Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 LastLast
    Does any one experience this?

If my phone rings and I let it ring thru to VM or SILENCE it, the call goes to GV like it is supposed to.

However, if I IGNORE the call, then the caller gets an error message. Anyone?

Also, callers do not hear my VM Greeting, instead they only hear my recorded name, not I care, but I don't think I had it set that way..

EDIT: I just tested the ignore feature again, and it is now working. Perhaps because it did not work bc it was within minutes if setting it up.
    Last edited by t0ph; 11/10/2009 at 04:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldpantoja View Post
    I get a German recording and then it just hangs up on its own.

EDIT: Now it says that the "Feature Code" is invalid.
    That's because you're dialing *28 CELL NUMBER and not *28 GV NUMBER. I did the same thing at first until I found CLEAR instructions that you were supposed to use the google voice number. Most websites just say "your number" and confuse people.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    The text transcriptions worked pretty well for me, but I was cautious about speaking clearly. The results might not be the same when for others who don't know they're going to be transcribed.

Unfortunately, it wasn't quite accurate transcribing the word fhqwhgads.
    Quote Originally Posted by wessock View Post
    That's because you're dialing *28 CELL NUMBER and not *28 GV NUMBER. I did the same thing at first until I found CLEAR instructions that you were supposed to use the google voice number. Most websites just say "your number" and confuse people.
    Mine never worked.

with that in mind, I called CS, and they put it on for me.. .however, I cannot dial *38 to disable it. I guess I will have to call again tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcoop View Post
    Please follow this:

1. Go to your Google Voice inbox.

2. Click on 'Settings' in the top right hand corner.

3. Under the Phones tab, click the edit button under the phone[s] that you have in use for Google Voice.

4. Click on 'Show advanced settings'.

5. Scroll down to where it says 'Forwarding options'.

6. Mark the bullet that says 'Go straight to voicemail'.

7. Click the save button.

8. Repeat Steps 3 - 7 for each phone added in your Google Voice account.

Now when Sprint forwards the caller from your unanswered or busy device it will go straight to Google Voicemail without trying to ring your other Google voice devices. This saves your callers from unnecessary extended ringing as two systems try to reach you.
    Yes I read this after the fact. Thanks for summarizing it here. So far it works well for me.

NVP discount and *28 worked fine.
    Just had my first voicemail transcribed!! woohoo!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanism View Post
    NVP discount and *28 worked fine.
    What do the 2 have to do with each other, if you don't mind me asking? I have an NVP discount as well, does it matter? It shouldn't, I don't think.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    voice-mail error when trying to stream.. Any ideas why this would happen?

I am running 1.2.1...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by navinag; 11/10/2009 at 10:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    voice-mail error when trying to stream.. Any ideas why this would happen?

I am running 1.2.1...
    this happens to me too, but if you use gdial pro you can stream it through the app. dont know why it works in gdial but not by clicking on the link
    Any idea why my page would look totally different from the one mentioned below?? My GV seems to be working properly but I don't have anywhere near the level of customization that this page shows. I don't have the option to select Advanced settings, name my phone, etc. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

tx,

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantone View Post
    I tried setting this up with it works perfectly *28 followed by my Google Voice number and it responded with a couple of beeps. Went to my GV settings page, under the phone tab, clicked edit for the Pre's #, and the Show Advanced Settings link. There are forwarding options to send the call directly to voicemail.

I tried and it works fine from a technical standpoint. Call my cellphone and it rang and then my GV answered and I left a voicemail which was transcribed and emailed to me.

However, I wanted to verify that the *28 code was now free by calling *2 and they were completely clueless to Google Voice, and that *28 fee was going away in mid-November. So I have no idea if it costs me anything. I tried to look at my current activity on the sprint.com website and no charges have appeared yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpressive View Post
    Any idea why my page would look totally different from the one mentioned below??
    Yeah dude, go to:

Settings - Phones - Edit - Show Advanced
    does the free conditional forwarding work now?
    If you looked at my entire post, I clearly stated that I don't have the Advanced Settings option under Settings -> Edit. My page looks like a generic version. I'm wondering if somehow my activation went thru because it works but it's not updated on GV site since it's still has the activate link present or does that never go away??

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantone View Post
    I tried setting this up with it works perfectly *28 followed by my Google Voice number and it responded with a couple of beeps. Went to my GV settings page, under the phone tab, clicked edit for the Pre's #, and the Show Advanced Settings link. There are forwarding options to send the call directly to voicemail.

I tried and it works fine from a technical standpoint. Call my cellphone and it rang and then my GV answered and I left a voicemail which was transcribed and emailed to me.

However, I wanted to verify that the *28 code was now free by calling *2 and they were completely clueless to Google Voice, and that *28 fee was going away in mid-November. So I have no idea if it costs me anything. I tried to look at my current activity on the sprint.com website and no charges have appeared yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by t0ph View Post
    Yeah dude, go to:

Settings - Phones - Edit - Show Advanced
    Is anyone else using this setup with success?

People call you on your cell phone, which is forwarded to GV. But GV is set to ring on your cell phone. Does this not cause a loop where the call keeps going back and forth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepopscience View Post
    Is anyone else using this setup with success?

People call you on your cell phone, which is forwarded to GV. But GV is set to ring on your cell phone. Does this not cause a loop where the call keeps going back and forth?
    No, Google Voice is not set to ring on your cell phone if you're doing it properly. In order to use Google Voice for Voicemail, you need to click a button that says "Activate Google Voicemail on your phone" as seen below. This tells Google that any calls that come directly from your cellphone go straight to your Voicemail. Calls from other numbers to your GV number ring all your phones instead. Basically, the system knows where calls originated from.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jhoff80; 11/11/2009 at 12:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    Transcribed texts and the ability to open a program to listen to voice mail is a great stop-gap as we all wait for a native solution, but what strikes me as odd is the lack of total integration unless you buy into the google voice framework/ideology completely and totally, which I simply can't do yet (it honestly sounds fantastic, but until I see where it all goes, I'm not going to harass everyone I know to change my number just yet).
    I suspect pretty strongly that GV is going to be a winner. My biggest concern is I don't understand their business plan. There's no advertising there, so I don't see where they make their money. At the same time, I didn't see the business plan for Google's original search engine, way back when (and how wrong was I there...)

However, I'm with you on the hassle factor. Right now, I'm holding off for number portability. I have pretty much set the end of March as my "go for broke" date. If number portability isn't available by then, I'm seriously thinking of just giving out the new number to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    I am glad though that we are getting closer to a solid solution overall. I was pretty bummed at the lack of visual voice mail when I first got my Pre and would love for sprint and Google to team up, offering a way to save voice mails and texts with one elegant solution. As it stands now, if you are using GV and a Sprint phone, you effective have two phone numbers, two types of calling plans, two places where your voice mails go (or 1 if you forward), and two places where your texts go.

How bout a little more convergence?
    GDial Pro really ties all this together nicely. I never had visual voicemail, but from what I've seen of it looking at reviews and such, I think GDial Pro/Google Voice is a better solution. Not only can you see all of the voicemail messages left (using GDial Prog), but you have the added advantage of actually being able to read the message, instead of listening to it. I don't think that was an option with VVM.

For me, the one kink still in the works is that I can't port my 8 year old cell number over yet.

I suspect we're going to see some vast improvements in all three of the pieces involved here - the Pre, Google Voice itself, and the app that ties them together.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    And BTW, if you think that GV will replace visual voicemail due to transcriptions... don't get your expectations up. If there is a homebrew app (p2, gdial, etc.) that actually displays your voicemails so that they can be heard, then that would be awesome. But I don't see how those apps could do that since GV uses Flash for playback of VMs.

I'd really like to know what are the differences between the current GV apps for WebOS. Anybody care to explain?
    GDial Pro will allow you to hear your voicemail. It shows you the transcription, then has a button to "listen".

I can't speak to the other Google Voice apps, I settled on GDial Pro pretty early on.
    Last edited by hparsons; 11/11/2009 at 01:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by seanism View Post
    I had my GF call my Sprint phone and it rang for DAYS before going to GV voicemail. Anyone else have this problem?

and by DAYS I mean 10-15 rings.
    Not me. Everytime your GF calls me, it picks right up.
    What happens if I fail to "forward my calls from the cell phone directly to voicemail", all my other phones ring and I answer the call on one of them? Do I still get charged the $0.20/min? I tried it lastnight and I didn't see the call show up under "additional charges". Does anyone have any clarification on this?
    gdial pro does not play voicemails in the app, for me it doesnt