Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I've been mildly annoyed that the web launcher only displays 12 large links. Sure, you can get to a list of your other bookmarks by clicking upper left corner and then selecting "bookmarks", but by then you're like, three or four clicks in, just to get a damn bookmark.

In another thread, I said wouldn't it be nice if there were a patch to bypass the web launch page, and just go right to the bookmarks list from the globe icon. Well, with the help of another couple of patches, I got a workable alternative.

I ran the "add more pages" patch, and added another launch page. I also ran the 4x4 display patch. That and the 4x5 are excellent! So glad to have them.

One of the great things about Web OS is the ability to add bookmarks and contacts to your launch page. So I've dedicated one whole page just to contacts and bookmarks. I don't know how long it can be, if there's any limit at the bottom, but so far I'm very happy with it.

If you go to a link and hit the "back" arrow, it will still take you to the dumb web launch page. But other than that, I no longer use the web launcher at all, I access bookmarks only from this bookmark-dedicated app launcher page now.

Check out the attached jpg, so far I've got one contact on there, but I think I'll be adding a few more of my frequent contacts. So this is sort of my combination quick dial / web links page.

I know this isn't the most innovative solution, I'm sure hundreds of you are already doing this. It was probably obvious to everyone but me. But I do love the level of customization this device affords.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    and if your good you can also put the title of the web page in the little square lol like so!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Show off.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    yeah the default browser page is infuriating
    good tip
    sorry but it was a pain to learn how to do this it took a couple of days to be able to get it the way i like it ha ha ha , and that bookmark page bites big time i agreeeeeee
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    sorry but it was a pain to learn how to do this it took a couple of days to be able to get it the way i like it ha ha ha , and that bookmark page bites big time i agreeeeeee
    how do you make sure you get the icon correct? any pointers. for myself it seems hit or miss.
    There are four lights.
    I do the same thing. I have one launcher page (the second page) dedicated to bookmarks and contacts.

I have the 4x4 installed with the new patch to remove the text below the icons. And I make sure the icon gets the site title. It looks really slick.

I also use LaunchPoint (now in the official app catalog) to create my contact shortcuts, so I get the pop-up for dial, text, or email. Honestly, I can't imagine a better system to have. I love it.
    you have to bring up the page your making the link for first and go in and copy the web address off it then open another one in google looking up icons for whatever web page you want or wherever your getting the icon from its your choice , then click on the square and drag around or even pinch and unpinch to resize and fit into the square . hit the done button then change the top line to the name of the web page and paste the address to the bottom line and hit add to launcher. if you get confused just message me and i will walk you through the best i can,from wherever you get stuck
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Someone has been working on making the Web starting page more usable.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...tart-page.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Someone has been working on making the Web starting page more usable.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...tart-page.html
    this is diff. these are web pages saved to the launcher page not the web browser page
    its much quicker to hit a link in the launcher than to open the web browser first lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Sorry, but that above post is borderline impossible to understand. Here's what to do to get nice icons for launcher web links:

1. Go to the site you want to bookmark. Copy the URL.
    2. Go to Google Image Search. Search for the site/company/whatever + icon. (________ icon) Often the results will be the icon from a related iphone app.
    3. From the search results w/ the image you want, go to Menu -> Page -> Add to Launcher
    4. Click on the box icon. Drag it around and pinch to zoom until you have a nice icon
    5. Click on the URL field in the "add to launcher" menu
    6. Paste the URL to the site you want to add to the launcher
    7. Edit the title to match the site
    Last edited by allergic; 10/24/2009 at 06:22 PM.
    i guess that just depends on who you are lol i tried following directions like yours and still got all screwy so whatever lol just trying to help
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    slightly OT, but I've also been using the 4x4 (ver 3) and no icon labels patches together, and it rocks. Really clean and uncluttered launcher pages.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Hot damn, precentral has done it again. Great idea and instructions!
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Thanks for the great idea! I've done it, and look forward to using it!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    this is diff. these are web pages saved to the launcher page not the web browser page
    its much quicker to hit a link in the launcher than to open the web browser first lol
    Yeah I get what was done, but I already have 4 Launcher pages and rather not make another one devoted to bookmarks. I rather just keep web on my quick launcher and wait for that patch. Just wanted to point out that another alternative is in the works soon as the changes are coded into a patch.
    and if your good you can also put the title of the web page in the little square lol like so!!!
    And if you're really good, you search for an image of the logo, bookmark that, but change the address to the site you want before you save to the launcher.

(the only one in the image is the facebook link which goes to lite.facebook.com)
    its sad that you guys have precentral so far down the list! :-)
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I'm not sure I'm understanding this thread correctly, so I'm maybe confused. Here is what I just did while reading. I open my browser and then went to my bookmarks then clicked on my you tube bookmark and went to the site on my phone. I noticed a "web" link up at the top left hand corner, I click on that and the option to add to my quick launch page or something like that it said, was there. I clicked the add to launcher, and now I have a shortcut to mobile you tube web site on my 1st quick launch page and it works. I don't understand why you would need a patch. Now I need to find out how to add more quick launch pages, this should have been opened up as part of the OS or as part of an update.
    I use a patch that shows all of my bookmarks in icon-form. To me that is the best of all worlds.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast