Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    Sigh.. I don't know how many times I've said this...

E-MAIL IS NOT MEANT AS AN INSTANT FORM OF COMMUNICATION.

Please repeat that, and get it into your head.

If you need to reach someone now, use SMS, IM, or call them. People are starting to expect folks to CONSTANTLY be watching their email at all minutes of the day and it's driving me nuts.

"Did you get my E-mail?" "No not yet." "I sent it half an hour ago!"

ARRRGH. Don't give in to this stupid mis-use of E-mail!

Sorry, personal pet peeve. Carry on.
    Sorry, but now a days it is an instant form of communication especially when all of your co-workers have smart phones with emailing capabilities.

There are departments like maintenance that use online submission of maintenance requests. Some requests get flagged as urgent depending on what they are and then are sent to the phones of the crew.

Like others have said phone conversations are good for certain situations, but email is the best way to communicate especially because there is written record of communication. With email you can be in meetings and reply with the phone you cannot.

If I didn't have a phone with push email on it, I wouldn't get anything done through out the day and I would spend hours at the end of the day catching up with emails. It just depends on your situation.

When checking email some emails can wait to be replied to, but in the fast paced world we live in some emails cannot wait and have to be replied to closed to when they are received. It really depends on where you are working. You may not need to check your emails all day, but some do. Its fast and a convenient way of communication.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Most "time management" or productivity systems tell you to turn off IM and email notification. They all tell you to schedule when you read your email. This is the process I use at work. Most people are fine with it, some aren't. I find constant new email notifications a distraction so scheduling when I read email helps me to be more productive.

The problem is that a lot of people expect you to drop everything they're doing and respond to their email message. This just isn't practical. What if you're in a meeting, interviewing a potential employee, teaching a class, on a date, ... There are times when you shouldn't be notified unless it's an emergency. Of course then you have to define emergency. Hint: bad hair day doesn't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by tannyo View Post
    Most "time management" or productivity systems tell you to turn off IM and email notification. They all tell you to schedule when you read your email. This is the process I use at work. Most people are fine with it, some aren't. I find constant new email notifications a distraction so scheduling when I read email helps me to be more productive.

The problem is that a lot of people expect you to drop everything they're doing and respond to their email message. This just isn't practical. What if you're in a meeting, interviewing a potential employee, teaching a class, on a date, ... There are times when you shouldn't be notified unless it's an emergency. Of course then you have to define emergency. Hint: bad hair day doesn't count.
    However, there are certain industries (the IT support industry being one of them) where those emails are a priority over certain things.

I think bottom line is, each user will need to adapt use to his or her situation.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    However, there are certain industries (the IT support industry being one of them) where those emails are a priority over certain things.

I think bottom line is, each user will need to adapt use to his or her situation.
    Definitely agree just depends on the situation.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by tannyo View Post

I agree. However, if someone sends and urgent email requesting immediate assistance the only way to tell that it has arrived is to wake up the phone and thumb through all the emails looking for something urgent. Since the phone was designed with busy people in mind there needs to be a way that an email can stand out from all the other stuff being pulled into the device. I think Palm is stupid for designing a phone that only has a single unchanging audible tone for practically every alertable feature in the system other than a phone call. This company needs to get their act together and design an audible alerting system that is as capable as Synergy itself. Hopefully Palm will throw some of their programming talent at alerting like they did with converging contacts and email.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12