Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Gang,

My Tmobile contract is finally up, which means I'm FINALLY getting my Pre!! How have I made it this far? Doing some development with the emulator has just made me long for this day even more.

Anyway, I just want to confirm a few things about my options for point of sale ...

I'm going to be getting 2 Pre's (wifey wants one as well) on the $129.99 Everything Data plan.

I of course know that at a Sprint store I'll have to deal with the mail in rebate, while the other stores (Best Buy, RadioShack, etc) don't have that issue. Am I right about the following regarding TEP? If I buy at BestBuy, I'll be getting their replacement plan, which is $10/mo. There is no deductible, but it doesn't cover complete immersion in water (does cover minor water damage though). If I buy anywhere else, I'll be getting the Sprint TEP plan, which is $7/mo. It DOES cover complete immersion and any other problem, but has a $100 deductible.

Is all of the above correct? If I go with BestBuy, any feedback on how stringent they are with replacements? Will they replace it for something like oreo problems, or does it have to be something more severe, like a screen crack? For the record, I've had a few other items in the past that needed a replacement, and my local BestBuy has always been great about it, giving me a new in box item with no questions asked.

Finally, any other issues to consider when choosing where to purchase from? Any differences that I haven't thought of as of yet? I'm leaning toward BestBuy at the moment. I like the no-rebate option as well as the no deductible on the protection plan. But I pretty much have every option at my disposal (BestBuy, Sprint Corporate Store, Sprint Franchise Store, RadioShack, Wal-Mart). Tele-sales and internet are out cause I don't want to wait for shipping. I've waited 4 months already, I can't wait any longer!!!!

Thanks in advance,
    Can't wait to FINALLY get my Pre!!!
    I have no experience with the Best Buy insurance, but it seems to me you are weighing two things, as you already mentioned:

1.) $10/mo, no deductible; $7/mo, $100 deductible. So, you just have to ask yourself: how rough am I on my phones? In my experience, the Pre is not as fragile as often claimed, particularly since build quality supposedly has improved in the last several months. On the other hand, water damage, such as getting caught on a downpour, could be a real concern.

2.) To mail in rebate or not to mail in rebate. I preferred the security of knowing I was buying straight from the "experts," who would probably be better equipped to deal with any problems I had, so waiting for my check wasn't a big deal. Now that the phone isn't quite so new, this may be less important.

Good luck!
    Bought 3 Palm Pre's - 2 at Sprint Stores and 1 at Radio Shack, Best Buy does not sell them in my area.

Radio shack was much easier, no waiting for the Rebate, but bought the TEP through Sprint at Radio Shack, but Radio Shack does not move over contacts or pictures on the phone. You will still need to go to a Sprint Store to do this.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrad425 View Post
    Radio shack was much easier, no waiting for the Rebate, but bought the TEP through Sprint at Radio Shack, but Radio Shack does not move over contacts or pictures on the phone. You will still need to go to a Sprint Store to do this.
    Sprint doesn't even move pictures for you, but the contacts issue is completely resolved by the Palm Profile you setup when you first get your Pre. It goes to a database and when you activate this profile on your replacement Pre, it retrieves all this information from the database and loads it back on to your new phone, so you don't have to worry about losing your contacts.

Pictures you have to backup on your computer to save them, they don't get saved to the database with your contacts and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWhittt View Post
    Sprint doesn't even move pictures for you, but the contacts issue is completely resolved by the Palm Profile you setup when you first get your Pre. It goes to a database and when you activate this profile on your replacement Pre, it retrieves all this information from the database and loads it back on to your new phone, so you don't have to worry about losing your contacts.

Pictures you have to backup on your computer to save them, they don't get saved to the database with your contacts and apps.
    My daughter had Rumor phone, we bought her a New Palm Pre, Radio Shack would not move anything over to the new Palm Pre. They told us to go to a Sprint store and we did and they moved all her contacts and all 900 photos, it took 45 minutes too complete this task.

We have them back up on the computer now, but it was nice of Sprint to do this for my Daughter.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrad425 View Post
    My daughter had Rumor phone, we bought her a New Palm Pre, Radio Shack would not move anything over to the new Palm Pre. They told us to go to a Sprint store and we did and they moved all her contacts and all 900 photos, it took 45 minutes too complete this task.

We have them back up on the computer now, but it was nice of Sprint to do this for my Daughter.
    Oh, ok, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about moving pictures/contacts from Pre to new Pre, not another phone to Pre.

Yes, this is true, they did move my contacts from my Centro to my Pre when I first got it, but I told them not to worry about my pictures, I did it myself. :P
    I am a big fan of best buy, but coming from someone who just dropped his pre in a 12"x12" puddle the other day when it was not raining I now realize how great the probability is of dropping your phone in the water.
    As far as the $100 dollar deductible goes I did this friday morning had my new phone by 1:30 today(not sure if it is a refurb or not I can't find where the build date is) and was sent a pre paid envelope to send the old phone bacK and was told to keep the old phones battery and charger!
    So $100 dollars= brand new pre, no more oreo effect and I now have a spare charger and a spare battery!
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    (not sure if it is a refurb or not I can't find where the build date is)
    Go the phone dialer screen and dial ##786#
    forget about Best Buy

get your insurance from your homeowner insurance carrier - about 1/3 of the price and better coverage

I vote for Sprint - if you have problems you have a better chance of them helping you out (credit your account or something) than Best Lie
    You can buy it at Best Buy and get the insurance from Sprint.

Again, if you want the the instant rebate, get it at Best Buy, but if you want the the convenience of getting it at Sprint, and they doing all the transfers, then get it at Sprint Corp store. You will have to wait for the rebate though.

It is up to you, but you don't have to take Best Buy's insurance.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Best Buy will give you an instant rebate and transfer your files for free, no need to wait for a mail in rebate and then you can decide if you want either BB coverage or TEP vs. just being stuck with choosing TEP at the Sprint store. More options the better!
    Go Blue!

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Pre $99 at wirefly.com:

Welcome to our Wireless World
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    GO To Best Buy Mobile

I know I work for them but most of the employee's that work for bbm are straight up. You can get the TEP from best buy. I don't mind the best buy gsbtp and if you drop the phone in a pool they will cover it just don't bring it in soaking wet. They have more accy. invisible Shields. Like the one guy said they will transfer your contacts no extra charge as long as the genie supports your old phone.

We also don't get paid commission!
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    best buy, they know just as much or more than the sprint employees, and if u feel more comfortable with sprint you can still take it there for issues even if u got it from bby
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Is the TEP really worth it? In all the years I've owned cell phones I have never once had a need to use such a service. With Sprint Premier which I belong I can already buy a new phone every year at the discounted price.

The Pre has a 1yr defect warranty. So TEP would only be for something I caused. At $7/month thats $84/yr plus $100 deductible = $184. My Pre cost my $149 and next summer I can buy a new phone probably for that price or less. If you have a habit of breaking phones often then I suppose it can be worth it. For me it is not.

I've never had to replace a phone where TEP would have saved me money and I've been with Sprint since they came online (1993?).
    I have 2 teenage daughters and the TEP has saved me tons of money in the last couple years. I think I have had around 8 or 10 replacements phones in the last 24 months and one dductible of $50. I am a firm believer in TEP.

Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    Is the TEP really worth it? In all the years I've owned cell phones I have never once had a need to use such a service. With Sprint Premier which I belong I can already buy a new phone every year at the discounted price.

The Pre has a 1yr defect warranty. So TEP would only be for something I caused. At $7/month thats $84/yr plus $100 deductible = $184. My Pre cost my $149 and next summer I can buy a new phone probably for that price or less. If you have a habit of breaking phones often then I suppose it can be worth it. For me it is not.

I've never had to replace a phone where TEP would have saved me money and I've been with Sprint since they came online (1993?).
  17.    #17  
    Thanks for all the replies folks. I think I'm leaning toward BestBuy. Instant Rebate plus more TEP options. I don't have anything to copy over from my old phone so I'm not worried about that. If I can talk them into waiving the activation fees, then I'll be golden. I'm going to look into the homeowners insurance option though. That could be the way to go.

Less than 24 hours ... I can't wait!!
    I bought my Pre from Best Buy. They would not waive the activation fee but they did give me %15 off on accessories (car charger, screen protector, etc) so be sure to ask them about that. It is my understanding that you can sign up for Sprint's warranty coverage whenever you want so you can purchase your phones at BB and have Sprint coverage if you decide that works better for you. I've had fine service at the local Sprint store too. I just think mail-in rebates are a pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by eightdrunkengods View Post
    I bought my Pre from Best Buy. They would not waive the activation fee but they did give me %15 off on accessories (car charger, screen protector, etc) so be sure to ask them about that. It is my understanding that you can sign up for Sprint's warranty coverage whenever you want so you can purchase your phones at BB and have Sprint coverage if you decide that works better for you. I've had fine service at the local Sprint store too. I just think mail-in rebates are a pain.
    as a sprint premier customer you get like 25 % off i believe lol , and as soon as you buy a pre you become a premier customer because of the plan you have to have for the pre
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    as a sprint premier customer you get like 25 % off i believe lol , and as soon as you buy a pre you become a premier customer because of the plan you have to have for the pre
    Doh!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast