1.    #1  
    So I'm on my 4th Pre. My 2nd one was kind of a gift because there was nothing really wrong with the first one. I lost the 2nd one, and ordered a replacement. So the 3rd one, (the replacement) came this week, but it kept on resetting by itself, so I took it to Sprint and they ordered me a new one. That one arrived today. To make this simple, here is the center button breakdown for my Pre's.

Pre #1- White Pearl
    Pre #2- Shiny Metallic
    Pre #3- Shiny Metallic
    Pre #4- White Pearl

Should I be concerned that my 4th Pre has regressed back to the original hardware that was the first wave of Pre's?

I know when they sent out the newer ones with the shiny metallic looking center buttons, they had also resolved some issues that people were having with their batteries, causing the Pre to reset or something. And the hardware felt better overall. This Pre feels a little stiff when it slides, (not a smooth snappy feel) but other than that is fine. Should I be disappointed or is there really nothing to worry about? Basically, was there a known issue with the Pre's that had the original white pearly looking center buttons?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I have the pearl and have had mine since Aug 27. No problems to report. I think you should just use it and see how it works for you. Don't prejudge it.

BTW, why did you get the second one for no reason?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    I have the pearl and have had mine since Aug 27. No problems to report. I think you should just use it and see how it works for you. Don't prejudge it.

BTW, why did you get the second one for no reason?
    Well there was a reason, but it ended up being nothing. My keyboard was not responding so I took it in to Sprint... they couldnt figure it out so they ordered me a brand new one. The minute I left the store to go home, it started working again. My new one arrived but I wasn't in any rush to go pick it up since mine was working just fine. One day I dropped my phone and it got a little ding on the side. Went straight to Sprint and was like, "...yeah i'm here to pick up my new phone." No questions asked they swapped it out.
    why did you have so many pre's???
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by makokiller View Post
    why did you have so many pre's???
    1st one was fine until the keyboard started acting up, but was fine again...
    2nd one i lost
    3rd one arrived defective out of the box
    on my 4th now
    It seems people are in two camps.

Gone through 3+ Pre's
    or
    On their original.

Wonder what the real percentage of each is?
    I wouldn't be worried about having an older refurbished Pre. If they did not refurbish it properly, you should see any problems within the first couple of days. Many of us are on our original launch day Pre's and they have stood up well against the test of time so far.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBradford View Post
    It seems people are in two camps.

Gone through 3+ Pre's
    or
    On their original.

Wonder what the real percentage of each is?
    I'm guessing that the vast majority of those on their original Pre simply never report the fact, while those with multiple Pre are (relatively) quick to do so. So, my guess is it's a very high percentage of single Pre owners.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I have a pre I bought a week ago and the build date is something like august 20th. It has a pearly button. Not refurb either. Looks metallic when the phone is on though.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm guessing that the vast majority of those on their original Pre simply never report the fact, while those with multiple Pre are (relatively) quick to do so. So, my guess is it's a very high percentage of single Pre owners.

I couldn't agree more. If the problems with the Pre were as common and widespread as they sound reading this forum, Palm would have gone bankrupt a month after launch.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I couldn't agree more. If the problems with the Pre were as common and widespread as they sound reading this forum, Palm would have gone bankrupt a month after launch.
    I totally agree too. I started a thread a few weeks after launch called, "Is it just me, or is anybody else's Pre just fine?" I started it because all you read about in these forums are the problems people have. I would just observe and wonder how lucky I was to have a good working Pre. I started to play head games with myself thinking there had to be something wrong with my phone. So I started to thread to see how many other people were in the same boat. Alot of people responded. That was reassurance for me. I'm sure a ton of people are on their first Pre. I would be if I never dropped my 1st, or lost my 2nd. The OS has been fine for me. I've loaded homebrews, patches and themes, and its never gone awry.