Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been having auto shutdown issues for a few weeks now. It's not the kind that's caused by the slider, but rather the mysterious out-of-nowhere shutdown.

I called Palm, told them my story and they told me to go to a Sprint store to have it checked out.

Why????

They told me it's a battery contact issue and that it can be easily fixed by someone at the Sprint store. I told them I knew about the mickey mouse fix, but would rather have it replaced. He insisted that I go to the Sprint store to get it checked out.

I barked some more. He said he would talk to his supervisor. He took too long. I hung up.

Does it matter to Palm what the problem is? I figure at this point (after thousands of complaints) they would do everything they can to make sure their customers are happy.

ARRGGH!!
    Last edited by algee650; 10/26/2009 at 12:31 PM.
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Palm has probably instituted a repair relationship with Sprint that offloads much of the repair/replacement work to Sprint. This is annoying, since Sprint is often more a PITA to deal with than the manufacturer, but that's how it goes.

I find it telling that you say you "barked" at the Palm rep, and then hung up when he "took too long" getting the supervisor who might well have been able to do what you wanted. I mean, with that kind of attitude, I wouldn't want to help you either. I'm kind of glad you didn't get your way, really.

What's your beef with going in to the Sprint store for repair, anyway?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    its too bad ur having trouble.....I had a htc p4351 unlocked winmo phone.....it never shot video....one day it wouldn't turn on......htc wants $30 to just look @ it........it had tmoblie service and so I called tmobile and they won't help me......I hope you get some help....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    To get your Palm device repaired, contact Palm Customer Service.

United States: (877) 426-3777 for smartphones, (866) 935-7256 for handhelds
    Canada: (866) 219-7445 for all devices

Palm Support : In-warranty repair services (US & Canada)

There has been a number of threads on this forum regarding successes with calling the above numbers.
    Palm sells the Pre to Sprint. Sprint has ownership of all devices, so Palm cannot simply replace your device, but likely could assist you with supervisor approval. You need to be patient, or go into a Sprint store.

Berrating people is never a way to get what you want. It's like going fishing with bricks for bait and wondering why you don't catch anything.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 10/26/2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: spelling :)
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    I've been having auto shutdown issues for a few weeks now. It's not the kind that's caused by the slider, but rather the mysterious out-of-nowhere shutdown.

I called Palm, told them my story and they told me to go to a Sprint store to have it checked out.

Why????

They told me it's a battery contact issue and that it can be easily fixed by someone at the Sprint store. I told them I knew about the mickey mouse fix, but would rather have it replaced. He insisted that I go to the Sprint store to get it checked out.

I barked some more. He said he would talk to his supervisor. He took too long. I hung up.

Does it matter to Palm what the problem is? I figure at this point (after thousands of complaints) they would do everything they can to make sure their customers are happy.

ARRGGH!!
    The "Mickey Mouse" fix comes on all refurb Pre's. It's not a "Mickey Mouse" fix, it's quite effective. My phone has it, and has 0 issues, whatsoever. Take it to Sprint, they may just hand you a new battery that fits better, no "Mickey Mouse" fix involved.
  7.    #7  
    @VCI

The only attitude I have is one in which if my phone doesn't work the way it's supposed to, replace it. I do have a year, correct? Why are they telling me to go to the store to have it checked out? Does Sprint handle warranty replacements now??

What I meant by "barked" is I held my ground (politely). And I'm sorry, 10 min is too long to be on hold. If it's going to be more than 5 min, at least get back on the phone and tell me.

@pogey - "berrating people" people....people..you're taking this "barking" thing way out of context. And the whole fishing bit?? Necessary? And you're a moderator?
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    @VCI

The only attitude I have is one in which if my phone doesn't work the way it's supposed to, replace it. I do have a year, correct? Why are they telling me to go to the store to have it checked out? Does Sprint handle warranty replacements now??

What I meant by "barked" is I held my ground (politely). And I'm sorry, 10 min is too long to be on hold. If it's going to be more than 5 min, at least get back on the phone and tell me.

@pogey - "berrating people" people....people..you're taking this "barking" thing way out of context. And the whole fishing bit?? Necessary? And you're a moderator?
    No problem. Sorry for the misunderstanding. The implication of the word "barking" is that you were not merely standing your ground.

I also apologize for my analogy. It was not meant as a slight to your intelligence. I was merely pointing out how illogical it was to give the Palm rep a hard time for following what he was told.

I likened it unto fishing with bricks because giving the person you need a hard time would be just as effective.

Anyway, I apolgize, but you would do well to be patient in the future.

Why????

ARRGGH!!
    You are not their customer (unless you bought it directly from Palm, I don't think you did...) Sprint is their customer. You are Sprint's customer. The advice you got was good. Contact Sprint.
    ... I do have a year, correct? Why are they telling me to go to the store to have it checked out? Does Sprint handle warranty replacements now??
    Actually, Sprint has handled the warranty repairs in situations like this for many years. I once had a Treo 270, but only briefly. All of the Treo devices I've had since that were on Sprint, and the warranties were covered by Sprint.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    OP,

Do you purchase your vehicle directly from the manufacturer? Or do you purchase it from a dealer? Once you get your vehicle, if there is a problem with it under warranty, do you go to the manufacturer or the dealer? Same situation, Palm is the manufacturer, Sprint is the dealer. See the dealer first, and escalate it if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, Sprint has handled the warranty repairs in situations like this for many years. I once had a Treo 270, but only briefly. All of the Treo devices I've had since that were on Sprint, and the warranties were covered by Sprint.
    Sprint replaced my phone under Warranty twice.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    @VCI

To start, you went wrong when you started with Palm. As someone said above, unless you bought it directly from Palm then you should go to Sprint.

Take it to the store. Chances are, they will swap one out for you right away. I am on my 4th Pre (auto restart was my first issue, then two screen cracks). Each time, they just swapped my phone out with a new one, no porblemo.

Palm is a waste of time. Sprint DOES, in fact, handle warranty replacements. Actually, they always have. Each handset comes with a 1 year warranty. When you get a replacement, the year starts over again.
    There should be a simple list of steps to get your phone repaired while still under warranty. It'd look an awful lot like this....

(1) Take the phone to Sprint.
    (2) ...
    (3) Profit!
    Quote Originally Posted by EazyWeazy View Post
    When you get a replacement, the year starts over again.
    Now THAT I did not know.
    I just had mine replaced- they DO NOT SWAP IN STORE. I had to wait 3 days for a "warranty" phone. This new one (probably a refurb) also has problems - screen intermittently won't come on but the phone is still powered.

So now I WAIT for yet another swap- why you can't swap in store for a phone w/ as bad a record as palm is beyond me. This is why I left palm so many years ago- great software- terrible hardware. If Sprint had some great android phones- I may consider switching because my patience is wearing thin.
    I've been having auto shutdown issues for a few weeks now. It's not the kind that's caused by the slider... I called Palm, ... they told me to go to a Sprint store to have it checked out.
    Did you end up going to the store (and if so, what was the resolution)?

They told me it's a battery contact issue and that it can be easily fixed by someone at the Sprint store.
    Likely, but they wanted you to go to the store so they could be more certain of what the actual problem is/was.

Why????
    To confirm if the problem they suspected is the actual cause or not.

Does it matter to Palm what the problem is?
    Apparently so. Many problems can be better fixed locally - and usually this provides better service for the customer while also minimizing Palm's costs prior to knowing the actual problem.

Too bad they didn't get back to you sooner or that you couldn't have waited longer. (It would have been interesting to see if the supervisor would have been able to help you.)

I figure at this point (after thousands of complaints) they would do everything they can to make sure their customers are happy.
    Go to the store and keep notes of what they said, and call Palm back if necessary. A well reasoned approach and defense of why you don't feel that what you have been (or will be) offered is your best approach going forward.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Winds me up no end. This is a note to anyone who has ever screamed at or stamped their feet in front of a customer service employee be it telephone or retail....

Keep calm and explain your problem rationally - the staff are there to help you believe it or not. It is in the mobile operators interest that you have a working phone - that's how the profit is made.

Sometimes process/procedure will slow things down but then, Im sure you had a life before your phone started acting up!!!! Remember, it is not the end of the world, and if you are a business user your SIM will work perfectly in even the cheapest of phones - even email is integrated now!

Remember this - if there is any evidence of damage you will be liable/charged END OF... Wear and tear doesn't occur if you look after your phone!

If you don't get the responses you are looking for, try to rephrase or take a different approach. And if you lose your cool, step away and try again later, you will only embarrass yourself and the only person who will continue to have a bad day is yourself.

The patient man who goes about his business with dignity always gets the best results.

If the manual states that you have a manufacturer warranty, the Palm are the best place to start. However, the agreement between Palm and the network may mean that the network are authorised repair agents.
    hmm maybe it depends per store... i've had the store replace the phone within 2 hours no questions asked, and past the 30 day trial period
    I had the same exact issue - random shutdown that is not related to the slider. The Sprint Store ordered me a new battery and I have not had this issue since.

Thus, this issue doesn't really warrant a phone replacement if it can easily be fixed with a new battery.

What was interesting is that the defective battery was the Korean/Chinese one while the replacement was the Japanese one. I thought the Korean battery was the "replacement" battery to fix the slider shutoff issue?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast