1.    #1  
    On the home screen in the upper left corner it says "Sprint" unless I'm in Airplane Mode. But the few times I've gone roaming, I've noticed it still says "Sprint". Does the Pre not show the actual network you're using? That is not good 'cause sometimes the price of the call depends on the network, like when you're cruising. If you're on the cruise ship's "Cellular at Sea", it is gonna cost ya. But, if you're on land in, say, a U.S. territory, but the ship accidentally leaves its cell tower on, you need to know where your call is being routed to so you don't go broke by accidentally being on the ship's tower!
    Even if you set the phone on sprint only in the phone preferences?

I hope that is only on automatic
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    It always shows Sprint, regardless if you're roaming or not.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    it may always say sprint but as of roaming you should not have to worry. all the plans that the phone can be put on include unlimited roaming in the US. if by chance you are going on a cruise and are using their towers while on the boat yes there may be a charge there, however the phone defaults to its perferred roaming list and will find the best tower near you at the lowest coast to sprint. and the cruise towers are high cost so if a better tower is nearby it will connect to that one first.
    the only time it will change is if you are roaming internationally, then itl say "International"
    There is a patch where it will change the carrier string to whatever your WIFI SSID is if you're interested in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by toekneehair View Post
    it may always say sprint but as of roaming you should not have to worry. all the plans that the phone can be put on include unlimited roaming in the US. if by chance you are going on a cruise and are using their towers while on the boat yes there may be a charge there, however the phone defaults to its perferred roaming list and will find the best tower near you at the lowest coast to sprint. and the cruise towers are high cost so if a better tower is nearby it will connect to that one first.
    They say its free but roaming will use your minutes!!!!! Not the free with no charge at all -- making a call while roaming will use up your minutes.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wburleson View Post
    They say its free but roaming will use your minutes!!!!! Not the free with no charge at all -- making a call while roaming will use up your minutes.
    true very true. no arguement there but thats why you have minutes on your plan correct? to use up. and seeing now that you have unlimited mobile to mobile with all cell phone carriers your minute usage should be sugnificantly reduced. (not counting the minutes when roaming. roaming does not include mobile to mobile.) now if your roaming all the time that is an issue all its own but its rare to be roaming that much. it will always pull the sprint network first when available.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by toekneehair View Post
    Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way. I read many posts on a cruise message board from folks whose phones were picking up the ship's tower instead of the land tower after they got off the ship. My guess is because it was already connected to that tower, so it will stay connected until it is too weak.

But, yes, the cruise towers are well over $2/min. for calls! You definitely want to be sure you are not using that tower if you're on land.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    the only time it will change is if you are roaming internationally, then itl say "International"
    Great, thanks! I haven't yet gone int'l with my Pre. I will miss seeing the exact name of the carrier, though - I always found that interesting for some odd reason, LOL.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by wburleson View Post
    Of course it uses your minutes. And I believe (without checking - I'm too tired right now) they say something like "roaming included", not "free roaming". But pre-free roaming, if you made a call while off-network, you had to pay extra money per minute. That's what free roaming is - no extra charges.