Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

Please Help!!!! Does anyone know if there is a patch available that will allow me to assign a loud ring tone to emails that are marked as high priority by the sender? I want to get rid of my Blackberry which supports this feature. The palm Pre displays the subject line of these high priority emails in red text so I know that it is recognizing the mail correctly. However, what I don't know is how to assign an audible tone to these special emails. Can anyone help?
  2.    #2  
    Ideally, the Pre could be configured to only alert me when an email of high priority is sent. Otherwise, it would be silent or set to vibrate mode. I have a constant flow of email coming in throughout the day and night and only want to be alerted or woken up if the email is urgent. Seems like this would be the perfect feature for the Pre which was designed for people who are very busy.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    actually that seems like a very good idea(I dnt need it tho)..I dnt think the pre can do that
    There isn't a patch for that currently, though it is an excellent idea.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    If someone builds a patch for this I'd definitely use it.
    Sigh.. I don't know how many times I've said this...

E-MAIL IS NOT MEANT AS AN INSTANT FORM OF COMMUNICATION.

Please repeat that, and get it into your head.

If you need to reach someone now, use SMS, IM, or call them. People are starting to expect folks to CONSTANTLY be watching their email at all minutes of the day and it's driving me nuts.

"Did you get my E-mail?" "No not yet." "I sent it half an hour ago!"

ARRRGH. Don't give in to this stupid mis-use of E-mail!

Sorry, personal pet peeve. Carry on.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    why not go back to ancient times and just send letters thru mail, I mean who has a cell phone
    You think e-mail isn't an instant form of communication but a SMS is? Both are available via any smart phone. Both alert you when a new message arrives....even instantly if you like.
    ---
    The Pre is missing many little features present on all competing phones and those a decade older.....including the complete absence of any alert customization.

Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

If you need to reach someone now, use SMS, IM, or call them. People are starting to expect folks to CONSTANTLY be watching their email at all minutes of the day and it's driving me nuts.

I don't think the Pre can do that, but here's a possible work around:

If your email system will support this, create a rule that looks for High Priority messages, and sends you an SMS that lets you know (I've done something similar for emails from certain organizations that I want an alert for).

There is an SMS patch will allow you to have custom alerts for selected users. Create the SMS alert you want, and have it alert you when you receive that forwarded SMS.

Kinda kludgy, but should work.

I know, I know, there are those that say this "should" be a feature of the Pre (personally, I'd like to see it too); however, we can complain, or we can look for workarounds while we wait. I think workarounds are more useful than complaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    You think e-mail isn't an instant form of communication but a SMS is? Both are available via any smart phone. Both alert you when a new message arrives....even instantly if you like.
    ---
    The Pre is missing many little features present on all competing phones and those a decade older.....including the complete absence of any alert customization.
    Ironically, I agree with both you guys on this (feel like Delmar saying "I'm with you fellers"). I think expecting email to be answered "instantly" is expecting too much, but it is what folks have come to expect.

My preferences, in order of "need for speed" are:

Call
    IM
    SMS
    Email
    Snail Mail
    Go over to their house and knock on the door.

Since I'm slightly off-topic anyway; because there were programs in the past that treated High Priority emails differently than others, and because SPAMMERS were aware of that, marking an email as High Priority will actually increase its score in many spam filters.
    This should definitely be possible... go to the WebOS Patches forum and request it!
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I agree with the importance of the ability to distinguish between incoming items, in order to prioritize.

I use the "SMS Tone per Contact" patch to give me different sounds for calendar reminders, SMS messages, and e-mails.

If I'm lying in bed and an e-mail comes through...it'll keep until morning.
    If an SMS comes through, I'm going to get up and look at it.

I do find the factory-default of "dink-donk" to mean an e-mail...or an SMS...or a low battery...or putting it on the charger...or a dropped call to be extremely annoying, and limiting.
    For the person in the corporate world that does some sort of oncall and there are systems setup or scripts that send out email alerts for notifications, I can see a reason why high priority emails having a distinct tone could be a benefit.

Blackberry has really done well with its allowed customizations for alerts.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    For the person in the corporate world that does some sort of oncall and there are systems setup or scripts that send out email alerts for notifications, I can see a reason why high priority emails having a distinct tone could be a benefit.

Blackberry has really done well with its allowed customizations for alerts.
    That's exactly the situation I'm in. I set an email rule to send an SMS when emails come from certain domains (all clients). That, and the scripted alerts I get from Nagios (a network monitoring tool) have custom alerts that are distinctive from the "standard" SMS alert using the SMS Alert tweak.

Family members all have their on distinctive alert as well, though it's only the standard SMS tone, with their names added.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

I agree that most email should not require any type of instant response. However, High priority emails are a great instant form of communication when your audience is relatively small. In my opinion, they are the best way to notify several people simultaneously that a server is down, experiencing an error or needs emergency maintenance. Phone calls waste time and often require people to repeat the problem\explaination. Also, there is typically no record of what was said or explained in a phone call which can cause confusion later if you need to review the sequence of events. SMS messages are too short and are typically limited to mobile devices while email is a cross platform application that is easily viewed on a laptop, desktop and mobile device. Chat programs require people to be logged in at the moment the message is sent while email will be pushed out immediately or as soon as the person is logged into the service.

Spamming\High Priority Email -- The easiest way to avoid high priority spam\marketing emails is to limit the high priority alert to emails sent from a specific domain. For example, only alert the mobile device when email is sent from your companies domain.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    I agree with the importance of the ability to distinguish between incoming items, in order to prioritize.

I use the "SMS Tone per Contact" patch to give me different sounds for calendar reminders, SMS messages, and e-mails.
    The only problem with this method is that you have to know in advance who will be sending the urgent\high priority request. When you are in a large corporation you cannot anticipate who will be sending you the high prioirty requests. The high priority flag is already supporte by the Palm Pre's email application. All Palm or someone needs to do is support the ability to assign a ring tone to this already existing and recognized email attribute.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    why not go back to ancient times and just send letters thru mail, I mean who has a cell phone

you must have one......if you didn't you wouldn't be posting on this site.....if you don't have a pre or a pixi you can leave and find another forum so you can crack jokes....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    blackberries are stupid...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    The sound notification functionality is one area where WebOS is not fully fleshed out...Palm Pre has a more bare bones approach to sound notifications at this time...If you absolutely need this type of functionality now then you're prolly better off on another platform so it depends on how important this feature is for you....
    I think a few fools that are forgeting that email can do things sms or calling can't. And that it might be a business related email that you would like to check on ur phone. You don't need your clients sending you t-bombs and blowing up ur cell....geez
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast