Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've tethered my pre to my laptop using MyTether (wifi tether not usb) but i was informed by a so called "experienced" smart phone user who used to tether with his blackberry that Sprint will tack on extra charges when the notice the increase in bandwidth, I have the unlimited data plan so i should be allotted as much bandwidth as i want right? If I'm not and they do notice/charge when they see exesive amounts of bandwidth being drawn to your phone then do would t be smart to not tether all together or can i do it occasionally?
    Mildly unrelated, i manages to play World of Warcraft over my tethered connection and my latency was only 107
    Quote Originally Posted by wo0ts View Post
    I have the unlimited data plan so i should be allotted as much bandwidth as i want right?
    Wrong. Sprint's idea of unlimited data is 5 GB/month. Currently Sprint does not allow tethering, so if you use it you do so at your own risk. They probably won't do anything if you use it occasionally but there are always the abusers who tether 24/7 downloading movies, music, etc.
    As long as you aren't constantly watching movies, downloading music, etc, I've been okay. I used it while on vacation (airports, hotels, etc.), so I don't use it 24/7. Just don't abuse it.
    Look many of the Apps that come with the Phone stay connected . Unless they have a filter that monitors what you are doing there is no way they can tell where the Data is being pulled from ( Tether or just normal Data).

I'm not on tether with this yet but with my Instinct i averaged a bit over 5G when I used that and that included Ustream Streaming, The Pre I'm average around 4g a month just running Apps and Facebook and so forth .

With WebOS you can have stuff running in the background and pulling all the time so Data is going to be high. The browser I find is just as good and I find myself using it to do Updates to stuff if working on something else on mu computer because it works just as well.

I use ORB so it's not tether but I can watch movies all day long if I want
  5.    #5  
    ah i see, thats what i was thinking they do because i know verizons unlimited data plan is 5gb/month
    so what would be the penalty for exceeding the 5gb or getting close to it
    can i check how much of my 5gb iv used so far this month?
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    Look many of the Apps that come with the Phone stay connected . Unless they have a filter that monitors what you are doing there is no way they can tell where the Data is being pulled from ( Tether or just normal Data).

I'm not on tether with this yet but with my Instinct i averaged a bit over 5G when I used that and that included Ustream Streaming, The Pre I'm average around 4g a month just running Apps and Facebook and so forth .

With WebOS you can have stuff running in the background and pulling all the time so Data is going to be high. The browser I find is just as good and I find myself using it to do Updates to stuff if working on something else on mu computer because it works just as well.

I use ORB so it's not tether but I can watch movies all day long if I want

4GB! just apps and facebook!? Do you have wifi at home or work?
    Quote Originally Posted by wo0ts View Post
    so what would be the penalty for exceeding the 5gb or getting close to it
    can i check how much of my 5gb iv used so far this month?
    I don't know what the penalty would be for exceeding 5GB/month but you can check your usage on your Sprint account site.
    lol yes at Home but at Work I'm in the field doing a ton of driving so Nav and Pandora gets used a lot during the day. I use a Touchstone for Power and a T505 for radio connection so I would think thats where most of my Data comes from. i also run Nascar in car feed so thats a few hours every sunday.

I guess what i'm saying is that's why they force a Data plan on you so to come back and say your using it to much is not going to happen. I also think the 5G CAP is for Roaming not when on the Sprint network.
  9.    #9  
    ah ok well im going to use it on and off for the rest of the month and then take a look at my bill and see if they charged anything. i'm wondering if i can get away with playin WoW a couple hours a week on it XD
    I don't have the chat transcript or a recording of the conversation that I had with Sprint customer service, but I was told that "unlimited data" meant exactly that, and that the 5 GB cap applied to data only plans like wireless cards.

That said, I still wouldn't push it, to be on the safe side. I wouldn't want to ruin the option for myself or anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    Its my understanding that a Packet Sniffer App of somesorts can follow the packets from sprint through the Pre to the tethered computer. If used it would show that those packets of data traveled through 2 devices not 1. Giving Sprint the ability to see you are tethering. I know they can do it. Not that they are, but they can if they become suspicious or if your behavior is affecting their network too much. I know ATT can do it.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    So is this cap just on Phone-As-Modem, and Datacard users?

This cap doesn't affect PowerVision, and Vision users. Right?

That is correct - only PAM and Datacard. Data used on your handset under your Powervision and Vision plan is NOT impacted.
    Keep in mind 5 GIGabytes is a huge chunk of data.

Will
    Sprint Admin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We DO NOT have a 5gb cap on our internet usage, This is for air cards and PAM ONLY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I don't know what the penalty would be for exceeding 5GB/month but you can check your usage on your Sprint account site.
    this 5gb limit is only for data cards.....theres no limit on the pre bc there's no plan for it yet bc its not allowed but the 5gb/month is not for the pre its only for data cards
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I installed MyTether in August before I went on vacation to a place tha did not provide WiFi. I used MyTether all the way to Florida (we drove from NC) and while on vacation. It works well if you are in an area that has a good 3G connection. This last WebOS update killed the tether and I had to re-install it, but it work great again. I too, was worried that Sprint would hike up my bill, but they did not. As long as you do not abuse it, it will be OK. I was looking at puchasing a MiFI card, but decided against it when they told us that the "unlimited" plan allowed only 5gb of usage. For now, I will go with MyTether.
    I was looking at puchasing a MiFI card, but decided against it when they told us that the "unlimited" plan allowed only 5gb of usage.
    i believe the term "unlimited" has been removed from the sprint aircard plan descriptions for some time, now. If you look at sprint.com, it is clear that the 3G aircard is limited to 5Gb. WiMax will be unlimited, btw. Phone-as-modem information is harder to come by on the website, but as Will points out, the 5Gb limit still only applies to
    PAM and not to on-phone data usage. If you exceed the 5Gb limit, you pay $.05 per Mb (compared to $.49/Mb with AT&T).

For what it's worth, I recommend waiting for 4G WiMax if you want an aircard. Speeds will be incredible and there will be no limit on the amount of data you can use. Until then, use tethering only if you must.
    I had this specific conversation with customer service, the 5gb cap is for their air cards, the smart phones have unlimited data, obviously if you used 500gb they will cancel your service. But I was on vacation for a solid month with no internet in july/august and I used tethering almost everyday. A month of 7gb and a month of like 5gb, no overage charges, no customer service calls. All was well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Wrong. Sprint's idea of unlimited data is 5 GB/month. Currently Sprint does not allow tethering, so if you use it you do so at your own risk. They probably won't do anything if you use it occasionally but there are always the abusers who tether 24/7 downloading movies, music, etc.
    Sorry, that's not quite correct either. There is no 5gb limit, as a matter of fact, I seldom tether, and almost constantly exceed 5gb. There was such a monitored limiet on other devices, but not on the Pre.

However, Sprint can (and seemingly does) monitor what type of services a user runs, as well as their bandwidth, and even the IP addresses of the devices on "their" network. So, when they see traffic across your public IP address going to a private IP address, they know you're tethering. If they (currently) see you running Flash, they know it's not on the Pre. If they see you running services that the Pre can't/doesn't run, they know.

There have been users on here that have reported getting warnigs from Sprint about tethering, but in every case I've seen, it wasn't casual "when I need it" use, but someone getting carried away.

I'd agree that as long as it's occasional use, you won't get gigged.
    A bit off topic, but I have a Pre that I got from someon off CL. It turns out that even though I didn't activate it the previous owner it seems didn't fully have the pre deactivated. I can't use the Pre to make a phone call but I can use it to access data or tether. My question is will it show up on his bill or will sprint even notice what's going on? Thanks
    That's odd. You can't make phone calls, but you can get on the Internetz?? Can you send text messages from his number?
    Doesn't look like I can send txt.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast