Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I had to clear my Pre of all of our fond memories from the last 1.5 weeks and the UPS lady had to pry it from my hands as it's heading to Kentucky to be replaced by a new sibling.

In the meantime, I'm back to using my HTC Vogue with a heavily modded Windows Mobile 6.5 ROM and a slight port of the TouchFlo 2D (similar to Sense UI). It's amazing that after 2 years of having used the Touch, I already forgot how to use it in under 2 weeks. First off, hardware wise, the Touch is virtually the same size as a the Pre. If anything it feels a lot cheaper since it has a different exterior texture and is much lighter. The Pre has a solid heavy feel to it (a good thing).

Software-wise, even with HTC's nice touches to the OS, it's still Windows Mobile (6.5). It's simply not intuitive when you're going through the menus and frankly, it's not nearly as beautiful as WebOS. There is a task manager on this phone, which allows me to see what windows are open and switch between them, but it's still not like the card view is.

The things I do prefer about Windows Mobile:
    1) Calendaring displays my upcoming meetings on the home screen and when locked. That way I know about a meeting before hand without needing to wait for a reminder to popup or to click into my calendar. Is there some way of doing this on the Pre?
    2) Alarm clock allows me to dismiss and snooze while the phone is locked. On the Pre, since I have a Pin setup, if the alarm ever goes off, I have to enter the pin and then dismiss or hit snooze on the alarm. Very annoying.

But I can't wait until my new Pre comes in the mail. Then I can truly be happy again.
    My wife's Centro died last week and I set her up on my old Touch Pro until she decides what phone she wants to upgrade to. Just setting it up for her was such an annoyance. I can't believe I was a WiMo die-hard for over three years. The interface is disgusting and the lag is unbelievable. I will NEVER go back! If something happens to my Pre, I'd rather switch to a dumb phone for a few days waiting for a replacement than use WiMo again.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I wish I had a choice here, but I had this phone laying around (no dumbphone to switch to). Nice thing is, at least it's only temporary and has all the basic features I need to hold me over (email, phone).
    I came to the pre also from an htc touch aka vogue.

I had to franken mod the thing until it was useable. I'm soo glad it's gone. NEVER AGAIN WINDOWS MOBILE NEVER AGAIN!!!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    i too am coming from the touch here's a bit of info to help make life easier(maybe) til you get your new pre. You can run Android on the touch! It's not 100 percent but it is usable for phone calls data and txt so maybe that'll give ya some winmo relief til help arrives lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeratain View Post
    The things I do prefer about Windows Mobile:
    1) Calendaring displays my upcoming meetings on the home screen and when locked. That way I know about a meeting before hand without needing to wait for a reminder to popup or to click into my calendar. Is there some way of doing this on the Pre?
    2) Alarm clock allows me to dismiss and snooze while the phone is locked. On the Pre, since I have a Pin setup, if the alarm ever goes off, I have to enter the pin and then dismiss or hit snooze on the alarm. Very annoying.

But I can't wait until my new Pre comes in the mail. Then I can truly be happy again.
    1) Leave the calendar app open like I do and it'll always be there at the ready. The PrPrPr&#$275$; $doesn$'$t$ $need$ $a$ $home$ $screen$ $or$ $widgets$. $It$ $has$ $cards$

2) Anyone who complains about this should stop using the PrPrPr&#$275$; $as$ $an$ $alarm$ $clock$ $to$ $wake$ $up$.

Problems solved. I know the PrPrPr&#$275$; $isn$'$t$ $perfect$, $but$ $I$ $hope$ $you$ $get$ $your$ $Pr$&#$275$; $back$ $soon$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeratain View Post
    You could also look at it as ensuring that you're actually awake since you have to be awake enough to enter your PIN before turning it off.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    My wife's Centro died last week and I set her up on my old Touch Pro until she decides what phone she wants to upgrade to. Just setting it up for her was such an annoyance. I can't believe I was a WiMo die-hard for over three years. The interface is disgusting and the lag is unbelievable. I will NEVER go back! If something happens to my Pre, I'd rather switch to a dumb phone for a few days waiting for a replacement than use WiMo again.
    Same here...I was also a Windows Mobile die hard for years. I loved the openness and the ability to customize the phone exactly to my liking. I just got sick of old software and empty promises. Also, it kind of sucks to have to reflash my phone every 6 months, in order for it to run well. My Pre runs just as fast as it did on launch day. Another thing about Windows Mobile is that you have to live with its shortcomings...Palm is actually listening to their userbase and pushing out updates constantly. With an HTC device, you're lucky if you get one firmware update and they hardly ever fix the important things. The fact that the tired old WM interface can still be laggy on a 600Mhz processor tells me that it's time to rebuild the OS from the ground up.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I've just ditched my Treo Pro for a Pre and it couldn't come at a moment too soon. I started my thinking that I could change it to my needs but after a while of software stopping working, the phone crashing and the tinytiny buttons and slowslow responsiveness... I'm so much happier on WebOS
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC 3200 (bad move) > Treo Pro (not as bad but still WinMo) > Palm Pre