1.    #1  
    Has anybody else noticed that a good number of ppl seem to not understand how to rate an App Catalog app with the stars? I'll see ppl leave a review of how great the app was, but give it zero stars - or even say in the review they are giving it five stars, but they really gave it zero! That affects the overall rating of the app - not if just one or two ppl out of many do it, but a lot of ppl do it.

Of course, I also have seen way too many ppl blame Palm and Sprint for bad apps or lack of good apps....
    Yep, my app (Dealert) has had this problem. I would have a 4.5 star rating, but I am forced at a 4 star due to people mis-using the rating system.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    I like when they rate the apps zero stars because they don't have enough memory on their device to install them and seem unable to realize that this isn't the apps fault.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I like when they rate the apps zero stars because they don't have enough memory on their device to install them and seem unable to realize that this isn't the apps fault.
    I've heard from Chuq that he's been working to remove those kind of reviews as they aren't relevant to the app itself. But it's 1 man against an army of crappy reviewers so it takes him some time to get to them - but I have seen him remove irrelevant reviews from my apps.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I feel the review system will be abused.

Can you leave a review without evening getting the app?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripcode View Post
    Can you leave a review without evening getting the app?
    Nope
    I'd like to see some independent companies just make it their business to review apps. And have apps stores run those instead or along with user reviews (which are pretty useless).
    My complaint is that an app with 8 5 star average rating is higher than an app with 50 4 star average...thus, making it hard to see which apps are really 'popular'
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    I think you have to look at the demographics of the Pre to understand the ratings mistakes. I have seen a lot of reviewers give an app zero stars just because they thought "it should be free like the iphone".

Its very sad but judging by what we see here at Precentral.net the average Pre user is about 14-18 years old and they are mostly upset because their mommies did not buy them an iphone instead.

I'm glad to see that the market for the pre is much wider than it ever was for the Treo, but I am sad to see how impatient, bratty and unintelligent today's younger generation really is. I know there are lots of exceptions to that statement and some will flame, but I just call em the way I see them.
    Last edited by rc46; 10/26/2009 at 10:02 AM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I've been dealing with the same thing with my app (Habla!). People say how fantastic the app is, but fail to give it stars.

The only review that really perturbed me was the person that gave it 1 star, but left no comment so I don't even know what his issue was with the app, or if it was indeed a valid review.

Oh well.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I hope Palm will correct rating system before App Catalog gets out of Beta. My suggestions:
    1. Review with no star should be rejected by the system, i.e. at least one star should be granted. (With default contents of 'stars field' being zero, it would force absent-minded reviewers to enter something in this field.)
    2. Rating without some text comment/explanation is useless for both developers and potential buyers/downloaders. It should not be allowed.
    3. I don't see the reason for anonymous ratings - especially those without any explanations. They should be restricted or eliminated. (I don't care if somebody was in bad mood if he/she didn't care to explain.)

All points above assume that rating system is supposed to help two groups of people:
    - Developers, by providing useful feedback
    - User, by helping them to choose quality apps they need
    Right now, it mainly works as conduit for venting emotions...
    Quote Originally Posted by jaroslawk View Post
    I hope Palm will correct rating system before App Catalog gets out of Beta. My suggestions:
    1. Review with no star should be rejected by the system, i.e. at least one star should be granted. (With default contents of 'stars field' being zero, it would force absent-minded reviewers to enter something in this field.)
    2. Rating without some text comment/explanation is useless for both developers and potential buyers/downloaders. It should not be allowed.
    3. I don't see the reason for anonymous ratings - especially those without any explanations. They should be restricted or eliminated. (I don't care if somebody was in bad mood if he/she didn't care to explain.)

All points above assume that rating system is supposed to help two groups of people:
    - Developers, by providing useful feedback
    - User, by helping them to choose quality apps they need
    Right now, it mainly works as conduit for venting emotions...

I think your first suggestion has the best chance of making it. The others are good but might create customer backlash and reduce the number of reviews.
    I haven't looked at it today, but I read reviews yesterday for the app GoodMuslim, people were rating the app low, and in the comments - degrading Islam as a religion, and muslim people.

People's personal religious bigotries have nothing to do with the app. They were saying the app sucked based on the fact that it was tied to a religion they don't like.

That was just ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    I haven't looked at it today, but I read reviews yesterday for the app GoodMuslim, people were rating the app low, and in the comments - degrading Islam as a religion, and muslim people.

People's personal religious bigotries have nothing to do with the app. They were saying the app sucked based on the fact that it was tied to a religion they don't like.

If it isn't in there already, the app catalog agreement should have a blurb about keeping reviews free of bigotry/racism/vulgarities/etc. If a user violates that, the app developer, or even other users, should be able to report reviews and have that user banned from leaving reviews (maybe after a warning).
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I think you have to look at the demographics of the Pre to understand the ratings mistakes. I have seen a lot of reviewers give an app zero stars just because they thought "it should be free like the iphone".

Its very sad but judging by what we see here at Precentral.net the average Pre user is about 14-18 years old and they are mostly upset because their mommies did not buy them an iphone instead.

I'm glad to see that the market for the pre is much wider than it ever was for the Treo, but I am sad to see how impatient, bratty and unintelligent today's younger generation really is. I know there are lots of exceptions to that statement and some will flame, but I just call em the way I see them.
    i completely agree. +1
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    That is damm ridiculous.

Whoever the frick was doing that probably calls themselves a Christian. For them, I'd recommend watching a couple of Ahmed Deedat's debates on YouTube, like with Jimmy Swaggart, Anis Shorrosh, Eric Bock, etc. Those are the three I've seen, and they provide a nice mix of various forms of Christianity (protestant evangelist, evangilist convert from Judaism, Catholic priest) versus Islam. It's a real eye-opener... that's all I've gotta say before I get even more off-topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    That is damm ridiculous.

Whoever the frick was doing that probably calls themselves a Christian. For them, I'd ...
    You sir, are now just as bad as the person rating the app based on it's religion. I won't go on to ridicule you like any other self-respecting person would, but it's clear that your post reflects the EXACT SAME prejudice and distaste that you think is "damm ridiculous" (incapable of even spelling your cuss words?)

You're a disgrace to this community and your religious intolerance is telling. Please refrain from posting again in this manner.
    @Phenoum I may be wrong, but I took it as grndlsm was saying that they label themselves as that in order to be rude or obnoxious, the same kind that cheer when gays get rocks thrown at them.
    <<closed>>

Take your OT discussion to OT.
    If you want to exchange insults, take it to PM.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.