Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Launch day Pre here.
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    Perhaps this thread can answer my question... I've had my (first) Pre for 2 weeks now and have found that the slider is getting looser and looser. It wasn't a problem at first and knew about the Oreo effect and was prepared to live with a little wiggle, but it's gotten to the point where it is so loose that it almost rattles against my face when on a call. It also has gotten so loose that I can easily flip up the phone with my thumb with little pressure.

I realize that as you use the phone, the rails will get some wear and become easier for the phone to glide on, but to the point of rattling? There is about a 2mm side to side movement for the 'oreo' effect, but the slider actually being SO loose is really bugging me. Is this normal for a Pre that has been used for a while? Since I've only had mine 2 weeks it's making me worry and thinking I should get it exchanged before the 30 days runs out. But I don't want to exchange it if this is simply how the phone is supposed to feel eventually (which I hope isn't the case).

Anyone who's been using the Pre for a while care to offer their opinion and suggestions?
    I appreciate it!
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I'd call the 2mm movement totally normal... Its a slider that's kind of how they are. It shouldn't rattle at all though... If you dial ##786# you can check if they gave you a refurbished phone just read the info though don't mess with the menus or options.

I'm not sure how to fix the rattle I haven't had a reason to take mine apart yet... There's likely a how to though since its probably the slider portion you could just tighten the screws and if that doesn't fix it then take it back.
    Launch day pre. Wrapped in an invisible shield, full silicone cover, side loading leather case. I take care of my phones, they never seem to have mechanical malfunctions.
    I am with my 1st pre as well! Got it 1 week post launch day.
    Happy as a clam. No battery/oreo/or other issues.
    My phones usually last me ~ 2 yrs. I carry mine in the palm case on my belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Perhaps this thread can answer my question... I've had my (first) Pre for 2 weeks now and have found that the slider is getting looser and looser. It wasn't a problem at first and knew about the Oreo effect and was prepared to live with a little wiggle, but it's gotten to the point where it is so loose that it almost rattles against my face when on a call. It also has gotten so loose that I can easily flip up the phone with my thumb with little pressure.

I realize that as you use the phone, the rails will get some wear and become easier for the phone to glide on, but to the point of rattling? There is about a 2mm side to side movement for the 'oreo' effect, but the slider actually being SO loose is really bugging me. Is this normal for a Pre that has been used for a while? Since I've only had mine 2 weeks it's making me worry and thinking I should get it exchanged before the 30 days runs out. But I don't want to exchange it if this is simply how the phone is supposed to feel eventually (which I hope isn't the case).

Anyone who's been using the Pre for a while care to offer their opinion and suggestions?
    I appreciate it!
    well, i'm on a launch pre here in Canada and have had the phone for a few months now. I don't have the oreo or wiggle really and i've been using it for close to 4 months now. I don't think progressive looseness of the slider is normal.. at least not in my case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Same here. Have my first Pre and other than a little twist, it works great. Went to deep in the code and had to "Doc" the phone twice. No big deal. Got a Leather "pocket" case and keep the phone in my left front pants pocket always with the face of the phone against my leg. Have done that with all models of Palm I have owned over the years. My last one the Palm 700wx is 3 years old beat to hell and still works today. Heck, the keys are worn and the silver shell is clear in most spots since the color has worn off.
    Ballsy.

The Pre is no Treo, by any means, when it comes to durability.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I still have my 1st Pre, since Aug. Can I first ask this question, So when you say you have the oreo is it really the top end or just the large spec'd rail at the bottem? My slider is a little loose at the bottom of the phone, but that is simply going stop to stop on the rail. I had the oreo effect once when I put on a hard case. The top end of the phone moved very far but I was able to slide it back in place. I also have one dead pixel, which only I can find.
    Launch Pre here, slight oreo effect, and the coat on my center button has chipped off. =/
    I wish I could say that I had my first pre. I had to get a new one a week after getting the phone due to defects. But, I haven't had any problems since then. And might I add I love my pre.:-)
    3 Pre's since June, 1 was replaced in Aug. due to a power button failure, since then no problems like oreo effect, cracked screens or slow running OS (2 have Preware and patches), all 3 users very happy!
    On my 2nd & need a third. First one the power button broke & know I have the infamous crack from the USB port and it has reached about 2mm into the screen. Yuck! Still love the phone... WebOs rocks!!
    If my Pre twists its gon be a problem. Replace it now... lol
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Original July 09 Pre. Touchstone back and otherwise nakid. Just use the little Palm cloth sleeping bag. Always had a slight wiggle to the slider from day one, but still going strong.

I keep it in my right front pocket by itself.
    Same Pre since June 15, no troubles, loving every minute !

Merry Xmas
    Same here. Same Pre since mid June and still going strong without a replacement. Should I feel like a sucker for having bought the insurance?
  17. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    Still on my first Pre. Wish i was like everyone else and had to return my Pre multiple times . You guys are so lucky have to be able to get a new Pre every time you "find" a "defect". Question which pocket do you put your Pre in and which pocket do you place you iphone in?
    Of course! Because it didn't happen to you, it must not have happened to anyone else, or their reasons for exchanging are invalid. Your logic is cutting edge.

Personally, I've had to exchange 2 devices; the first had the power button fail, and the first replacement had an issue with the microphone preventing folks from hearing me on the other line. My significant other needs to have her first replacement replaced due to the power button failing.

Of course, this isn't to say that the hardware issues are widespread, but they do exist. Even a few of the P|C staff have had to get their Pres replaced.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Of course! Because it didn't happen to you, it must not have happened to anyone else, or their reasons for exchanging are invalid. Your logic is cutting edge.

Personally, I've had to exchange 2 devices; the first had the power button fail, and the first replacement had an issue with the microphone preventing folks from hearing me on the other line. My significant other needs to have her first replacement replaced due to the power button failing.

Of course, this isn't to say that the hardware issues are widespread, but they do exist. Even a few of the P|C staff have had to get their Pres replaced.
    i agree with you.
    i think you're reading too much between the lines
    Original quote by DarthRepublican:
    Same here. Same Pre since mid June and still going strong without a replacement. Should I feel like a sucker for having bought the insurance?
    Like all insurance, it's for peace of mind. If everyone was actually replacing their Pres, the insurance cost would have to go up. Instead, they've actually came up with other policies for less cost. I understand that there is now a policy for just device issues. In other words, not for loss or user caused damage (Pre takes a bath). I hear that it's only $4, but I'll keep the full service until June or July when I can get a new Pre. I understand that Premier customers get to upgrade every 12 months.

Unlike OP, who I know is being facetious, I feel incredibly lucky to not have all of the issues I hear about from other users. I'm thinking that it's the old 80/20 rule; that you hear more from the people with trouble than the people w/o trouble and that the 20% or less who have all the trouble take 90% or more of the boss' time or Palm techs attention.

Anyway Merry Christmas fellow WebOS users.
    still on my first one.. launch day in canada, right at 9 am.. lol.. possibly the first one in canada.. still going strong..
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast