Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I will be getting my PRE soon. I have just heard that Palm automatically syncs your contacts. If this is true, I would prefer not to have my info on one of their servers. So, if it is true, does anyone know how to prevent this. I plan on syncing with outlook/pocket mirror.
    It will either back up on PALM, or you can back up on Google - both sadly are public servers and neither can gtd the security - its the single number 1 thing i hate most about my PRE
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
  3.    #3  
    I have a hard time believing that you and I are the only ones out there thinking this is not right. We should at least have an option to allow Palm to back up our data. I don't want my data sitting on a public server that may or may not be secure.
    get another phone
    PROS: If I crash or trash my Pre, Palm has a backup for me to restore.

CONS: An unscrupulous person could access all of my contacts/etc. without my knowledge or permission.

I would rather not let other people have access to all of my info. Having said that, it all comes down to whether you are willing to trust Pre and Sprint with your stuff.
    Well, I believe Palm only syncs Contacts which are created with the Palm Profile account. And, I believe you can turn off Backup (just check the Backup app).

Having said that, I'm surprised you don't want some sort of backup?
    I could be wrong, but don't all of the sync solutions create their own separate profiles on the device? So after you install something like The Missing Sync it creates another profile in the list, you can just set that as the default before copying and contacts over.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    It honestly cracks me up that so many people think someone out there wants to know who their facebook friends are and what apps are installed on their phone. How important do you think you are that someone is gonna hack palm and give a crap about YOUR data. You aren't Paris Hilton or some other "celeb". Seriously, stop worrying. That being said, sure it COULD HAPPEN, but it probably wouldn't matter to us normal people.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabear View Post
    I have a hard time believing that you and I are the only ones.....
    You're not the only ones, but you're in a small group.

As I see it, there are basically three groups:

People who simply don't care because there's no reason to be concerned that somebody might find out who their facebook friends are. Remember that we're only talking about PIM information, and not sensitive data that could be used for identity theft and what no. (Biggest group by far I would guess)

People who do care, and did their research before getting themselves tied to a smartphone that would cost many hundreds of dollars to replace with a different device. (No idea how big this group is, since they didn't buy a Pre)

People who do care, but didn't bother to find out how the Palm Pre handled PIM information before buying one. (no offense intended) Very few people would ever be concerned about a security or privacy problem with a password protected online address book, given that practically everybody has at least one, if not MANY such accounts online these days anyway. If you do care about such a thing, it's only reasonable to expect that you'd check that sort of thing before buying.
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    I could be wrong, but don't all of the sync solutions create their own separate profiles on the device? So after you install something like The Missing Sync it creates another profile in the list, you can just set that as the default before copying and contacts over.
    Right ... I haven't played with any of the local/PC backup solutions (I think Google is way too easy to bother with any of that). But all of the contacts are based around "accounts", and where they come from (and go to) depends on what account created them (the default account if they're actually created on the Pre). So, I assume the PC sync software must have some sort of account it creates and uses.
    I will be getting my PRE soon. I have just heard that Palm automatically syncs your contacts. If this is true, I would prefer not to have my info on one of their servers. So, if it is true, does anyone know how to prevent this. I plan on syncing with outlook/pocket mirror.
    After you install PocketMirror, on your Pre set the default Calendar and default Contacts account to be the Outlook one that PocketMirror creates. That way any new contact or calendar event you create will automatically be sync'd with Outlook via PocketMirror.

More info here
  12.    #12  
    Does setting Outlook as the default prevent Palm from syncing my contacts and calendar info as part of the Palm Profile???
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I also think that if you have an issue with this now you will probably wind up not owning any PC or access the Internet at some point in the future! The cloud is the way of the future, so I would recommend you come to grips with this as the Pre is only the beginning!

Bill Gates thinks that at some point we will no longer have "PC's" as they are know today, only monitors with a network connection (wired or wireless) and our operating system will simply be a VM connection to our "profile" in the cloud. No more reinstalling or updates locally...everything is stored on a nameless public server.

Does that make you uncomfortable? It's a ways away, but so was today's technology when it was 1983 (TCP/IP) and the internet was simply a discussion over a cup of Folgers coffee at Perkins...(note I did not say a mocha at Starbucks...amazing how things change!)
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Does setting Outlook as the default prevent Palm from syncing my contacts and calendar info as part of the Palm Profile???
    No, turn off the backup app for that. Pretty simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by mejifair View Post
    Bill Gates thinks that at some point we will no longer have "PC's" as they are know today, only monitors with a network connection (wired or wireless) and our operating system will simply be a VM connection to our "profile" in the cloud. No more reinstalling or updates locally...everything is stored on a nameless public server.
    Hey... that was my idea first!!

Actually, I'd like to see where Bill Gates thinks that his data will be stored on a "nameless public server". I'd really like to see that actually. He'd be backing that sheet up on a PRIVATE server, just like I would. It's been quite obvious for more than half a decade that your smartphone will replace your PC at some point in the future. It's also only logical that your entire family's data be stored on a "family server", which would be private. Whether you're limited to 1gb of storage on the phone, 4gb, or 120gb... chances are that's not enough, and you'll figure out a way to integrate your frontend (smartphone) with your backend (family server, NAS, MythTV, Orb, or whatever). 8gb of storage is plenty when you figure all that stuff out. You can stream, search your entire 100gb collection of music files without actually needing them all on your phone at the same time.

Welcome to THE PRESENT. This stuff isn't even futuristic speak... it's simply understanding the relationship between server and client.
    Very interesting point.

First of all its important to remind everyone that Palm thought about security and for this reason, all the user's data profile is encrypted and no one can have access to it, including Palm. Only you and the security system.

Should I trust on Palm? Maybe more than my bank manager, who has the internal power to share and check my personal details for "maintenance and improvement of new services, under the data protection".

For this reason I suggest my friends to read about the product, query services and features before buying them.
    Pedro

"Maybe The 1st Portuguese Citizen with a Palm Pre"
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    @VeeDubb65 - Actually there is a fourth group - those of us that do care, did the research before getting the phone, and got the phone anyway but choose not to back up to Palm's server. (Obviously I'm in that group) I sync my data with Outlook and back up my computer, so I have no worries about losing my contacts or calendar. The only thing I can think of that's stored solely on my phone are my texts, and I could care less if I lose those.

@grndslm - It's not obvious to me that smart phones will ever replace computers. Sure, for people who don't do much other than check their email and look at facebook, that's a possibility. But many of us do a lot more than that. As a photographer I need a large, color-calibrated monitor, a fast processor, lots of memory and LOTS of storage. When a smart phone comes out with at least 1TB of storage, 6GB of RAM, an extremely fast processor and some sort of color accurate screen that enlarges to at least 13 inches (bare minimum), then sure, it can replace my computer.

To the OP - You're fine with getting the phone, turning off backup and using pocket mirror. You won't be alone in it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flur View Post
    @grndslm - It's not obvious to me that smart phones will ever replace computers. Sure, for people who don't do much other than check their email and look at facebook, that's a possibility. But many of us do a lot more than that. As a photographer I need a large, color-calibrated monitor, a fast processor, lots of memory and LOTS of storage. When a smart phone comes out with at least 1TB of storage, 6GB of RAM, an extremely fast processor and some sort of color accurate screen that enlarges to at least 13 inches (bare minimum), then sure, it can replace my computer.
    Who said your smartphone would be limited to a 3" screen and a 3" keyboard?? Wouldn't it also be obvious that with a true OS foundation -- Linux, WebOS... you'll be able to attach (actually you won't need to attach anything to anything because this is the future, and everything's all wireless). Your "desktop" will consist of a monitor, keyboard, mouse, or whatever.... all connected to your PC, which would be your smartphone. Your "laptop" will consist of a monitor, keyboard, touchpad, etc.... all wirelessly connected to that smartphone in your pocket. There's nothing an old skool PC wil be able to do in the future that a smartphone can't. Not a thing.

And I already got thru explaining how you can have 1 TB of storage on your phone today. If your family server (backend) has a 1 TB SSD, you could easily access all that information at the speed of light with wifi... or only a couple seconds longer with EVDO or WiMax.

Your thoughts are only limited by your own imagination.
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    It honestly cracks me up that so many people think someone out there wants to know who their facebook friends are and what apps are installed on their phone. How important do you think you are that someone is gonna hack palm and give a crap about YOUR data. You aren't Paris Hilton or some other "celeb". Seriously, stop worrying. That being said, sure it COULD HAPPEN, but it probably wouldn't matter to us normal people.
    It has nothing to do with that at all .. It has to do with people storing names, addresses, phone numbers, dates of birth, email addresses etc,business/corporate information .. through FB contacts they can suddenly have your friends, neighbors, family ... its all personal information that identity thieves care about.

I work as a fraud analyst, trust me .. they DO want that info and thats why backing your personal information up on the web is a concern
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
    Yea, I think Synergy and Palm's backup are great!!!

But all that schtuff should have been thought about from a real security standpoint. Palm did lose a lot of its roots when it picked up some of these Apple guys. I hope they do provide a more refined wifi backup solution very quickly, since they think USB is going the way of the dodo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast