1.    #1  
    the sprint employee that I have my account through is leaving sprint, and I have a couple more weeks to get my upgrade through him and not have my contract extend another 2 years. I am debating between the pre/hero/moment.

I really wanted a pre when they first came out, but have heard lots of build problems. the 3 people I know with a pre though have no problems with theirs. I havent got to play with the hero yet, and obviously not the moment. the sprint employee told me the initial evaluation users who used the moment disliked its keyboard, didnt give me specifics though. this guy has a pre and tells me thats the route to go. here are the few things Ive heard rumors of, but cant find any real recent info as to whether its truthful or not.

*some kind of driver for graphics hardware acceleration or something (when using the web browser, after the page has loaded, scrolling through the page, you see that grey and white checkerboard pattern as the phone struggles to keep up with loading whatever part of the page you want to view onto the screen. I have seen video reviews of the hero showing that it doesnt do this, I dont think it did it on the G1(only android device ive played with)

*virtual keyboard- sure when texting and stuff in portrait the hardware KB is fine, but when browsing the web in landscape, i want a virtual KB. Ive seen the hack to get the virtual kb that just tweaks a symbol input setup or something, but it says its only good for typing in the web address, not for fillling in form info. WHAT GOOD IS THAT?

*will developers ever get access to the accelerometer more than just a 4x/sec sample? games and g force apps cant work off only 4x/second info.

*will this always get webOS updates? not sure how palm has been in the past, never had a plam device. but how android devices had 1.5, already have 1.6(not sprint though) and 2.0 will be out and I think even the G1 will probably get it, is there going to be a time soon where theres new palm devices out with webOS thats a newer version that they wont release an update for the PRE to run the new version?

*also, do the updates have to be over the air or can it be done through a pc(without rooting the phone or whatever), where I live there is only 3G, not EVDO, and 60MB would take FOREVER.

*visual voicemail, I dont have it now, but my wife does on her instinct and I want to have it now, I heard of fusion phone or something and getting it that way, plus I have google voice so if they create an app for that like they already have for the iphone and BB, and the 3rd party android GV app, I could do it that way, Im guessing pre has call forwarding options?

*lastly, if I were to get the phone and decide to root it and play with all the hacks out there, does that void any warranty, or can you just reset it to factory defaults easily? if you f something up can you still easily reset it?

one thing thats holding me back from the androids is that 1.6 has been out already and the moment is still shipping with 1.5 and no date specified for 1.6 and I really dont like knowing theres an update that I cant have for some unknown reason. I do like all the apps though, my friends got tons of them and most he has were free. I really like the pre but dont wanna get it and then have all my friends get the hero/moment and then wish thats the route Id taken.
    what ever issues the pre has im all in and its worth it in my eyes .they already have access to the accelerometer as far as know lol, updates are over the air, yes there is a google app., no your warranty would not be void thats why palm provided webos doctor, so not matter how bad you mess up your phone you can always bring it back from the dead with the doctor. and if you end up needing a replacement you just web doc it and go .its under warranty unless you actually break the phone or fry something inside it lol . but thats not very likely at all .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Early adoption is a rocky road, but well worth it for some people. If you have to guts to mod it, this phone is AMAZING.
    yea get one if you want to have every caculator app ever made and some toys r us games that you have to chase through homebrew and install through your computer that will take you a week to figure out.also,if you want to put a piece of paper in your battery so it doesnt shut off when you close the slider and takes 1hr to reboot itself.lets not forgot about all the patches you have to do just to get message forwarding on your phone that wont allow you to forward the text with writing if it has a picture with it. i had message forwarding on my cell phones back in 1998!!!!!!!!then you will be reading this board every minute of the day like the rest of us and have no life and wonder if it will ever get better.Android has been out for a year and they 8000 apps....iphone 3 years 85000 apps.....palm pre 6 months......maybe 500!!!!!!!go get one today before nokia buys them out>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Feel better????
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    you should go to the android forums and read all the problems people are having over there
    Go to the store and play for like an hour on the devices. That's the only way to really know if you initially like the feel of it.
    im a big htc fan no doubt but, android sucks......
    your 3 friends who have the pre are prolly your best point of reference....but if you like being an early adopter then get the pre...To me its fun watching this thing grow...

if you want everything now get something that has what you want...
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I got my Pre on launch day and never have regretted it. I came from an Instinct, and while he Pre lacks some of the Instinct's capabilities, I still love the Pre. The Pre is still a baby and will have some growing pains, but well worth it. IT works seamlessly with Google and I love Synergy. You should see if you could borrow your friends Pre for an hour or so and play around in it. When my year was up with the Instinct (not a fan if the Instinct) I was going to get a Bberry and then I heard about the Pre and I was hooked from day one. The Pre has WiFi as well, and so, you could download all the updates using WiFi. The lack of a Virtual Keyboard is a pain, but you get used to it over time. As as female it sucks, because I cannot have long finger nails, because I cannot type on the keys . The Pre rocks and I LOVE Web OS.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    they already have access to the accelerometer as far as know lol.
    I know they do, but from what I read, they can only pull info from the accelerometer 4 times a second, which isnt enough to use it as a game controller for steering or anything like that, and especially not enough to allow a developer to make an app to function like an acceleration measuring tool (iphone has one but not sure what its called, and its adyno on android)

which would be the first app Id buy if it were available. even if it isnt the most accurate thing, its probably at least consistent enough to compare vehicles back to back.

I was planning on going down to phoenix to the sprint store beginning of november to play with them all(my local sprint store finally has a working pre) , but I have no spare sprint phone and my rants about to die (yellow colors are flourescent blue, bottom of screen is at the top sometimes, screen goes distorted and I have no idea who im calling or whos calling me, etc..) so I need to decide as it will take about a week minimum to get my phone after I choose it since the employee has to go get it for me and ship it to me)

anyone have a pre that is quick to load text/images while scrolling through web pages?

and I actually like playing around with things and modding them. the biggest problem I have with the pre is the lack of a landscape keyboard(or ability to get one through a 3rd party), which isnt a big deal, but I think if the phone is capable of web surfing in landscape, I should get to type that way as well... I know a couple people with android as well, and they love it. but they also like the pre, the pre guys dont really like android, and both sides hate winMO...
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt02 View Post
    I know they do, but from what I read, they can only pull info from the accelerometer 4 times a second, which isnt enough to use it as a game controller for steering or anything like that, and especially not enough to allow a developer to make an app to function like an acceleration measuring tool (iphone has one but not sure what its called, and its adyno on android)

which would be the first app Id buy if it were available. even if it isnt the most accurate thing, its probably at least consistent enough to compare vehicles back to back.

I was planning on going down to phoenix to the sprint store beginning of november to play with them all(my local sprint store finally has a working pre) , but I have no spare sprint phone and my rants about to die (yellow colors are flourescent blue, bottom of screen is at the top sometimes, screen goes distorted and I have no idea who im calling or whos calling me, etc..) so I need to decide as it will take about a week minimum to get my phone after I choose it since the employee has to go get it for me and ship it to me)

anyone have a pre that is quick to load text/images while scrolling through web pages?

and I actually like playing around with things and modding them. the biggest problem I have with the pre is the lack of a landscape keyboard(or ability to get one through a 3rd party), which isnt a big deal, but I think if the phone is capable of web surfing in landscape, I should get to type that way as well... I know a couple people with android as well, and they love it. but they also like the pre, the pre guys dont really like android, and both sides hate winMO...

just a word, make sure the pre, and any other phones you play with in store have the most uptodate software. when i went to play with a hero last week, i also played with the instore pre a little. (I have my own, but it is patched and wanted to feel a stock device)

anyway, when looking in the device info i was shocked to find it running not 1.2.1, not even 1.1, but 1.0.4. I don't know why it hadn't auto updated but it kept running an annoying "tour" which i had to close every 10 seconds.
    There are four lights.
  13.    #13  
    well I went into the local store to play with the pre, and when I found the "system" card or whatever it would be called, there was a hardware tab and a software tab. not sure if thats where id look, it had version numbers for everything, maps, i think even calender, really there were so many I cant remember any beside the one I paid attention to. next to "phone" it said 1.1 but when I clicked on updates it searched for a second and then said that the phone was up to date???

but when I went to the camera, and took a couple pics, then went to the gallery, the first time it asked me how to view them I guess and I clicked on photo roll, didnt happen instantly but it wasnt too bad I guess. scrolling through the pictures was just alright as far as speed goes, but if you quickly decided to scroll the otherway it had a good amount of lag.

also in google maps, when I clicked on "get directions" I waited a long time and didnt think it was gonna work and was about to close it and then all of the sudden the input address screen popped up.

went back to the camera and took a couple more pics, then hit the little icon for the gallery, didnt ask me anything this time but it slid the camera card off to the side and nothing happened for a couple seconds (I was thinking *** is going on here...) and then it brought up the pics.

does shutting down/restarting have any great effect on the speed of this thing? I am not sure what all was on except I know wifi was on and BT was off. I had all other apps closed as well.

so far Im looking towards the android devices, except my friend with his android phone says 1.6 update took away his virtual landscape keyboard. he has the G1 though so doesnt really need it. but the mytouch 3g im assuming lost it also and it needs it because it has no real KB...

both guys in the store told me to get the hero as well, or wait for the moment.