Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Anyone else noticed this?

Trying to figure if its just for my operator so that it might due to the fact they are using different names for 2G and 3G.

Im still hooked up to the same operator all the time but since they use quite a different naming when in 3G I thought that it might confuse my Pre to display the Roaming instead of just 3G?

2G operator name "Telia"
    3G operator name "Sweden 3G Telia"
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Anyone else noticed this?

Trying to figure if its just for my operator so that it might due to the fact they are using different names for 2G and 3G.

Im still hooked up to the same operator all the time but since they use quite a different naming when in 3G I thought that it might confuse my Pre to display the Roaming instead of just 3G?

2G operator name "Telia"
    3G operator name "Sweden 3G Telia"
    Hi,

do you get the R when you manually switch to 2G as well?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irifan View Post
    Hi,

do you get the R when you manually switch to 2G as well?
    No its just with 3G so not visible when in manual 2G or when auto switching to 2G.
    Should you just not turn off "roaming" in phone settings?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex View Post
    Should you just not turn off "roaming" in phone settings?
    I've tried that but then youtube suggests I turn on wifi as I've got no internet connection, its a bit strange because email and browsing works fine.
    Hi Andreas,

Did you ever work out the Roaming issue? I just started using Telia (I'm in Sweden too) and it's the same for me.

The 3G icon pops up to the left of the R icon when I enable data roaming (which, in turn, enables me to surf, etc.)
    Last edited by steveaw; 02/02/2010 at 03:18 AM.
    I'm on Tele2 as well as Telia and my Pre thinks it is roaming when on 3G too.

This issue is not limited to the pre with Tele2, but shows up on the HTC tytnII and, not at all as frequently, on the Treo Pro.

I grew tired of the "R" stealing space to no use, so I made a patch to hide it. I won't know when I'm roaming (other than looking at the carrier name), but since it is ALWAYS roaming it doesn't make a difference.
    This has been reported elsewhere (eg the carrier Telstra in Australia). The display of "3G" and "R" when you are in your home carrier's area probably means that you have an GSM 850/2100Mhz phone in a 900/1900 or 900/2100 area (or vice versa). I suggest you check out the exact specs for your Pre model (P100ueu?) against your carrier's frequency list.
    I just checked. Telia's (and Tele2's) net frequency is 900/1800Mhz
    OS claims that their operating frequencies are 900MHz, 1800MHz and 2100MHz in all relevant countries. I have no idea what bas frequency the Palm uses but it seems like an odd error.

Oh, and yes I have a nice R as well when I turn on 3G which I don't do unless I plan to do a lot of surfing, i.e. not too often
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Yes, think ive figured it out. Telia don't own its own 3G licence so they share the net with another operator. (think its Tele2 actually).

I seldom run mine in 3G though as its pretty bad coverage were I live. Plus it saves battery sticking with 2G.