1.    #1  
    Is there a way to handle live asx streaming over the web? I'm mainly interested in internet radio. Being Greek it's the only way I can listen to live Greek radio, listen to news, sports etc from home.

Any way to do this or we still waiting for an app?

Thanks
    Vas
    Hey Vas, Not unitill Palm allows the implimentation of codecs will we be able to stream asx and wmp. Trust me this is one of the few things that I'm waiting for. You might want to check out one of the home brew shoutcast apps. They have a greek catagory with tons of streaming stations.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyq9c View Post
    Hey Vas, Not unitill Palm allows the implimentation of codecs will we be able to stream asx and wmp. Trust me this is one of the few things that I'm waiting for. You might want to check out one of the home brew shoutcast apps. They have a greek catagory with tons of streaming stations.
    Thanks for the reply. I am aware of that and I have been using shoutcast on my pc as well. However most "decent" Greek radio stations do not broadcast on southcast, which is a problem when you trying to listen to football games

Interesting enough my colleague showed me an app for the iphone which does that today. I would like to think that Palm will allow this very soon, since they have let free the implementation of plugins/patches as we all know from using Preware.

It may have something to do with getting a licence from M$ to use the asx and wmp codecs. I just hope to see this tackled in the next 3 months or so else I will start regretting not going the iphone way....
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    It may have something to do with getting a licence from M$ to use the asx and wmp codecs. I just hope to see this tackled in the next 3 months or so else I will start regretting not going the iphone way....

I still lug my winmo phone around because the show I listen to in the morning only uses asx so I know the pain.

I know the guys from corecodec have been working on a coreplayer for the pre but have hit a wall because the API that deals with that and mic control have not been released in the current SDK that palm has out. I do hope that Palm gives them the same deep access that they gave to the guys at Pandora.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyq9c View Post
    I still lug my winmo phone around because the show I listen to in the morning only uses asx so I know the pain.

I know the guys from corecodec have been working on a coreplayer for the pre but have hit a wall because the API that deals with that and mic control have not been released in the current SDK that palm has out. I do hope that Palm gives them the same deep access that they gave to the guys at Pandora.
    So to me it sounds like its all down to 3rd party companies paying "lots" for licences to access the back end API of the SDK. To be honest this is a bit of a catch 22 situation.

If Palm wants to compete with Apple they need to allow more codec support etc and to open up a bit the library/hardware access. Not sure if the Windows Mobile phones can play such streams but how can Palm compete with the iPhone if they don't allow that?

Ok Nokias, Sony's and Blackberries are not able to compete with the Pre, however to gain advantage on a market you are behind on sales, you need to make an extra step.

I really really really hope this is sorted soon....

Vas
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    So to me it sounds like its all down to 3rd party companies paying "lots" for licences to access the back end API of the SDK. To be honest this is a bit of a catch 22 situation.

I really really really hope this is sorted soon....

Vas
    I don't know if any "pay for play" is going on but they are holding certain API's too close to the vest for my taste. I will still give them the benefit of the doubt in as the OS has only been around for less than 5 months, but I do understand peoples' frustration regarding certain lacking features. Still love the phone and won't be going over to android...