Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The only setting for e-mail which doesn't drain my battery is 'as items arrive' I have tried most of the other settings and they kill my battery...I get 20 - 30 emails a day. Any one else notice this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Yeah what he said above. Much better. Works like a charm that way.
    IMO the phone is made to work with gmail above all other email accounts, and that's the only account I have set up on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Give the battery a little while to break in. I know it sounds silly that it could make that big of a difference, but it does.
    Dude...as a huge Palm Pre backer, I have to admit, the battery life on this thing is awful. There's no excuse you can use for this. If Palm fixed this, I am sure it will lower the return rate (not saying that it's high but i'm sure business users are irked by the poor battery life).
    The apple people have there "We have an app for that" well we have our "We have a patch for that"

So for Select all in email, there is a patch for that, its in Preware under Patches> Email

Check it out when you get a chance
    The OP needs to set all his email accounts to "as they arrive". It makes little sense, but it greatly improves battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Give the battery a little while to break in. I know it sounds silly that it could make that big of a difference, but it does.
    I've had my PrPrPr&#$275$; $for$ $3$ $months$. $My$ $battery$ $life$ $doesn$'$t$ $seem$ $to$ $have$ $improved$ $by$ $leaps$ $and$ $bounds$.

I suspect there's some other explanation for your and other people's perspectives.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I've had my PrPrPr&#$275$; $for$ $3$ $months$. $My$ $battery$ $life$ $doesn$'$t$ $seem$ $to$ $have$ $improved$ $by$ $leaps$ $and$ $bounds$.

I suspect there's some other explanation for your and other people's perspectives.
    Well the problem is Phones are getting smaller and the features they do are getting bigger so its not rocket science to see why battery life would be an issue. The best thing you can do is snag the 1350seidio battery which will help out a ton. I personally keep a charger at work just in case (6 bucks on ebay) and a car charger (another 7 bucks on ebay) That way you should be alright.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itsALLsubliminal View Post
    the only thing i disagree with you on is the 3rd place after android..

i've had the Hero for a week and am missing my pre like CRAAAZY! Android is not as fluid as the pre, nor does it multitask as easily. The touchscreens on android devices (not just my hero, but others) isn't as sensitive to the touch as the pre or iphone. I find androids browser and rendering HORRIBLY LAGGED. When i go to scroll, 70% of the time i hit a random link cuz the capacitive screen and operating system don't seem to be quite as in sync.
    also, when you have a few (useful) apps open wth android, it gets REAAL sluggish.

I like the app catalog of android, but cant stand mistapping and lag when trying to multitask. It just frustrates me to the point where i say "I hate this phone" and put it down without completng my tasks. I suppose for email, android it better, but that is it! I also hate having to get out of what i'm doing just to turn on wifi or bluetooth. I really could go on, but its just abunch of nics and nacs.

I'm a huge NFL fan, so the Pre is ELITE when it comes to sundays.
    My NFL sunday cards go:
    NFL.com
    Confidence Pool Email
    NFL Mobile Live
    Fantasy Football
    Notes (to jot down any ideas on trading my players)
    Audio Stream of a game (if i'm not home)

(seidio extended battery is where its at )

The beauty of the cards view is that most everything is still readable, so unless i need to refresh a page, i can leave them all in card view

(sigh)... anybody wanna buy a hero? lol

Totally agree with your opinions. I definitely feel the Pre is ahead of Android devices. I started Sprint service with the Pre and since I was still in my first 30 days I decided to switch to the Hero on it's release date. My decision to switch only lasted about 8 or 9 days because I was missing so much (functionality and convenience) that my Pre had that the Hero didn't. The main problems were no hardware keyboard, and the "out of sync" capacitive screen and the operating system.

I wouldn't call myself a professional or anything even close, but I am a smartphone fanatic and I've owned almost every smartphone that's worth a shot on Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T. I'm the type of person (like some others I'm sure) that will add lines of service or switch providers and pay the cancellation fee just to get my hands on the latest and/or greatest device.

I've used the g1 and myTouch which both gave me some experience with the android OS. I've also owned every one of the Iphone models at one time or another. I love to be able to customize and hack the crap out of my phones. This is just how I make the phones fit my life. With all that being said, again I don't think the iphone or android devices stack up to the pre.

If you're the type of person that likes everything done for you on your smartphones then I can understand why the Iphone would be the device for you. But, for myself I like the basics in place and want to setup the rest on my own, either through apps or through hacking. The Pre, in my opinion, offers the best operating system (being linux based) which allows you to TRULY make the device yours.

Future webOS updates from Palm will just make better what is already a great device.
    My battery life is easily all day no issue (unless using navigation or something).

What realyl helped me were turning off my twitter notifications for anything but mentions and setting my gmail to "as they arrive"

Also to the OP, there is homebrew solution that adds delete all button to the email app.

Good luck
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anzollo View Post
    I have mixed feelings about the Pre. I like the keyboard although I thought I never would. The build is decent on my Pre, but I just got it and I know there have been some updates. The touch screen is very good and picks up about the same as my iPhone 3GS. The call quality is great even with one bar. The form factor is decent and fits good in the hand. The web browser is snappy and text messaging is spot on. The touchstone works well and is a great addition.

The cons:
    The battery life is terrible. This is comparing it to my 3GS that had the same features on. Originally I setup the pre to have wifi, bluetooth on and check email every 30 minutes. In 4 hours of use my Pre was down to 49% battery life with sending about 20 texts and checking my 4 favorite blogs a few times. My iPhone 3GS went a solid day and a half.

I connected the Pre via usb to my stereo and it works, but it disables the cell phone portion so I can't make or recieve calls. I can connect via bluetooth, but then the audio quality is not up to par for me. The delay between touching and running an app needs to be improved and most likely will be at some point.

As a cell phone the Pre is much better than the iPhone. As a media device I would say it is on par with the 1st gen iPhone as far as speed, but the 3G as far as features.

The email app needs improvement. Unless I am just not familiar with it yet and please let me know if I am wrong, the email app is slow and too difficule to quickly delete multiple emails. I get abnout 50-150 emails a day and to delete them all one by one when I know they are junk is just a pain.

A lot could be done to improve the pre as it has a very similar processor speed to the iPhone 3GS. The addition of a videro camera a better podcast app or refinement thereof would be something of interest to me.

Overall the experience is positive, but I would still like to see the battery issue improved without buying a new battery. Only time will tell, but I think with all the Android phones coming out that Pre will run a solid 3rd.

All devices have their positives and negatives and will perform certain tasks better/worse than other devices. All you can do is pick the one that fits your lifestyle the best. But you also have to consider which device will adapt (through apps or hacks) to your lifestyle as it changes.

Or...... You could be greedy and just keep the Pre and the Iphone!!! Those two devices would meet all your needs and then some.
    I don't really have anything to contribute but I do have to say that its VERY nice seeing that the flamers and ******* seem to have left this forum (or have otherwise calmed down). There was a time not many months (maybe even weeks) where any iphone comparison drew nastiness from all over. I enjoy reading these thought out comparisons.
    My Battery last a whole day being used full tilt. but it didnt at first it does get better , recharge it alot , not when it depleted. i think the battery is great now, so keep it up !....remember charge it alot in the beginning 2 weeks...enjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    I don't really have anything to contribute but I do have to say that its VERY nice seeing that the flamers and ******* seem to have left this forum (or have otherwise calmed down). There was a time not many months (maybe even weeks) where any iphone comparison drew nastiness from all over. I enjoy reading these thought out comparisons.
    PreC Staff has worked very hard to curb that.
    It is nice to see a friendly forum - where people can have civil conversations.
    That's always been our goal.
    christ all u put were cons u shud edit with pro,s
    UK PRE USER
    I'll put in another plug for waiting ~2 weeks to evaluate the battery - also if you work / live in a low sprint-service are the force-roaming will do wonders for you (does for me @ work)

And the touchstone I installed in my car today helps too
    I've had my Pre for about 2-3 weeks now, and I'm loving it. It does almost everything I want it to do. It's taken over for my Palm T/X with Classic installed. It can hotsync via BT or WiFi. It syncs with iTunes. It can play (a few) games to entertain my kids from time to time. I've taken pictures with it. I was able to successfully install my Tether and several homebrew apps. It can transfer files via USB. Fantastic.

My wife has an iPhone 3GS. It's nice in terms of apps--some really great games. But I wouldn't trade my Pre experience for the 3GS which I feel is more limited in other ways such as the interface (having to go through iTunes or the cloud) and customizability. I also love the Pre community as embodied by these forums.

I have run into a few problems though like a defective Touchstone and certain programs interfering with iTunes sync. I takes a bit more effort to figure out the quirks with this phone since it's relatively new, but the forums have been great. Also customer service from some developers like Motionapps has been extremely responsive.

Overall very happy with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by anzollo View Post
    I have mixed feelings about the Pre. I like the keyboard although I thought I never would. The build is decent on my Pre, but I just got it and I know there have been some updates. The touch screen is very good and picks up about the same as my iPhone 3GS. The call quality is great even with one bar. The form factor is decent and fits good in the hand. The web browser is snappy and text messaging is spot on. The touchstone works well and is a great addition.

The cons:
    The battery life is terrible. This is comparing it to my 3GS that had the same features on. Originally I setup the pre to have wifi, bluetooth on and check email every 30 minutes. In 4 hours of use my Pre was down to 49% battery life with sending about 20 texts and checking my 4 favorite blogs a few times. My iPhone 3GS went a solid day and a half.

I connected the Pre via usb to my stereo and it works, but it disables the cell phone portion so I can't make or recieve calls. I can connect via bluetooth, but then the audio quality is not up to par for me. The delay between touching and running an app needs to be improved and most likely will be at some point.

As a cell phone the Pre is much better than the iPhone. As a media device I would say it is on par with the 1st gen iPhone as far as speed, but the 3G as far as features.

The email app needs improvement. Unless I am just not familiar with it yet and please let me know if I am wrong, the email app is slow and too difficule to quickly delete multiple emails. I get abnout 50-150 emails a day and to delete them all one by one when I know they are junk is just a pain.

A lot could be done to improve the pre as it has a very similar processor speed to the iPhone 3GS. The addition of a videro camera a better podcast app or refinement thereof would be something of interest to me.

Overall the experience is positive, but I would still like to see the battery issue improved without buying a new battery. Only time will tell, but I think with all the Android phones coming out that Pre will run a solid 3rd.
    yea take a look at the front page.....2009 pc world 100......see ya android and iphone!
    Last edited by briggsie; 10/27/2009 at 02:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    welcome to the Pre!

I love mine but my Apple loveing wife wants to trade hers for an iPhone!

Regarding the email deleting, you can get a patch via Preware that will add a "delete all" and "mark all read" button. That has helped me a lot and Preware is easy to install. I do like adding packages with it better than webos quick install though you will need that to install Preware.

patches are much simpler than jailbreaking an iPhone and there are a lot of great patches.

good luck!
    Same issue. I love my Pre way better than my Iphone but I can synced my Outlook via WiFi. She does not have Wifi at work and I have not been able to figure out how she can synced her Outlook so she HATES her Pre and wants her Iphone back.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12