1.    #1  
    My touch screen has stopped responding and I have very important pictures on my phone. If you have any method to get the pictures off I am willing to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_whit001 View Post
    My touch screen has stopped responding and I have very important pictures on my phone. If you have any method to get the pictures off I am willing to do it.

EDIT: woops, let me read a little closer next time
    Last edited by egaudet; 10/26/2009 at 06:55 PM.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Careful, running Webos doctor will wipe *all* the data on your phone. Not advised if you're trying to recover your data.
    Try getting your pics by putting your phone into forced USB mode.

1) Insert the USB cable into the AC charger, and insert the AC charger into a wall outlet.
    2) Remove and reinsert the phone battery.
    3) Press and hold the volume up button, and insert the USB cable into the phone.
    4) A large USB icon should appear on the phone screen. (which you won't be able to see, but it should still be in USB mode)
    Follow Me On

there is a way power off the phone and hold volume up when you turn it back on this will put it in usb mode connect to computer then back up all the files run webos doctor and wipe clean then take out insurance or warranty
    Quote Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
    Careful, running Webos doctor will wipe *all* the data on your phone. Not advised if you're trying to recover your data.

Woops, thanks for pointing that out. I should read a little closer next time.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  7.    #7  
    When you put the phone into forced usb mode, the device isn't recognized
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    The only way is to use webos quickinstall and pull off each picture individually. If you search on it you will find a post, it was either in my thread or a similar about the same issue. Basically unless you are rooted that is going to be the only (and slow and painful depending on the # of pics you have) way to get anything off. I just decided not to bother and got my new phone and just lost em. But there is no way to get it into USB mode without touching the button onscreen once it's connected.
  9.    #9  
    quick install wont recognize the phone unless its in dev mode will it?
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyre View Post
    The only way is to use webos quickinstall and pull off each picture individually. If you search on it you will find a post, it was either in my thread or a similar about the same issue. Basically unless you are rooted that is going to be the only (and slow and painful depending on the # of pics you have) way to get anything off. I just decided not to bother and got my new phone and just lost em. But there is no way to get it into USB mode without touching the button onscreen once it's connected.
    THIS seems like a reasonable response, except for the fact that a) quickinstall requires that your pre is in developer mode, but if your screen's out you can't approve it to be in developer mode and restart, and b) don't you have to enable USB in order for it to work anyway???

Okay - there's got to be an answer here. Palm backs up the contacts from the Pre, but not pictures or text messages (maybe they're trying to save on storage???), and it appears that MANY users lose access to these files b/c of broken screens. SO, does ANYONE know of a way to get to the USB functionality without actually selecting it on the screen? The forced USB mode thing doesn't work, as many people have mentioned, but that would at least allow the pictures to be retrieved. And then the same issue with whatever DB file holds the texts...

HELLO!!! PEOPLE AT PALM!!! Are you friggin LISTENING TO ANYONE OUT HERE??!?

Please help. It can't be that I have to sent the stupid thing to some place in Texas to get the screen replaced, the data retrieved, and then the broken screen put back on and the whole thing sent back to me so that I can send it back to the insurance..

SERIOUSLY??!!??
    Last edited by JMorreale; 10/28/2009 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Misspelling
    Advice: I save all my Pre files once a week, I recommend all Pre users to do the same, while you are home, set your Pre on your PC and while charging using USB (not your Touchstone), just copy all the files and paste them to your PC at least once a week.

Has worked great for me and my 4th Pre at the moment, can't say I've lost a lot during my 3 replacements (1 camera stuck, 1 battery issue on and off, 1 screen cracked).
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I totally agree - if I can sort out this getting-the-data-back issue, I will back it up more often than once a week, trust me...

Any ideas about recoving the data??

Anyone? Anyone? PALM??????
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JMorreale View Post
    THIS seems like a reasonable response, except for the fact that a) quickinstall requires that your pre is in developer mode, but if your screen's out you can't approve it to be in developer mode and restart, and b) don't you have to enable USB in order for it to work anyway???

Okay - there's got to be an answer here. Palm backs up the contacts from the Pre, but not pictures or text messages (maybe they're trying to save on storage???), and it appears that MANY users lose access to these files b/c of broken screens. SO, does ANYONE know of a way to get to the USB functionality without actually selecting it on the screen? The forced USB mode thing doesn't work, as many people have mentioned, but that would at least allow the pictures to be retrieved. And then the same issue with whatever DB file holds the texts...

HELLO!!! PEOPLE AT PALM!!! Are you friggin LISTENING TO ANYONE OUT HERE??!?

Please help. It can't be that I have to sent the stupid thing to some place in Texas to get the screen replaced, the data retrieved, and then the broken screen put back on and the whole thing sent back to me so that I can send it back to the insurance..

SERIOUSLY??!!??

Where is this place in Texas??!!?? I am in the same boat and am willing to pay to do that..
    Quote Originally Posted by JMorreale View Post
    I totally agree - if I can sort out this getting-the-data-back issue, I will back it up more often than once a week, trust me...

Any ideas about recoving the data??

Anyone? Anyone? PALM??????
    What Syphon mentioned above in post #4 won't get you access via USB mass storage, but it should allow WQI to recognize the Pre. WQI communicates with the Pre the same way webOS Doctor does (through the Novacomm interface, which is also enabled in developer mode). So this would seem to be your best bet.

You could also use the post #4 method to get command line access, and, following instructions from webos-internals, install the sftp server, which would then allow you to get multiple files. This is a little involved--not difficult, but if you don't know your way around computers, you should stick with WQI.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Maybe palm was listening. In webOS 1.3.1 this feature was added:

"You can access USB Drive mode by pressing and holding the orange key/Option + Sym + U after connecting the phone to the computer. This enables you to access USB drive mode if the screen is broken or stops responding to taps."

Note that this does not put it in dev mode. It just gives access to the USB drive so you can grab your pictures and some other misc files. I don't think you can get your contacts this way (but I am not sure).

My screen was completely shattered. Only the light came on. This was on a "clean" palm pre (was not rooted). I did the following:

1. plug in usb with no battery
    - if Windows finds unknown device just ignore (cancel)

2. plug in battery and wait until you see a new drive mounted in "my computer"
    - might take a bit. i am not sure what was happening since the screen was dead.
    - note that once the drive appears, clicking won't help (it will say "insert media" or something like that). this is because the pre has the media sync/usb drive/charge menu on the screen (I think.. i couldn't see it)

3. press orange key + Sym + U. wait a couple seconds and the drive name in "my computer" should change to "palm pre".

4. use windows to copy any files. i just copied all directories (around 400MB) to my desktop.
    - my pictures were all in d:\DCIM\100PALM ("d" was the drive that windows chose to mount the pre on).

The release date for 1.3.1 was Nov 13th. So I am not sure if there are options if your screen broke before the update. Maybe there is a way to force the update to the new OS without touching the screen? If so, then you could use the above shortcut key.
    Is there any way to use the pre as a bootable device this way?