Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    bump
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    can you please elaborate?
    You turn on Google Voicemail by going to your Google Voice account and hitting the link to activate Google Voicemail on the desired phone. When a call rings to that phone if there is no answer it will conditionally forward to Google Voicemail, the condition being that the call was not answered.

The rep helped this user set up unconditional forwarding on his phone, meaning that all incoming calls are automatically routed to Google Voicemail without even attempting to ring the phone. IceCool is right, the rep did not understand the difference.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    You turn on Google Voicemail by going to your Google Voice account and hitting the link to activate Google Voicemail on the desired phone. When a call rings to that phone if there is no answer it will conditionally forward to Google Voicemail, the condition being that the call was not answered.

The rep helped this user set up unconditional forwarding on his phone, meaning that all incoming calls are automatically routed to Google Voicemail without even attempting to ring the phone. IceCool is right, the rep did not understand the difference.
    I am on an employee plan and am not allowed to call into tech. support without proper authorization. I would like to be able to set this up myself without having to call into tech support again but if need be can you futher explain what it is that I am trying to accomplish? (It sounds like I need to set up conditional forwarding...)

Thank you for replying this is frustrating as I don't normally have trouble with things of this nature but my hands are tied as far as resources that i am allowed to use.

Edit: I called back into Tech suport and they instructed me to set up call forwarding by *72(googlevoicenumber). Again when I call my cellphone number it immediately goes to googlevoicemail. When I call my google voice number it rings several times (without my actual phone ringing) and then goes to voicemail
    Last edited by MaxLOL; 10/30/2009 at 10:43 AM.
    I chatted with customer support this morning who confirmed that we'll be able to use Google Voice voicemail 11/08/2009. According to her, we can use the *73, *74, and *28 codes: Support - Article. If I get an email of the chat transcript, I'll post it later.
  5. a2k
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jateelover View Post
    ya you can use your own number but it sucks...you don't get any of the features really, just the voicemail. When sprint lifts this forwarding charge for sure, I'm just going to forward calls to my google voice number permanently, and then forward them back to my cell...that way i will be able to use all the features, and people can still call cell number...i think it should work...not sure though...

actually, anyone know if this will work? cause if you forward all calls to google voice, then google voice calls your number, would it just go back to google voice?
    ...don't do it, you'll be stuck in a loop!!!!

phone --> GV
    GV --> phone
    phone --> GV
    GV --> phone
    phone --> GV
    GV --> phone
    phone --> GV
    GV --> phone

It'll never end!

Here's my set up as of now....

I've taken the Sprint number I've had for over 12 years and had it ported to phone.com.

1. Sign up for GV and forward to my Sprint cell.

2. Signed up for the $4.88 Virtual number plan. (phone.com) My Phone.com Virtual Number forwards to GV. Requested to have my Sprint number ported to this service.

A few days later, I noticed my cell phone service was cut off, don't panic, all this means is your current cell number was successfully ported.

3. Call Sprint immediately and request to have a new number to resume your service.

4. Now go back to GV and update your forwarding to your new cell number.

All of this resulted in the continued use of my current number with ALL of the GV features. It's a work around which has worked very nicely for me and will do until GV allows incoming number porting. At which time, I will port my number from phone.com to GV and close the phone.com account.

*** Note 1: The $4.88 allow 250min/mo. of talk. However, it scales all the way up to unlimited not surpassing $18.00/mo.

*** Note 2: (VERY IMPORTANT) I contacted Sprint directly before having my number ported explaining what I was attempting to do. They were a bit hesitant at first, but I assured them I WAS NOT attempting to cancel my service. Make sure they document your records that they WILL NOT charge you a cancellation fee for porting your number. DO THIS, SO YOU WILL NOT BE CHARGE A $200.00 CANCELLATION FEE.

I'm happy!
    I am on an employee plan and am not allowed to call into tech. support without proper authorization. I would like to be able to set this up myself without having to call into tech support again but if need be can you futher explain what it is that I am trying to accomplish? (It sounds like I need to set up conditional forwarding...)

Thank you for replying this is frustrating as I don't normally have trouble with things of this nature but my hands are tied as far as resources that i am allowed to use.

Edit: I called back into Tech suport and they instructed me to set up call forwarding by *72(googlevoicenumber). Again when I call my cellphone number it immediately goes to googlevoicemail. When I call my google voice number it rings several times (without my actual phone ringing) and then goes to voicemail
    If you login to google voice and say to setup voicemail forwarding it instructs you to use
    *28 XXX XXX XXXX . Those X's being your google voice number. You do not need to call into tech support.

*72 sets up unconditional forwarding. This is not what you want. You want *28 that only forwards calls that you did not answer on your cell phone.

In mid november *28 will be free, *72 will still have a charge.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    If you login to google voice and say to setup voicemail forwarding it instructs you to use
    *28 XXX XXX XXXX . Those X's being your google voice number. You do not need to call into tech support.

*72 sets up unconditional forwarding. This is not what you want. You want *28 that only forwards calls that you did not answer on your cell phone.

In mid november *28 will be free, *72 will still have a charge.
    When I use *28(googlevoicenumber) it gives me an error message saying the feature code I have dialed is invalid
    When I use *28(googlevoicenumber) it gives me an error message saying the feature code I have dialed is invalid
    You aren't adding a 1 to your google voice number are you?

I did it this morning and had no problem. I doubt it's something that needs to be a rolling upgrade on accounts for it to work.
    same for me, also on an employee plan, which i assume is the problem.

but, yea, don't forward all calls to your google voice number or you'll get a nasty surprise when your next bill comes.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    You aren't adding a 1 to your google voice number are you?

I did it this morning and had no problem. I doubt it's something that needs to be a rolling upgrade on accounts for it to work.
    No. I am entering it as follows *28(217xxx-xxxx). Each and everytime I get "The feature code you have entered is invaled."

Quote Originally Posted by prdstm0nke View Post
    same for me, also on an employee plan, which i assume is the problem.

but, yea, don't forward all calls to your google voice number or you'll get a nasty surprise when your next bill comes.
    I guess we aren't allowed to forward calls?

*72 sets up unconditional call forwarding, for example if you want all your calls that would go to your cell to ring at your house, you would use the *72 code (this costs .20 cents per minute)

*28 sets up conditional call forwarding (the condition being you dont answer or it is busy) This is how to use GV to handle your VM.

Both cost .20 cents per minute (i thought i had gotten the conditional call forwarding for free but after reviewing my bill i had paid 40 dollars in .20 cent charges, when i called in to set up conditional CF the rep told me that it was free and the only type of call forwarding that costed 20 cents is uncondidional or immeadiate CF.

Because the rep had told me that it was free i had to escalate the call and they are submitting a case to get the charge refunded, in the meantime im going to have to use sprints crappy voicemail, until nov 8th.

The idea above with phone.com would be the only way for me to not have hundreds of people re-learn my sprint number and ill have to check into that, but i'm pretty sure that would mean losing my free mobile to mobile etc...
    icecool988. Once Sprint goes to free conditional call forwarding why would you need to port your number? With the phone.com solution you do lose your free incoming mobile calls and only get 250 minutes from them for $4.88. Once Google voice finally gets number porting then atleast you wouldn't be paying a 3rd party to forward your number to google voice.
  13. a2k
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    icecool988. Once Sprint goes to free conditional call forwarding why would you need to port your number? With the phone.com solution you do lose your free incoming mobile calls and only get 250 minutes from them for $4.88. Once Google voice finally gets number porting then atleast you wouldn't be paying a 3rd party to forward your number to google voice.
    The Sprint forwarding doesn't allow you to harness all of GV's power, blocking, multiple phone forwarding, filtering, etc... The phone.com solution provides all of this, but it's only temporary until GV allows number porting.
    Quote Originally Posted by a2k View Post
    The Sprint forwarding doesn't allow you to harness all of GV's power, blocking, multiple phone forwarding, filtering, etc... The phone.com solution provides all of this, but it's only temporary until GV allows number porting.
    True, and I'm definitely not trying to knock the phone.com solution. I am considering porting my line I'm about to cancel to that so I can keep the number but losing the unlimited mobile to mobile on incoming and the 250 minute limit is kind of a bummer.
    No. I am entering it as follows *28(217xxx-xxxx). Each and everytime I get "The feature code you have entered is invaled."

I guess we aren't allowed to forward calls?
    not sure. I've emailed employee care. waiting on a response.
    I can't speak for whether being on an employee plan is a problem or not, but I can tell you that it is not necessary to set this up by dialing *XX. Log into your Google Voice account, go to the list of phones on your account and click the link that says to activate Google Voice Mail for this phone. that's it, you're done. Call your phone, let it ring to voice mail, and you'll hear the pretty lady at Google say the subscriber is not available. Leave a voice mail and a few seconds later you'll get a transcript. Three of us here did it earlier this week, works like a charm.
    CheshireFrog,

Where is this option. When I got to my account and click on the link that says "Activate google voicemail for this phone" a prompt comes up says what's my provider then tells me to dial the *28 code.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prdstm0nke View Post
    not sure. I've emailed employee care. waiting on a response.
    please post the response you get from them thank you
    CheshireFrog,

Where is this option. When I got to my account and click on the link that says "Activate google voicemail for this phone" a prompt comes up says what's my provider then tells me to dial the *28 code.
    Who's your provider? I just did the same thing to my wife's cell phone, and when I click on the activate link and select Sprint it tells me to enter a 12 digit number as if I were dialing out, and when I do I get a recording that Google Voice Mail has been activated for this phone. Nowhere does it tell me to dial *28.
    Sprint is my provider.

"You now need to activate Google Voice on your Sprint mobile phone.
    Enter the following exactly as written, as if you are dialing someone:
    *28XXXXXXXXXX
    Press "Send" or "Call" on your phone to dial that number. If you are not getting any error message, you are done!
    Got an error? Learn more"

That's exactly what I'm given. It rings then just hangs up. It says as long as you don't get an error you're done. And it works.

Btw I did have to do the step you are talking about when I originally setup my phone on Google Voice, but it didn't setup up voicemail forwarding on Sprint's end.
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast