1.    #1  
    Activating Palm Pre on AT&T

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    He's got some bubbles under the screen protector of the EU GSM pre.
  3.    #3  
    I think he didnīt fit it right
    If you look at the top you can see the pull off tab that clearly indicates that its the one that comes on the pre and not meant to stay.
    So Say We All
  5.    #5  
    I see thanks
    The back of his phone is different than mine. Is it a GSM?
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenlkl@yahoo.com View Post
    The back of his phone is different than mine. Is it a GSM?
    Really?
    So Say We All
    but the question is, does it have 3g?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by spectralfish View Post
    but the question is, does it have 3g?
    O2 germany is a 3g since 2004

O2 - Archived press releases - O2 Germany launches 3G and unveils plans for unique mobile broadband service for the home

So, the Pre GSM for germany O2 carrier is a 3G version and this is the device which are selling in the USA., expansysusa.
    The Pre in the video is a German Pre (you can see the qwertz keyboard at one point) and the fact that it can be used on AT&T has been known for quite some time.
    There is at least one person here who is using a GSM Pre on AT&T, unfortunately he hasn't been able to get it to work with 3G, just EDGE.
    what's the point? Might as well get the Iphone if you are stuck with AT&T. I agree the Pre is the best phone I've ever owned but still the selection of apps for the iphone is untouchable (for now).
    Quote Originally Posted by faderrific View Post
    what's the point? Might as well get the Iphone if you are stuck with AT&T. I agree the Pre is the best phone I've ever owned but still the selection of apps for the iphone is untouchable (for now).
    I am 'stuck' with AT&T but refuse to buy an iPhone. Not least, because it negates the major advantage that AT&T has for me over Verizon & Sprint, the ability to use unlocked phones that work with any SIM in North America and Europe. Most AT&T phones are global models that will work in any country with GSM including the iPhone. Unfortuately, the one phone AT&T will not unlock on request is the iPhone.

Palm seems to have gone Apple on us with the Pre. Previous models were available in unlocked GSM versions. The Pro even has tri-band 3G. With the Pre, you have to import a grey market German version with a weird keyboard that only works on Edge in the US. I may as well stick with my GSM Centro (which in fact is what I am doing).
    Quote Originally Posted by faderrific View Post
    There is a point. I'm on AT&T and don't plan on switching to Sprint or Verizon. I also had someone offer to buy me a Iphone 3Gs and I turned it down. Palm's WebOs devices offer a keyboard and that's what I want instead of a virtual keyboard.

Secondly, for myself I couldn't give a flip about apps. But Palm is releasing a slew of apps on a weekly basis so I'm not too concerned about the lack of apps. Others maybe but if that is the case you're not looking at WebOs at this point so what's the point of mentioning apps if you've done your homework?

But the fact of the matter is that AT&T lags behind Verizon and Sprint in offering the new smartphones, i.e. WebOs and Android.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Isn't the problem that Europe doesn't necessarily use the same 3G frequencies as AT&T and TMobile use in the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Palm seems to have gone Apple on us with the Pre. Previous models were available in unlocked GSM versions. The Pro even has tri-band 3G. With the Pre, you have to import a grey market German version with a weird keyboard that only works on Edge in the US. I may as well stick with my GSM Centro (which in fact is what I am doing).
    I'm sure Palm is waiting for their contract to run out with Sprint before they're allowed to sell unlocked GSM phones in the US.
    I still don't get why you'd want to switch to AT&T.

Isn't AT&T a good deal more expensive each month?
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    Isn't the problem that Europe doesn't necessarily use the same 3G frequencies as AT&T and TMobile use in the US?
    I believe the Treo Pro supports enough 3G frequencies to work correctly on the AT&T network and on the European networks. The GSM Pre appears to have an inferior 3G radio.
    I'm locked in on a family plan so i can't switch to use sprint. I as really hoping European GSM pre s could work on AT&T 3g. But i guess not. Now i can only hope that Palm will release a high end webOS device on AT&T in 2010.