Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. Libb's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
       #1  
    By now I'm sure most of you have mastered the basic navigational gestures of webOS (tap, flick, back, pinch, center button), and many have likely moved onto the more advanced gestures, such as the QL drag, swipe up to card view, and the full gesture area swipe to flip between apps. Now that you have your multi-touch sea legs, what gestures do you think Palm should add for those who have mastered the basics and want more functionality?

    Personally, I have a few slightly odd, but creative requests:

    - Two finger swipe up from gesture area should open card view in the zoomed out view, so if you have many apps open you can see more of them at a glance.

    - Holding a finger in the gesture area and swiping another finger over text should select the text, enabling cut/copy/paste without opening the keyboard.

    - A bit wacky (but based in Palm tradition), but we should be able to set special triggers for dragging two fingers across the screen from each cardinal direction, which would open an app (or jump to its primary open card if its already running) of our choosing: For example, I could set Email to a two finger swipe across the screen from left to right, and then from any app I could instantly jump to Email or open an Email card by performing that swipe. (Yes, I know QL has the same functionality, but QL is slower than a single swipe, and there are apps I want instant access to but don't use often enough to dedicate a QL spot to - Evernote, Camera, Luna Manager, etc.)

    I'm sure that people will think some of those are a bit wacky, but they're just my suggestions, what ideas do you guys have?
    Last edited by Libb; 10/26/2009 at 07:12 AM.
  2. Spooke's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #2  
    I want refresh on the browser by doing a little circle in the main area.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC 3200 (bad move) > Treo Pro (not as bad but still WinMo) > Palm Pre
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    By now I'm sure most of you have mastered the basic navigational gestures of webOS (tap, flick, back, pinch, center button), and many have likely moved onto the more advanced gestures, such as the QL drag, swipe up to card view, and the full gesture area swipe to flip between apps. Now that you have your multi-touch sea legs, what gestures do you think Palm should add for those who have mastered the basics and want more functionality?

    Personally, I have a few slightly odd, but creative requests:

    - Two finger swipe up from gesture area should open card view in the zoomed out view, so if you have many apps open you can see more of them at a glance.

    - Holding a finger in the gesture area and swiping another finger over text should select the text, enabling cut/copy/paste without opening the keyboard.

    - A bit wacky (but based in Palm tradition), but we should be able to set special triggers for dragging two fingers across the screen from each cardinal direction, which would open an app (or jump to its primary open card if its already running) of our choosing: For example, I could set Email to a two finger swipe across the screen from left to right, and then from any app I could instantly jump to Email or open an Email card by performing that swipe. (Yes, I know QL has the same functionality, but QL is slower than a single swipe, and there are apps I want instant access to but don't use often enough to dedicate a QL spot to - Evernote, Camera, Luna Manager, etc.)

    I'm sure that people will think some of those are a bit wacky, but they're just my suggestions, what ideas do you guys have?
    I completely agree with and like ur cut/copy/paste suggestion. I like Spooke's idea too. And how about this: Make it so anybody can create their OWN gestures so they're more personalized. There should be "an app for that".
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 10/26/2009 at 07:41 AM.
  4. #4  
    Press center button while tapping gesture area to close app
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Press center button while tapping gesture area to close app
    Why d hell would you wanna do all that, when you could just flick it up?
  6. #6  
    So i dont have to minimize apps to close them and it isnt anymore work the button and gesture area are together so it could all be done with one finger
  7. #7  
    I don't even press the center button unless an app freezes
  8. Libb's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    So i dont have to minimize apps to close them and it isnt anymore work the button and gesture area are together so it could all be done with one finger
    That's the biggest problem with that gesture - my fingers are big enough that I generally brush the gesture area when I click the center button. Since the button is not touch-sensitive (and thus the Pre couldn't tell that I'm touching both the center button and the gesture area with the same finger), that means that it would consider my accidentally touching the gesture area performing your gesture.

    How about double-tapping the center button? It's harder to perform accidentally, and make more sense contextually (one click zooms out to card view, two clicks closes the current app entirely).
  9. #9  
    One thing I would like to see in connection with advanced gesturing is when you're swiping between apps in full-screen view (not card view) using the full left-right or right-left swipe gesture, is app-wrapping. Instead of getting to the end of the running apps and stopping, it should cycle back to the opposite end of the list and let you keep swiping.

    For example.. if I had three apps running and I was using the full-screen swipe to go through them, it would go app1-app2-app3 and then stop, the next swipe results in a bump-like animation indicating I've reached the end of the list. I'd love it if it would go app1-app2-app3-app1-app2.. and vice versa for the opposite direction.
  10. #10  
    I want something to make cut and paste easier like the iPhone way of doing it.

    You press to activate the cursor and then something like this appears |----| Then you press on one of the end pieces and drag it to where you want it. Then "cut copy" appears.
    Then you press again somewhere and "paste" appears.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    One thing I would like to see in connection with advanced gesturing is when you're swiping between apps in full-screen view (not card view) using the full left-right or right-left swipe gesture, is app-wrapping. Instead of getting to the end of the running apps and stopping, it should cycle back to the opposite end of the list and let you keep swiping.

    For example.. if I had three apps running and I was using the full-screen swipe to go through them, it would go app1-app2-app3 and then stop, the next swipe results in a bump-like animation indicating I've reached the end of the list. I'd love it if it would go app1-app2-app3-app1-app2.. and vice versa for the opposite direction.
    I agree! This would be a great addition, and shouldnt be that difficult for palm to implement.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  12. Libb's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
    I want something to make cut and paste easier like the iPhone way of doing it.

    You press to activate the cursor and then something like this appears |----| Then you press on one of the end pieces and drag it to where you want it. Then "cut copy" appears.
    Then you press again somewhere and "paste" appears.
    In playing around with the iPhone OS 3.0 solution on my Touch, I find it detecting my slow-dragging to scroll as cut/copy/paste initialization more often than it should. (Which is even more annoying on my device than most because I have a MS plug-in running that enables more functions to show up in the little command pop-up.) Granted, I probably shouldn't be just slowly pulling the page along to read it as I scroll it, but the fact that the heuristics on that gesture are tweaked high enough for me to notice that make me nervous to overload simple tapping and swiping on the screen. Plus, I feel that the reason Palm implemented the gesture area was to focus the screen on simple navigation and leave more complex maneuvers to the gesture area.

    Gesture area + swipe eliminates the need for heuristics that may or may not work for every user, and fits contextually with the shortcuts for CCP, although since you won't have the keyboard available if you're doing this with it closed, a shortcut method to call CCP would be convenient. Maybe Gesture + swipe to select, and then a Sym-key-style pop-up offers CCP commands?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    One thing I would like to see in connection with advanced gesturing is when you're swiping between apps in full-screen view (not card view) using the full left-right or right-left swipe gesture, is app-wrapping. Instead of getting to the end of the running apps and stopping, it should cycle back to the opposite end of the list and let you keep swiping.

    For example.. if I had three apps running and I was using the full-screen swipe to go through them, it would go app1-app2-app3 and then stop, the next swipe results in a bump-like animation indicating I've reached the end of the list. I'd love it if it would go app1-app2-app3-app1-app2.. and vice versa for the opposite direction.
    Good idea. Two
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post

    - Holding a finger in the gesture area and swiping another finger over text should select the text, enabling cut/copy/paste without opening the keyboard.
    Excellent idea! Why didn't Palm think of that?
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    Excellent idea! Why didn't Palm think of that?
    Probably for the same reason they left out a whole bunch of other useful features.
  16. #16  
    I think that should replace the "There's an App for That" slogan. It should be: "Why Didn't Palm Think of That?"
  17. worthb's Avatar
    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #17  
    In the browser, I'd like a two-finger scroll up or scroll down (in main window, not in gesture area) to take you all the way to top or bottom of document, so that you don't have to scroll over and over when you have a long document open and want to get to navigation controls or menus at the top or bottom of the document.
    LaunchPoint Speed Dial - There's no faster way to dial, email, or text, period.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by worthb View Post
    In the browser, I'd like a two-finger scroll up or scroll down (in main window, not in gesture area) to take you all the way to top or bottom of document, so that you don't have to scroll over and over when you have a long document open and want to get to navigation controls or menus at the top or bottom of the document.
    Translucent scrollbars would be nice for that, if they only appear when ur finger's at the right or bottom edge of the screen. "Why Didn't Palm Think of That"?
  19. #19  
    Optional Graffiti 1. {Jonathan}
  20. #20  
    I would like to see some of the old Graffiti area gestures reinstated. Not Graffiti itself (though that would be kind of cool), but various commands accessed by holding one finger on the gesture area and then performing a swipe of a particular shape on the main screen. One could imagine various menu commands being initiated this way, and probably some OS commands too. The only problem with this is that it isn't very intuitive (it makes the user work to learn the gestures).

    I would also like to see the four quick launch icons change to four other icons when holding the gesture area (like the overloading on the Treo buttons).

    Potential to make it faster and easier to do things is immense--I just don't know if Palm will want to go there because of the learning curve factor. It certainly shouldn't be on their list of priorities right now.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions