Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi - this is really not another Hero vs. Pre thread, I promise.

My son (who currently is using my old Treo 755p) wants to upgrade his phone, and so we looked at the Hero. We were impressed by the widget-based design, and he decided that he'd prefer the Hero to a Pre.

It really made me think about how I currently use my Pre, though. I usually close my cards, because I like to be able to see the wallpaper. I also had patched my Pre to not show the quick launch bar. After playing with the Hero, I decided that I wasn't taking advantage of the unique features of my phone. I then:

- Changed my wallpaper to a texture, so that open cards wouldn't obscure a picture.
    - Made my quick launch bar visible again, and took my most used apps (calendar, Google Tasks, email, messaging) off, because I'm just keeping them open. I'm also keeping my Weather Channel app open.
    - Replaced the above apps with ones that I don't necessarily want open all the time, but want quick access to (web, camera, and Dr. Podder currently)

Now I feel as though I have a more accessible system, similar to having widgets available via use of cards. My only remaining question is whether keeping a webpage (such as Google Tasks) open drain the battery.

Just throwing that concept out there, as it did make me rethink a bit.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Keeping all those cards open will definitely have an impact on your battery life. Having owned a 2600 Seidio battery for about 2 months now, I have no idea how I made it through the day with the standard battery. If you don't have a charger or a touchstone close by at all times when you're not on the go, the stock battery doesn't have a prayer of making it through a productive day. Adding the strain of having 4 or 5 cards open at all times, and I'd say you are a prime candidate for a bigger battery!

I was going to be fine with just the stock battery, after all, for my work I drive a lot so I was able to charge the phone while I was driving. However, I do have a lot of downtime too during work, and with all those new Apps just begging to be played with during my downtime, I knew the stock battery wouldn't last. Again, the bigger battery to the rescue....I still only get one day out of the battery, but that is a day of never charging it (unless I use Navigation), and some heavy duty use consisting of browsing the web, reading the news on News Room (great App), and playing all those puzzle games.

I don't know how long you have started to use your Pre as you just described, but does your phone make it through the day without charging?
    Yeah I'd have to agree with Manny. Typically my Pre lasts the entire day with my light usage but if I ever leave a few cards open, my Pre will die by lunch time even if my usage doesn't change.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Keeping all those cards open will definitely have an impact on your battery life. Having owned a 2600 Seidio battery for about 2 months now, I have no idea how I made it through the day with the standard battery. If you don't have a charger or a touchstone close by at all times when you're not on the go, the stock battery doesn't have a prayer of making it through a productive day. Adding the strain of having 4 or 5 cards open at all times, and I'd say you are a prime candidate for a bigger battery!

I don't know how long you have started to use your Pre as you just described, but does your phone make it through the day without charging?

I came to the reailzation that if you close the web browser, you can have 4-5 cards open at a time and not see a huge battery hit.

for me I was using the classic emulator, tasks, mail and usually another app like the medi app or calander. I would have these open starting with work at 730am, no charger, pleanty of intermittent use, more as reference and communication, and come home at 6pm with 20% to 12% battery.

then i bought a mugen power battery at 1400mah and leave work with 25% battery.

My place of work has FANTASTIC EVDO signal, and, that being one of, if not the biggest determinant of battery, makes a difference.

I found that the web was draining the heck out of the battery. i could lose 10% battery just sitting in my pocket. close that and battery usage falls to 5% or so, on the stock.

I also realized that many of my concerns about speed were do to the constant opening and closing of my most used apps (calander day switching is another issue *&@!)
    leaving them open means that switching to them is instant.

now with the data controls I have even better battery life.

the thing that worries me is call nights or long days, I couldn't go17 hours with out switching to the spare.

keeping cards open is for me a productivity night and day.
    i think it is how the pre is meant to be used.
    There are four lights.
  5.    #5  
    I found that the web was draining the heck out of the battery. i could lose 10% battery just sitting in my pocket. close that and battery usage falls to 5% or so, on the stock.
    Well, that's my biggest wonder - whether the web cards constantly refresh and drain battery.

I tend to not believe that having email / calendar / messaging cards open will have much of an impact, but I'll know more in a few days.

I have a Touchstone at home and work, a car charger, a travel charger, and a second battery for emergencies, so I'm not overly worried about battery drain.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post

I tend to not believe that having email / calendar / messaging cards open will have much of an impact,.
    I do feel like calendar may cause a bit of drain, i'm not sure and haven't gone about testing. I use tasks more frequently through the day than i do calendar, so I don't have it open in the background as much.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    well have a G1 loaded with Android 1.6 right in front of me and as far as I can tell you can't just close a program. i checked online because i said to myself this can not be. but yup, you need to download taskiller, open the program and then you can shutdown an app. you can also press home and the program drops to the background but it seems to continue to run in some for or another and drain battery life.
    in my opinion the pre's slide card off the top is a much cleaner and easier to close up a program.
    Hi - this is really not another Hero vs. Pre thread, I promise.

My son (who currently is using my old Treo 755p) wants to upgrade his phone, and so we looked at the Hero. We were impressed by the widget-based design, and he decided that he'd prefer the Hero to a Pre.

It really made me think about how I currently use my Pre, though. I usually close my cards, because I like to be able to see the wallpaper. I also had patched my Pre to not show the quick launch bar. After playing with the Hero, I decided that I wasn't taking advantage of the unique features of my phone. I then:

- Changed my wallpaper to a texture, so that open cards wouldn't obscure a picture.
    - Made my quick launch bar visible again, and took my most used apps (calendar, Google Tasks, email, messaging) off, because I'm just keeping them open. I'm also keeping my Weather Channel app open.
    - Replaced the above apps with ones that I don't necessarily want open all the time, but want quick access to (web, camera, and Dr. Podder currently)

Now I feel as though I have a more accessible system, similar to having widgets available via use of cards. My only remaining question is whether keeping a webpage (such as Google Tasks) open drain the battery.

Just throwing that concept out there, as it did make me rethink a bit.

I tried to leave the Weather Channel app opened, but it doesn't refresh itself automatically. Then, I tried to refresh and it just sat there. It doesn't do that after I close and reopen. I would like a weather app that can refresh itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    I tried to leave the Weather Channel app opened, but it doesn't refresh itself automatically. Then, I tried to refresh and it just sat there. It doesn't do that after I close and reopen. I would like a weather app that can refresh itself.
    i think bweather might refresh
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Web browser absolutely kills my battery and slows up my phone. I ALWAYS close it.
    thank you for posting this it was quite useful and I think really hits on the strength of the pre. I also found that the cards being open really doesn't effect nattery life much at all unless a web page is open. This is truly the way webos is meant to be ised.
  12.    #12  
    Well, it's helped me think it through further as well. If folks are finding that web cards are a drain, I won't leave my Google Tasks card open, or switch back to the built-in player. I also discovered that the Weather Channel app doesn't update, so I leave that closed as well.

Overall, though, I seem to be making much better use of WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppy785 View Post
    i think bweather might refresh
    thanks. I just downloaded it. It is a bit buggy, but it updates! How is weatherbug? I know it updates automatically as well.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Either you guys leaving cards open all the time are nutters or I'm extremely OCD because I can't stand leaving an app open after I've finished using it.

Haha, close those cards people!!!

- Tate
    Thanks, you have officially made me feel like an *****. :P

How did I not see this? It's so obvious.

I've been doing the same thing you were doing before. I never keep more than one or two cards open, and use the quicklaunch for things that I really should just keep open, and then get annoyed when I have to scroll through my launcher to find my flashlight app.

time to re-arrange my apps.

Seriously, thanks.
    I also had patched my Pre to not show the quick launch bar.
    Ok, so at the risk of someone giving me a hard time, which patch does this?? Longtime homebrewer, infrequent forum visitor.. I use Preware, and can't seem to find it... Maybe I'm dense.
    Last edited by Saltcreep; 10/24/2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreep View Post
    Ok, so at the risk of someone giving me a hard time, which patch does this?? Longtime homebrewer, infrequent forum visitor.. I use Preware, and can't seem to find it... Maybe I'm dense.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$'$s$ $not$ $in$ $preware$, $but$ $it$ $has$ $been$ $discussed$ $actively$ $even$ $in$ $the$ $last$ $few$ $days$. $A$ $very$ $brief$ $search$ $should$ $turn$ $it$ $up$ $for$ $you$.

However, I think the OP here really has the right idea. Hiding the quick launch and/or not keeping frequently used cards open is really ignoring the best part of the WebOS interface.
    Agreed the cards and multitasking are the best part of WebOS. But... it shouldnt have to be used to compensate for poor performance of the OS.

The apps listed by the OP in quicklaunch should be readiliy available and open/run immediately... that's why it's called Quicklaunch. The real fix is that Palm needs to get the OS and it's basic functions working at 'normal levels' and cards/multitasking be used when it's needed.

It's a good work around when you have no choice but it takes up resources and may be an issue when you have to really use another app and open another card and take more resources.

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    However, I think the OP here really has the right idea. Hiding the quick launch and/or not keeping frequently used cards open is really ignoring the best part of the WebOS interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Agreed the cards and multitasking are the best part of WebOS. But... it shouldnt have to be used to compensate for poor performance of the OS.

The apps listed by the OP in quicklaunch should be readiliy available and open/run immediately... that's why it's called Quicklaunch. The real fix is that Palm needs to get the OS and it's basic functions working at 'normal levels' and cards/multitasking be used when it's needed.

It's a good work around when you have no choice but it takes up resources and may be an issue when you have to really use another app and open another card and take more resources.
    I don't think its a work around I think running multiple apps in cards is how webos is supposed to work.

not that launching shouldn't be faster, just that this isn't some "fix" as much as a function, and a touted one at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I don't think its a work around I think running multiple apps in cards is how webos is supposed to work.

not that launching shouldn't be faster, just that this isn't some "fix" as much as a function, and a touted one at that.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast