, but vmail at least is better than nothing...).

But what if I don't mind my Sprint vmail and want to disable the forwarding when I get back? Anyone know how I'll do that?

Thanks!

Google gives you instructions on how to deactivate it as well. Just go to their website to deactivate the same way you went there to activate it, and it'll tell you the keypress to enter into your phone.

For me, it's not the transcription, but the call screening, and one number to many that is appealing.

The transcription does have uses though. My wife asked me to check the back account (which is strange, she's normally the money person). I called, but she was in a sales meeting with her employees, and couldn't take my call (or listen to the message.). Five minutes later, she got an SMS that had the amounts, without me sending it. It was transcribed. I didn't even think to send her the SMS, just assumed that she was in a dead spot or left her phone behind.

She told me later that the message was munged pretty good, but that the $$ amounts were there, and though not "publish quality", the transcription was good enough to know the message without calling and listening.

No, it does quite a bit more than voicemail. It screens calls, (with a lot of control by the user), as well as forwarding the calls to multiple phones at the same time. That last one was exactly what I was looking for. I seriously never know which phone will be best accessible at a given time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    I would like to be able to delte my voicemails without having to call in and delete them one by one pressing seven. Aside from the trascription you can also listen to voicemails.
    It's Google - web based. Go to the web site, delete away.
    Quote Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
    YouMail has a feature called "ditchmail." When you "ditch" someone, they cannot leave a message! YouMail also allows you to have specific greetings for each number. So, you can tell the person you want to get rid off to bug off while telling SallieMae (student loans) that while you're grateful for the loans for your degree, you don't have a job...so they'll just have to wait!
    GoogleVoice has the same functionality. It's not called "ditchmail", just part of the normal screening process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    On a side note within the Google Voice app, is it just me or do we always have to resign in on the Pre everytime you want to view history etc?
    I'm pretty sure its reset everytime I do a Luna restart, which is sort of often with new patches coming in and updated ones etc...
    It also resets the setting of 'my mobile number' (Sprint #) so as I get more involved in using GV I wonder if that will affect how well things function..? (just got a GV# a few weeks ago and havnt used it much)
    Are these resets more or less just making it a pain having to relog in everytime, and/or will it not work properly when it doesn't know to use 'the phone you are using' setting??
    Which GoogleVoice app are you using?
    I called Sprint & talked with Tech Support. They no longer have the fav 5 thing. They had a pick 3 option but no longer available after the AnyMobile kicked in. That is the latest info that I got.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Which GoogleVoice app are you using?
    gDial Pro from Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    gDial Pro from Preware.
    There's something odd going on then, because I don't have that problem. Try clearing re-entering its saved credentials
    i tested it out and it worked.. but also was charged. .so i turned it off.. but so excited for the 8th.. visual voicemail (kinda) and not having to deal with the stupid sprint vm box..

WOOOOOT
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast