Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreep View Post
    Ok, so at the risk of someone giving me a hard time, which patch does this?? Longtime homebrewer, infrequent forum visitor.. I use Preware, and can't seem to find it... Maybe I'm dense.
    Here you go:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-launcher.html
    Last edited by Bujin; 10/25/2009 at 07:33 AM.
    well, multitasking in general is really not a new concept... if you use windows then that's how windows is suppose to work too having the convenience of multiple windows up and running at the same time.

and you may be that type of person that does keep the same windows you work with every day up and never close them, keeping your computer in sleep instead of shutting down to wake the next day and still have those same windows.

but i am speaking for myself using windows... i have my quicklaunch with my most used apps to be accessable when i need it and i have multiple windows going on when i am working and when i don't need the app running, i shut it down cause... it's not necessary... i use my calendar and calculator all the time too... but i dont need to keep the window up when i have it on my quicklaunch for when i need it. for me, that's how it was designed to work. if you are that same type of person then why need to use cards like some are doing if they dont do it on their PC?

Quicklaunch is just as helpful as cards when it works but for the OP if you see what he is doing, he is moving his 'most used apps' into cards (let's be honest, because it takes too long too load) and he moves apps into the quicklaunch that he uses often but waiting to load is acceptable over his primary. it works for him... more power to him... but its still a workaround for what the quicklaunch was designed for and a workaround for the OS. And there is a real drawback in that it has to be taking resources to keep multiple cards up and running.

I have no doubt Palm will (better) address the performance issues and believe in the future it will be faster and it won't be an issue. And I would bet that once it is better, than many will actually not be keeping cards up for calculator or calendar or the phone app in cards when it can be up and running at a moments notice from the quicklaunch.

Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I don't think its a work around I think running multiple apps in cards is how webos is supposed to work.

not that launching shouldn't be faster, just that this isn't some "fix" as much as a function, and a touted one at that.
    Last edited by donm527; 10/25/2009 at 09:11 AM.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

Quicklaunch is just as helpful as cards when it works but for the OP if you see what he is doing, he is moving his 'most used apps' into cards (let's be honest, because it takes too long too load) and he moves apps into the quicklaunch that he uses often but waiting to load is acceptable over his primary. it works for him... more power to him... but its still a workaround for what the quicklaunch was designed for and a workaround for the OS. And there is a real drawback in that it has to be taking resources to keep multiple cards up and running.
    I sort of agree with you. However, I didn't take them off my quicklaunch because I was dissatisfied with load times (in the grand scheme of things, waiting a second or two isn't a big deal for me), but rather that it's simply more efficient if they're already open. An argument could also be made that opening / closing continually is more of a CPU load then keeping cards open. As I said, it was really inspired by the widgets on the Hero. Instant access is always a good thing.

So I don't see it as a workaround, as much as maximizing the ability to use WebOS, and have both my most common apps open and also have a separate quicklaunch set of apps - making my work more efficient.

That being said, I never said it was for everyone, so keep doing what works for you.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Thanks, you have officially made me feel like an *****. :P

How did I not see this? It's so obvious.

I've been doing the same thing you were doing before. I never keep more than one or two cards open, and use the quicklaunch for things that I really should just keep open, and then get annoyed when I have to scroll through my launcher to find my flashlight app.

time to re-arrange my apps.

Seriously, thanks.
    My 2 cents , do not open launcher for your favorite app,
    slide the keyboard type the name of the app ( just two letters would be suffice), you will notice the app show up on search.

This is a must have feature in all smart phones.
    The importance of this feature cannot be overstated.
    I give full marks to PALM for doing this search thing,.
    agreed. if it works well for ya then that's all that matter. to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    That being said, I never said it was for everyone, so keep doing what works for you.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    slide the keyboard type the name of the app ( just two letters would be suffice), you will notice the app show up on search.

That is a terrific feature; however, if you arrange your launcher pages, some items can be opened even quicker than Universal Search. For example, I have 5 pages: (1) most used apps, (2) Internet apps / shortcuts, (3) multimedia, (4) games / lesser used apps, and (5) stuff I never look at.

I rarely need to use pages 4 or 5 because of Universal Search. But because I have few enough items on the first three pages, I never have to scroll down, and so I can easily open the launcher and swipe sideways to get to most of the apps I use daily.

Add that strategy to the open cards / quick launch items, and it's a pretty efficient experience.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Watched a video on youtube....about 1 min out of 3. Had to pause it, and responded to a text msg. Noticed about 5 mins later (doing other things) that the video was in the background and it had an error msg about its playback. I turned off the screen and ignored it.

Looked at the phone about 45 mins later and realized I had suddenly gone from 87% battery to 13% battery. It was the only app open and in the background.

Moral of the story...close any demanding apps...especially if they crash...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I don't think its a work around I think running multiple apps in cards is how webos is supposed to work.
    I agree. A lot of people seem to love the idea of an "active" home screen, but that just seems messy to me and you can achieve essentially the same effect by just having a couple of cards open. The little bit I've seen of the Android widget stuff hasn't blown me away ... seems kind of "gimmicky" to me and I much prefer the nice, clean look of WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post

Yeah it took me a while to get used to universal search, but it's so powerful... if I want information on anything.. I just type it in and hit enter and it searches the phone or the web.. it's awesome. You eliminate so many steps.. no need to touch the apps button, hit the web button, type in the name of what i'm looking for and hit enter.. now it's just type and enter and it's there.. it's pure genius!
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    Watched a video on youtube....about 1 min out of 3. Had to pause it, and responded to a text msg. Noticed about 5 mins later (doing other things) that the video was in the background and it had an error msg about its playback. I turned off the screen and ignored it.

Looked at the phone about 45 mins later and realized I had suddenly gone from 87% battery to 13% battery. It was the only app open and in the background.

Moral of the story...close any demanding apps...especially if they crash...lol
    I think you definitely need to close any apps that poll or continually access the web (such as youtube, sprint nav, any streaming sites), but I've been running email, calendar and messaging for the last 2 days, with no noticeable difference in battery life. I just started running Agenda as well: I had uninstalled it for awhile because of battery drain issues, but they seem to be worked out. And it allows you to search the calendar - yay!

I really dig this thread.
    Great thread. Should be very helpful for those trying to find the fastest ways to use webOS. Several comments...
    well have a G1 loaded with Android 1.6 right in front of me and as far as I can tell you can't just close a program. i checked online because i said to myself this can not be. but yup, you need to download taskiller, open the program and then you can shutdown an app. you can also press home and the program drops to the background but it seems to continue to run in some for or another and drain battery life.
    in my opinion the pre's slide card off the top is a much cleaner and easier to close up a program.
    Using a task killer app isn't necessary. Android manages memory resources itself; it closes apps on its own when it determines that the resources are needed by an app that is actively being used. I downloaded Taskiller the first day I had my Hero because everyone said you had to have a task killer app. But I quickly found out that you really can let Android manage everything most of the time.
    I agree. A lot of people seem to love the idea of an "active" home screen, but that just seems messy to me and you can achieve essentially the same effect by just having a couple of cards open. The little bit I've seen of the Android widget stuff hasn't blown me away ... seems kind of "gimmicky" to me and I much prefer the nice, clean look of WebOS.
    What is this thread all about if not the problem that most people can't get used to leaving cards open so that essential apps are immediately available? Android accomplishes the same thing with widgets and scenes. I guess it's just a matter of taste, but the nice, clean look of webOS is, to the extent demonstrated in this thread, a preference that actually leads to inefficiency.
    Yeah it took me a while to get used to universal search, but it's so powerful... if I want information on anything.. I just type it in and hit enter and it searches the phone or the web.. it's awesome.
    Except that it doesn't search for data on the phone, like calendar events or tasks. If webOS had a true universal search, it would be much more powerful.